History & Info on the DYAD Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: History & Info on the DYAD Model

Post by JD Spydo »

You guys definitely raise some good points to be considered>> because if I said that the C-44 Micarta, ATS-55 Dyad which is one of my all time favorites was an ergonomic dream with no room for improvement I would be lying. Yes there is for sure some serious room for improvement and modifications as well as getting something set up for lanyard usage that would make it a dream blade for several types of knife owners and users. The concept of the DYAD is a great one because having a superb plain edged blade along with a great sheepsfoot ( with belly) Spyderedged blade makes for a great EDC folder and really gives you two great Spyders in one.

So maybe it's time to get back to the drawing board for maybe an updated, improved Dyad model or maybe a completely different and new double bladed Spyder all together. But from a collector's standpoint and an important part of Spyderco History the Dyad has sure gotten some well deserved attention.

Even with the perceived shortcomings that the Dyad models tend to have I still don't know of any other double bladed folder in the entire commercial knife market that can compete with the Dyad models IMO. From a historical perspective I would love to know what led to the design of the DYAD?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I love the dyad I had a c44 and a frn jr

I really miss that full size dyad some days. .

It was stolen 2003

Post 999
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea,
I mean, on this note, what's the percentage of actually needing that second blade anyway?
Well EVIL I can only speak for myself. But when I was EDCing my C-44 big Dyad it was at that time I realized just how handy it is to have the best of both blade worlds>> There were not many days that I didn't use both blades on the Dyad (PE & SE). When I quit carrying the C-44 Dyad on a daily basis I actually found that carrying one of Spyderco's full sized PE folders like the C-60 or one of my C-36 Military models for instance I actually found that having a fully serrated Harpy as a companion blade had great advantages over just carrying one PE blade. If any of you who use knives ( folders or fixed blades) a lot I have no doubt that there are a lot of cutting jobs you'll encounter that you will find a Spyderedged blade ideal for. Personally I couldn't get all my work done with just one edge type>> because I find Spyderedges have a lot of advantages on certain cutting jobs and there are jobs I wouldn't use anything but a plain edge for. With that being said the Dyad truly could fill a void for many different jobs.

I haven't worked or even had a casual day off in probably 4 years when I only carried one Spyder with me>> I always carry at least one PE & one SE Spyder all the time. Even when I carried the C-44 Dyad I usually always had a companion Spyderco Hawkbill along with it. The Dyad model truly fills a lot of tool needs for people who actually use them. Ergonomically it is probably better to have one premium PE Spyder and one premium SE Spyder>> but the convenience of having both in one folder will always have advantages.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea,
I mean, on this note, what's the percentage of actually needing that second blade anyway?
Well EVIL I can only speak for myself. But when I was EDCing my C-44 big Dyad it was at that time I realized just how handy it is to have the best of both blade worlds>> There were not many days that I didn't use both blades on the Dyad (PE & SE). When I quit carrying the C-44 Dyad on a daily basis I actually found that carrying one of Spyderco's full sized PE folders like the C-60 or one of my C-36 Military models for instance I actually found that having a fully serrated Harpy as a companion blade had great advantages over just carrying one PE blade. If any of you who use knives ( folders or fixed blades) a lot I have no doubt that there are a lot of cutting jobs you'll encounter that you will find a Spyderedged blade ideal for. Personally I couldn't get all my work done with just one edge type>> because I find Spyderedges have a lot of advantages on certain cutting jobs and there are jobs I wouldn't use anything but a plain edge for. With that being said the Dyad truly could fill a void for many different jobs.

I haven't worked or even had a casual day off in probably 4 years when I only carried one Spyder with me>> I always carry at least one PE & one SE Spyder all the time. Even when I carried the C-44 Dyad I usually always had a companion Spyderco Hawkbill along with it. The Dyad model truly fills a lot of tool needs for people who actually use them. Ergonomically it is probably better to have one premium PE Spyder and one premium SE Spyder>> but the convenience of having both in one folder will always have advantages.

