Radioactive’s 2.5K Post GAW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Radioactive’s 2.5K Post GAW!

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Happy hump day everyone :). I recently hit the 2500 posts mark here on the Spyderco forum and that means it’s now time for a give-away! I have learned a vast amount from the very kind and knowledgeable senior members here, and I hope that I have returned the favor in a small way to some of the newer members (at least I hope I have ;)). Plus, it goes without saying that the root cause of all this goodness stems from the character and genius of Sal Glesser, his family, the entire Spydercrew and the outstanding group of collaborators that Spyderco has worked with over the decades.

To show my appreciation and spread the love, I’ve got not one but two brand new lightweight FRN Native 5s with CPM-S35VN steel to give away to two forum members here who post in this thread what they’ve been most impressed with from their time spent here on the forum or in their dealings with Spyderco. This could be a special interaction you had with Sal, the Spydercrew or any of the forum members. Even better, is there anything you learned from Sal or someone else here that you’ve integrated into your own life? For me, it would have to be to daily reminders to keep up the spirit of moving forward with integrity and honesty even if the path ahead seems difficult or dark (and boy, don’t they sometimes these days?) and there usually is no such thing as an easy out.

So please feel free to share your own experience and whether or not you’d like to be entered into the running for one of the two N5s. At the end of the month, I’ll tally up the entries of folks who want to play and use a random number generator to pick two winners. Only condition is that you have to be a forum member with a minimum of 20 posts and live in the US (to avoid international shipping costs and customs snafus). Disclaimer on the knives is that they are results of blade swaps I did today with some of my older Native 5’s (my Ti and G10 ones) so they have the original satin finish blades, not the newer bead-blasted finish coming out of the Golden factory these days. The knives are of course 100% perfectly functional, otherwise I would never even think to offer them up. Here they are:

Game on everyone, and of course…

Many cheers, Radioactive (Paul) :)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
farnorthdan

Re: Radioactive’s 2.5K Post GAW!

Post by farnorthdan »

This is a very kind gesture by you Paul, in and of its self one of the biggest reasons I love this forum. I do not want to be entered in the contest as I would rather see maybe a newer member win one of your knifes (lord only knows I have way too many already :D ), I'm sure there is a more worthy memeber who would love to have one of these.

Our forum here is without a doubt my favorite forum on the interwebs. One of the things I love the most is the Aura of camaraderie and respect for each other that I find here, the minimal amount of fighting and the way members here have of not making newcomers feel dumb for asking basic questions that have been asked so many times. I love the vast amount of :spyder: knowledge that can be found here and am constantly amazed by just how much I don't know about these knifes we love, especially the older models.

I also really like how it feels like a team effort when new :spyder:'s drop and everyone works diligently to make sure all our brothers and sisters here get/find one for their collections. I know without this team effort there would have been many I would have missed out on.

Again, good on you Paul and congrats on 2500 informative posts and all the great pictures you always add. :) :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paul,

Congrats on 2500 post. I am enjoying them, especially with pictures. :)
I also do not want to enter the contest. As much as I love FFG Natives there are many people, who need one of these knives more than I do.
Thank you,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks RS, that's a really cool gesture! Lord knows I don't need more knives but I'm going to play anyway just for the fun of having a chance to win something and a chance to try a new steel! Once I get bored of it I'll see that it makes it into the hands of someone down here who really needs it. :)

The biggest thing I've learned around here is how to conduct oneself with tact, respect, courtesy and diplomacy. The biggest lessons in that have come from Sal himself, but those lessons seem to spread throughout the entire forum and all its members and I see them in action on a daily basis around here. Makes this a nice place to hang out and makes me try to act my best. I swear I think it even transcends this small forum and has affected my behavior with the outside world. Good stuff...thanks to all.

p.s. Don't worry RS, you can send mine to Louisiana when I win. ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Great contribution here, Paul, very generous and inspiring in the name of fun!

This forum is undoubtedly one the greatest compilations of knowledge and photos of Spyderco goods, but even more, it's just simply a nice calm place to enjoy sharp things with others, without all the drama involved like on many other forums around the net.
Interacting and discussing topics with actual collaborators and designers is always amazing as well.
:spyder:

I definitely hear what Lance is saying, too. The courtesy and kindness (this thread is a prime example) rubs off, and can be contagious! :D
Going back to Caly.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Radioactive Spyder, congratulations on the 2,500 posts. And thank you for doing a GAW, I'd love to enter!

