Will there be a Mule Team in HAP40?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
SpeedHoles

Will there be a Mule Team in HAP40?

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just started a different thread and it reminded me and got me wondering...

I have a Mule Team in Aogami Super Blue - so will there be a Mule Team released in HAP40 also?
Or will we miss out on this since HAP40 went straight to production without testing the waters with the Mule first??

Any word on any other possible Mule Team releases for 2016?
Going back to Caly.
NiallRiv

Re: Will there be a Mule Team in HAP40?

Post by NiallRiv »

Im thinking you may be correct that it will be skipped since its already being used in folders and the Mule tends to come first. But we can hope!! Im still looking forward to the Micro-Melt Maxamet MT.. also the RWL-34 and CPM-20CV are yet to be released, although announced about a year ago
BTG

Post by BTG »

NiallRiv wrote:Im thinking you may be correct that it will be skipped since its already being used in folders and the Mule tends to come first. But we can hope!! Im still looking forward to the Micro-Melt Maxamet MT.. also the RWL-34 and CPM-20CV are yet to be released, although announced about a year ago

Wasn't there a mention of a Rex 121 mule also...but yeah, I'm not expecting a HAP 40 since we're getting the Japanese line-up,I intend on getting them all this time...I missed the dragonfly in SB.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I dont recall hearing about that one, but I dont recall a lot! I do remember a little over a year ago or so, Sal himself asking about interest in a Bronze MT (I definitely forget what thread it was in). He said it would be interesting because, as we know, Bronze was used for blades in the ... Bronze Age.. but using todays technology to make it the best blade possible. I reeeeally wanted this one to happen just to see what Spyderco would be capable of. Plus I imagine bronze would be incredibly tough, plus that patina would just be awesome for "Patina Guys"... sorry, ADD kicking in.. oh yea, Hap 40!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I cannot recall off the top of my head but I believe there has been a Mule run in a steel that was already used in a production knife I just cannot remember which one right now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I kinda feel like S110V was one of those cases... but cant remember what production knife it would have been in first
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

There were a few Mules in steels that had been used previously, or appeared in folders at approximately the same time as the Mule release:

CPM-S90V
ZDP-189
CTS-BD1 (possibly, as I'm not sure if the UKPK came out before or after, but was in the same year)
Elmax (released at the same time as the LionSpy)
CTS-XHP
CPM-S110V

More details here: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=MT_Mule_Team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

PSF27?
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Whale... yeah, this should happen. :D
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

A HAP40 mule would be great, either solid like the Super Blue one or clad like the Cobalt Special.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Would be nice to know if these will be produced. I'd be in for two, would also like to see some kitchen knives in Hap40. Was waiting for the Kohetsu in Hap40 but ended up getting one in super blue (sharpest of all my knives).
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

SpeedHoles wrote:PSF27?
The Mule was released before the Bradley Bowie if I recall correctly
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BTG wrote:...I missed the dragonfly in SB.
Ouch. That's the best one.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

A clad Hap40 mule would definitely peak my interests
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Do they wait for the current Mule Team to sell out before initiating the production of the next? Just wondering...

Or can you still buy MT20's right now?
I am amazed the 4V is still available.

I wish these would sell through a run better (as I am sure Spyderco is also!), that way our requests for another Mule wouldn't sound so greedy. ;)
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

They have had more than two for sale at the same time. I think even three at one time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

bearfacedkiller wrote:They have had more than two for sale at the same time. I think even three at one time.

Interesting, I have never paid attention before. I wonder if those 2 or 3 that were for sale at the same time were all from different mfg facilities? Might make a bit more sense...
Or was MT20 also a Taichung knife, like MT21?

Man, I want MT22P HAP40!!! :D
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

I think it just depends on how fast they sell out. Some have gone very, very fast and some have hung around for a while. I am not certain but I believe all of them since MT18 have been from Taichung and I believe the last two are both still currently available. We haven't heard much about B70P. The MT18 sold out very fast but it was S110V.
-Darby
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I think a Mule Team in HAP40 would be a nice addition to the series. It should make an excellent working knife.
One of the fun things about the Mules is being able to experience superior steels from all over the world.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

SpeedHoles wrote: I am amazed the 4V is still available.

Not very many positive reviews. There are a lot of good reviews of 4V but not of the mule. That may be a reason for hesitation. Personally I really like 4V and equivalents. I recently took a hollow ground 4V knife 62 RC, about .018" behind the edge and sharpened to about 20 dps and hammered/cut through a bunch of metal straps, staples, and little metal figurines. Only very small chips. I was extremely impressed. I've heard less than that hurts the 4V mule. I don't know why. The knife I have was treated in accordance with the manufacturer recommended procedures, nothing special. I guess the steel didn't like whatever spyderco did to it?

Anyway, I'm about to play with some similar steels. Can't wait to see the outcome.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.