Yeah I agree with all that, I was just saying like Deacon was using the 1% when ergonomics really matter, that's probably the same 1% when you absolutely NEED serrations. I have no doubt we could all get through life just fine with PE, considering all of humanity has done just fine without it for thousands of years now (well, at least since the bronze age, I guess you could say knapped flint is serrated LOL). I think of serrations almost more as an accessory or advantage in some scenarios than something that I NEED. They make many jobs easier but I don't think they're required for any job, not even working on a boat and cutting rope all day (pirates didn't have Salt knife ;) ).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's an interesting point you make EVIL D because when I was taking a CNC class about 8 years ago I was showing my instructor one of my fully Serrated Spyders>> he was a bit of a knife fan himself. However he immediately pointed out to me and proved it with a dissecting microscope that all knife blades are serrated to some degree. When he showed me my Spyderco Police PE G-10 handled model that I had with me that night I was actually a bit blown away when I seen just how jagged that edge was under high magnification :eek:
Because I thought I had really sharpened and polished the edge on that bad boy to where I was even bragging about how well honed it was>> that it would look much better than it did. But he quickly showed me that even the most well honed knives were far more serrated than we tend to realize. It was truly interesting to see a very sharp, well polished plain edged blade under a pretty powerful Nikon microscope.

He also stressed to me that deburring was something very important to learn about doing any type of machine tool and/or metalwork. And I've often thought about "deburring" and all that could be learned from that concept. Now I know for sure that when some of our comrades refer to a "toothy edge" on certain plain edged blades that they are not kidding>> not in the least.

But getting back to our classic Spyderedge>>I still maintain that if a person uses both blades a lot they will eventually want to have both edge types handy to use. That is if you are a guy who uses knives a lot in your daily work and encounter a wide range of cutting chores as I do and I assume many of you all here at Spyderville do as well. I truly hope that at least the concept of the DYAD never dies even if they eventually elect to come up with another double bladed design all together>> and maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea at all if they indeed work out some of the items that the end line user complains about with the Dyad model.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Hi Joe. Long time no see. My guns have cast a spell over my knives for the moment. I imagine it to be like having two wives.

I have the blue ( Spyderco say green) blue I say, C39. This used to be my church knife but a blue bone Kopa is just one point cuter. The girls like it more, but the Dyad is more utilitarian.

My Jigged Bone Micro is art, pure art. The eighth wonder of the knife world.

King 44. The first multi bladed Spyderco. A real novelty & in classic materials. It does give me a hot spot but not in the hand.
O.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Now that customs Au. have relaxed flick knife importation I will be getting the new Salt Dyad.
No matter what the steel.
Aint that right Sal ?
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:Now that customs Au. have relaxed flick knife importation I will be getting the new Salt Dyad.
No matter what the steel.
Aint that right Sal ?
O.
I knew my good DYAD buddy "O Just O" would show up at the great DYAD rally :cool: We've missed your great input my friend>> we have a bunch of the regular guys and gals missing here of late.

The DYAD cult we have here at Spyderville is a super dedicated group to be sure. The DYAD guys are just about as fanatical as my friends from the AYOOB fraternity :cool: And my good BUDDY from DOWN Under "O Just O" is truly a Spyderville spokesperson for those great double bladed models.