My favorite aspect of these forums is the level of interaction and transparency between Spyderco and us.

To have Ed Schempp explain the significance of the S90v/CPM154 composite, a discussion leading to the Mini K2 being on the drawing board, or any number of Sal's Casual Bombshells are perfect examples of the nature of this forum.

This is a very unique place, and not just within the knife industry.
Last edited by Able Dog on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Thanks for the chance radioactive

I guess my favorite part of this forum is it gives me a way to enjoy all of spyderco line up while only owning a few mysef.

I have also enjoyed the folks here. From the owner on down this is a company I'm proud of and it's awesome I get to take part in it in my little way.

This place is someplace special to me.

I have anxiety issues and this is always a calm place to get my head together.

I'd be lost without y ou all.
Last edited by JAfromMN on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Dear Rad. Spyder. ,

Thank you for the great GAW, but exclude me from it as I have enough Natives to last 7 lifetimes and I want to give other brothers & sisters a better shot.

I have learned A LOT from everyone here and I would absolutely LOVE to have many of the members here as next-door-neighbors. You, sir, are one that fits that profile because the nature of ALL of your posts is very congenial and warm!

One specific real-life takeaway I have from the boards here is when I watched a YouTube video of Ed Schempp talking about his development of his Balance design and how he was mindful of dialysis nurses having a need of a slim profile edge that punched above it's weight class. With that in mind I gifted my physician who also works in the E.R. a stainless Equilibrium this past Christmas. It was amazing to see the child-like joy in a grown man's eyes for what he thought to be the coolest little knife he'd ever seen-- and to boot he quickly figured out how to open/close it even though he'd admittedly never operated a knife with a liner/frame lock before, or a Spyderco for that matter. He said, " I always wanted one of these 'hole in the blade' knives" ;) :spyder: and I thought the man was gonna cry. I have a check up planned for May and I can't wait to see if he has put it in service...I'm betting he has! Thanks again Radioactive Spyder AND everyone!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm torn. I don't think I could decide if I'm more impressed with the civility and sense of community here, or with the way Sal and Spyderco participate and interact with the forum. The first reply I got to my very first thread was some guy named Sal who at the time I didn't even know the significance of answering my questions. While I'm sure Sal is a smart enough businessman to know the impact that he has by doing such simple gestures, I also know that being that smart businessman he surely has "more important things to do" or at least more demanding things pertaining to the actual business, and as they say time is money.

If not those two things, I'd definitely have to say it's the amount of user feedback that Spyderco takes in and how over the nearly 6 years I've been here I've seen things go from thread discussion to reality. The topic of the week could very well be the hot new knife next year, and that is something you just don't get from a lot of companies.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks Radioactive.

There are many knife companies out there and some I really like. However, Spyderco stands heads above every company out there, as far as I am concerned. One of the reasons is Sal. Posting on this forum, Sal has taken an interest in my wife a couple of times and I really appreciate it. When she has asked for something he has responded favorably and, after a little wait, there was the knife being produced. My wife is impressed with Spyderco. Spyderco and Sal are wife approved.
Now, all this may not sound too interesting to many. After all, they live in the comforts of the USA. But, we moved to Southeast Asia and are a long way from home. Such gestures by Sal and Spyderco mean a lot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'm greatly impressed by the atmosphere here that's calm, humble and supportive. The biggest influence is of course Sal that infused all around him and that really shows!

Spydercrews are great too, can you imagine someone as busy as Charlynn sending out screws for knife that is least expenses (FRN Cara2)?

Thank you for the opportunity to try out new steel, if I win, you can send it to CA. Very generous of you :spyder:
Chris :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Awesome GAW!! I've learned a lot here since joining. The first thing that comes to mind for me is how friendly and helpful the Spyderco community is. I've felt welcomed from the start and appreciate that. There are some forums on the web that I refuse to be a part of due to their lack of common decency and lack of respect for others. This forum is just the opposite. I'm proud to be a member here and part of the Spyderco community.

