Request for Sal and Eric

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Request for Sal and Eric

Post by Jazz »

Well, my Ladybug hole got hooked on a key again and opened in my pocket again. It's off the keychain for good. I love the knife (ZDP 189), but that's scary. I'm wondering if you could design a nice nail nick keychain knife the size of the Ladybug. Anyone else had this problem, or want such a knife? Thanks for listening.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Studey

Re: Request for Sal and Eric

Post by Studey »

A neat solution is a kydex sheath. Sheath stays on keys, knife is kept closed in the sheath. Draw the knife, open, cut, close, resheath. Also lets you use the knife less encumbered, as there's nothing hanging off it. A word of warning though, be mindful of the design you get. I had to redesign a couple of times until I had one where the handle couldn't pivot and allow the knife to open.

BTG

Post by BTG »

I went the same route, never had one open in pocket, just keys & stuff too bulky...plus I wanted quicker access to knife, without all the keys, and I wanted to use the lanyard hole for a lanyard.....like it this way, but have to be careful, twice while getting up from chair/sofa, I accidentally pinned the lanyard to the chair with my hand as I was assisting by self out and pulled it out...didn't feel it come out at all, heard nothing, just happened to see it sitting there (good thing it's yellow)...I check my chairs when I get up now.
image.jpg
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

A short term solution might be to use a short rubber band around the handle.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You should give the Roadie a try. Sounds like what you are looking for.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for the Roadie
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry mine either loose in my pocket or in my watch/coin pocket. I have never had one come open. I have never carried it on my keys but if I did I would look at the kydex sheath option.

I dislike the Spyderco folders currently made without functioning Spydie holes so I will pass. Sorry...

If I could get a plain edge hawkbill Manbug in VG10 with a FFG I would never need another tiny knife. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a Vic Classic SD on my keys and drop my Manbug in my pocket. No issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to chime in here and say that I would have no use for a Spyderco folding knife that didn't have a functioning Spyder hole. I don't carry a small knife on my keychain because I find they are a pain to use when attached to a bunch of dangling metal objects on a ring. However, I might carry a good knife in a kydex sheath on my key ring since it would be protected and prevented from opening inadvertently.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I can't stand a knife on a key chain. But I understand those who like it. Just not for me. Knives go in pockets in my world.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I can't stand a knife on a key chain. But I understand those who like it. Just not for me. Knives go in pockets in my world.
Knife on a key chain isn't really my thing either. I tried having a small knife on my keys a long time ago and realized it wasn't convenient and just added bulk. I know some like having a small knife on their key ring and that's great. I just prefer to keep it separate and carry in my watch pocket if possible.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I tried a few times to keep a Ladybug on my keychain, but it was terribly un-ergonomic having a gob of keys poking my hand every time when I tried to use the knife, lol.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderNut wrote:I tried a few times to keep a Ladybug on my keychain, but it was terribly un-ergonomic having a gob of keys poking my hand every time when I tried to use the knife, lol.
Hence the main benefit of carrying in a sheath.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Studey wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I tried a few times to keep a Ladybug on my keychain, but it was terribly un-ergonomic having a gob of keys poking my hand every time when I tried to use the knife, lol.
Hence the main benefit of carrying in a sheath.
Agreed. I guess I was too lazy to give a sheath a try. I've seen them on e-Bay for relatively low prices...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

never tried one on my keys, my keys are kept on a Raven Workshop Keygrip so no room. I carry my small knife (SB manbug) in my shirt pocket.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I don't actually carry much with my vehicle keys since I cannot stand anything swinging around under the steering column while I am driving.

Like mentioned; Roadie does sound like a great option for you. Or possibly the Dogtag or Squarehead.
Going back to Caly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If your key is longer than the Ladybug you just need to move them closer together. What I mean by that is have them both on the same loop (Preferably a small one), and then the end of the key can't reach the opening hole. If you have lots of loops and they're spaced out a lot it's more likely to happen.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I also have a ladybug in a kydex sheath.

I have a ring through the sheath so that I can remove the knife and leave the sheath on my key ring.

Speedholes, I use s-biners to make some of my keys detachable, and then I unclip the vehicle keys when I am driving, so that it's just that one key in the ignition and nothing hanging. I started doing this after a mechanic told me that my worn out ignition was likely related to the weight of my keychain.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So, I guess that's a no. I use it for a backup and NKP blade. It's on my keys with's small caribiner. Easy to take off. Just dangerous. Might consider a sheath, but that takes up even more room.
- best wishes, Jazz.