Could you all imagine an AYOOB DYAD :eek: :cool: I don't think the rank & file could handle that one :rolleyes:

But "O" if I remember right you're like me and prefer the bigger C-44 over the Junior models?? Correct?? :)

Glad you made it to the party and don't be gone so long next time dude ;)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

JD Spydo wrote:
But "O" if I remember right you're like me and prefer the bigger C-44 over the Junior models?? Correct?? :)
That is correct JD. The bigger knife can be really put to work.
The C44 born again as a Salt with a lanyard that goes through hollow pivots, (maybe) That would be its equal. A better general purpose boating & fishing knife is hard to imagine. :D

The thing I like on the juniors is the fob pocket carry, very discreet & super handy.
O.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

O,just,O wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
That is correct JD. The bigger knife can be really put to work.
The C44 born again as a Salt with a lanyard that goes through hollow pivots, (maybe) That would be its equal. A better general purpose boating & fishing knife is hard to imagine. :D

The thing I like on the juniors is the fob pocket carry, very discreet & super handy.
O.
Good to see you back, O! How have you been?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

SpyderNut wrote: How have you been?
I have been well thank you, just a bit gun crazy .
Added a couple more English SxS doubles to the collection & been restoring one 1887 made one.
Don't worry for me though because as I look here around my keyboard I see an Atlantic salt, S90V Para 2, Para 1 digi cam, M4 Milli, Graham Bros FB Tanto & a Dav Winch custom folder. I am still a knife knut :)
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: How have you been?
I have been well thank you, just a bit gun crazy .
Added a couple more English SxS doubles to the collection & been restoring one 1887 made one.
Don't worry for me though because as I look here around my keyboard I see an Atlantic salt, S90V Para 2, Para 1 digi cam, M4 Milli, Graham Bros FB Tanto & a Dav Winch custom folder. I am still a knife knut :)
O.
That's great "O">> but I'm also wondering what your thoughts might be on a completely new double bladed Spyderco folder all together? It would still have the same concept as the original Dyad but with a lot of design modifications. The "Lanyard" problem is a big one for me personally because if I were out hiking or out in a boat on a lake, ocean or river I certainly wouldn't want to lose it overboard which would be a constant fear in the back of my head.

I've honestly thought hard of a Hawkbill Dyad or who knows maybe even a "recurve Dyad>> But I truly bet our good buddy SURF would like to see a Reverse S Dyad>> wouldn't that be the bomb a Dyad with two Lil Matriarch type blades>> I would jump on that in a nanosecond.

But to completely modify the original C-44 would be great too. Just take all the complaints people have had for the original Dyad and fix them>> simple as that. And start with the Lanyard problem
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

The lanyard is not such a problem. Take a look at the Salt clip & lanyard hollow bolt.
Just do both blade pivot bolts like that & we can then put the lanyard on whichever end we choose.
Personally I would like to see any redone Dyad retain the back lock & not go to a liner lock like the wings.
I do have a wings as a cheap stand in for a large Dyad. It is a stunt double & it is a permanent thing in my work tool belt & gets abused on horror jobs in grit & filth, scraping & hacking. It is too fat to like it too much & even though it impresses me with the beating it takes, I would not like a Dyad as fat as that.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:The lanyard is not such a problem. Take a look at the Salt clip & lanyard hollow bolt.
Just do both blade pivot bolts like that & we can then put the lanyard on whichever end we choose.
Personally I would like to see any redone Dyad retain the back lock & not go to a liner lock like the wings.
I do have a wings as a cheap stand in for a large Dyad. It is a stunt double & it is a permanent thing in my work tool belt & gets abused on horror jobs in grit & filth, scraping & hacking. It is too fat to like it too much & even though it impresses me with the beating it takes, I would not like a Dyad as fat as that.
O.
Now look my friend you and I and many others here know for a fact that there just isn't any valid substitute for the "Real McCoy" C-44 DYAD model :cool:

About a year ago a good buddy of mine gave me a BUCK double bladed folder and I even tried using it for a couple of days on a very nasty, dirty job and it didn't even come close to the overall quality of the DYAD model. There is just something about Spyderco's handles and locking systems and blades that hold an edge so well>> and those factors just can't hardly be duplicated with the possible exception of a very reputable custom knife maker.