Another thing that's really impressed me is how well Sal & company supports their customers. When I started reading some of the threads discussing Spyderco's customer service I knew the Spyderco brand was for me. I was already sold on the designs but seeing Sal and gang interact with members here sealed it for me. I now have several Spyderco knives and there are more on the way.

Congratulations on reaching 2500 posts. I would like to be entered in your GAW. My son is going into the Marines next summer. I think a N5 LW would make a great first Spyderco knife for him. Thanks for the opportunity.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Congrats Radioactive, and thanks for the generosity. I've stayed out of other GAW but I don't have a LW Native so I'll give it a shot.

My favorite overall thing about this forum is the sense of collaboration and companionship. I've belonged to some forums where new people were flamed on and if you asked a "newbie" question, you got yelled at. Here people come to discover the brand, or find out more about the company and are welcomed with friendliness and enthusiasm.

This is truly a great place, inhabited by great people and administered and run by the best. :spyder:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Super generous Radioactive! I am in for one.

One thing that amazes me about this forum and it goes along with what Lance has said is the way this forums seems to self police itself. Sal has set the expectations for forum behavior but beyond that it amazes me how well the forum runs with as little moderation as possible. That really does speak to the character of Spyderco and the members around here.

I am fortunate and live local to Spyderco. I actually work in Golden at a different company. I have been able to meet not just Sal but the rest of his family as well. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Joyce and Charlynn as well. The nice folks in the SFO know me all too well and allow me to come in and fondle any and all of the knives and they know I am just there to see the new stuff. They saw me coming the other day and were getting ready to put the Tighe and Myrtle on the shelf and broke them both out for me to fondle on their way into the display case. Every time I have run into Sal which has been a few times now he has always been fun to talk with and he always has a cool knife in his pocket, usually a cool prototype. Sal seems to really enjoy interacting with the ELUs. I brought a knife in once for a little TLC and Gail happened to be hanging out in the SFO and she approached me and asked what I needed. I told her what was up and she personally took care of it. I do not think that is the norm and I just walked in on a good day but my knife was fixed and back in my pocket in just a few minutes. If that won't convince you that Spyderco is the best than I do not know what will. I have had multiple good interactions in person with many members of the Spyderco crew and will be a fan for life.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Cool giveaway Radioactive.

While I don't need a N5 lightweight, I'll enter and should I win, I pledge to give the knife to someone I know that will use it well, but can't afford it.
I continue to come here because of the sense of community we have created and the genuine interest and enthusiasm Sal has for interacting with all of us. He fosters an environment where all of us can exchange ideas and help to improve the knives we love and always exudes respect and class. It's why I'll be here 10 years from now talking about knives with many of you. I have definitely learned that leading by example is the best one can hope to do in life.

Thanks for the chance!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thank you for the kind words and opportunity! Your perspective and generosity are a great example of why I love this place.

I joined a bunch of forums in an attempt to contribute to the online knowledge base that has given me so much education over the years, and this one quickly became my favorite for all of the reasons mentioned above.

The Native5 LW is often a perfect gift knife IMO. If by some rare luck I win, it will be passed along to someone that will truly appreciate owning their first great knife. PS I know what you mean about the satin.
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I too have to jump in and play since you picked my favorite EDC model. The thing about this forum I find most appealing is the way everyone jumps in to help with their knowledge. Ask a question, go away read other posts, then turn back and find that someone has provided an answer. Most always try to get along and there is little infighting.

Sal and company have shown me what all companies should strive for in customer service, integrity, and product CQI.

Thanks RA for the chance to play and win.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Congratulations on a milestone and thanks for such a contribution to the community! Lovely choice for a GAW; I'd love to enter :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Congrats RS, I'd like to play!

The thing that most impressed me about this forum is how accessible the top folks are. I can't think of a single other major company where you can post up questions and actually expect a discussion with the top brass and get personal welcomes and daily posts by the founder. I really wonder how sal finds the time to do all that he does while reading not just this forum but BF and BB and wherever else he may be posting.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Radioactive, that is a lot of posts, I'm a long time observer and mainly on here to learn from the vast knowledge base. I'm impressed with the folks code of conduct and visit here daily add the ability to go back in time to see the history of how models came to be and the interaction between Sal & Company is priceless.

I've been too busy reading to think about posting but will keep in mind always strive to make a lasting contribution. Would love to be considered but alas... Not enough posts :)