As far as your horrid and filthy, nasty, harsh working conditions you just simply have to give the folder a very thorough cleaning at the end of the day my friend. And you are so much making a clear case for an H-1 Salt Dyad>> I hope all of you in the front office of the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY are hearing this :D Also with the concept of a double bladed folder you always have a back up blade just in case the other one becomes dull or damaged.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I'm going to derail my own thread :rolleyes: Because I'm wondering now if you all either like or dislike the Dyad based solely on it being a double bladed folding knife? Or would you all like to see Spyderco come out with a newer model of a double-bladed knife? Because many of you do indeed have some legitimate complaints of the present Dyad designs which I'm sure could be modified or reworked all together.

So would you all like to scrap the present Dyad models and opt for Spyderco to make a newer/better, more refined Double Bladed Folder or do you all hate the concept completely and would like to see Spyderco abandon the idea all together?

Personally I'm up for a new, more refined version of the C-44 and I know what changes I would like to see. Is this the problem most of you are having with all the DYAD models?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the most recent encouraging news I've just heard about Spyderco making another attempt at a Salt Series DYAD model I couldn't think of a better thread related to the Dyad model to discuss it on.

I know my good pal SURF is going to be glad to hear about a new Salt Series Dyad as well as Yablanowitz, O Just O, and about 10 other forumites I could name who all really appreciate the Dyad models of the past. For those of you who really appreciate a high quality, double bladed Spyder for hard use I don't think there could be any better news that what we just got laid on us today ( From the General himself no less :cool: ).

Actually if they go Salt Series on the new Dyad then why not an LC200N blade on the plain edge and H-1 on the Spyderedge? What do you all think about the news of a Salt Series Dyad finally coming to frution? And do you all agree with my suggestion of the two types of steel for the two edge types??
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I was just about to start a new thread to say the same thing. Yes! the Dyad has never really been brought to it's full potential, but this would do it. Two different steels totally makes sense. SE H-1 and PE LC200N would be about perfect. Then for sprint runs, you could take it in different directions - PE 52100 & SE VG-10, PE PMA11 & SE Elmax, or whatever you could imagine.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Northglenn500 wrote:I was just about to start a new thread to say the same thing. Yes! the Dyad has never really been brought to it's full potential, but this would do it. Two different steels totally makes sense. SE H-1 and PE LC200N would be about perfect. Then for sprint runs, you could take it in different directions - PE 52100 & SE VG-10, PE PMA11 & SE Elmax, or whatever you could imagine.
Well "NorthGlenn" it does seem like we're on the same page and both really appreciate the utility prowess of the original C-44 Dyad model. It's truly one of the most under-appreciateed and overlooked Spyderco models I know of. Hey I agree with you that VG-10 does make a great blade steel for Spyderedges but instead of 52100 I would be more inclined to use M390 or M-4 for a plain edged blade for a Dyad Sprint run.

This recent news of the Salt Series Dyad finally coming to fruition is great news indeed. I believe a Salt Series Dyad would be a big draw even for people who historically haven't really been Dyad fans in the past. Now Elmax is a really interesting blade steel possibility that I would be very interested in.

But we are about to get the Salt Series Dyad that many of us have wanted for quite some time. I'm hoping for a G-10 handle too.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am excited for the possibility of a C-44 Sprint run. I would anticipate the blade steels will probably be of the same material if I had to bet $.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:I am excited for the possibility of a C-44 Sprint run. I would anticipate the blade steels will probably be of the same material if I had to bet $.
Landon the latest news is that we are for sure getting a Salt Series Dyad. That's just been announced today. Oh I still want a Sprint Run Dyad with some exotic blade steels and possibly a Micarta handle like the original C-44. But we've been waiting for a Salt Series Dyad for a long time but apparently we're going to have it finally.

Did you by chance ever get to check out the Micarta version of the C-39 Dyad Jr. that came out back in 2000-2001. That's probably my all time favorite small bladed Spyder. That's another one I would like to see a Sprint Run of. The Micro Dyad was similar in quality but the Micarta version was really cool.