Spyder Anger

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Spyder Anger

Post by zhyla »

The Nano is a fabulously interesting design that I find not very useful to carry. I keep one at my desk to hand to people who ask for a knife.

I wish Spyderco did more reverse tantos (like the Rock Lobster). They don't.

Re: prices, buy used, it's usually a better deal all around.
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

To the OP

Not angry, but I shake my head in amazement that the variable international currency exchange rate effectively tries to pretend that one person's labour in one country, is worth more than someone else's labour in another part of the world.

After the fucked up US system of unregulated greed that led to the financial crash around 2009, the $AU dollar was worth more than the $US, fast forward to current times and a Spyderco Southfork cost me over $400.00 AU. The Sprig cost me over $300.00 AU.

Why, when the US debt has increased during this period?

I would love to hear the justification why in the course of about 1/2 a decade, my labour went from being more valuable than an american's, to being about 70% as valuable? :rolleyes:

Mick :(
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Don't even get me started on exchange rates. I feel for the South Africans. When I started tracking the cost of my knives (a really stupid thing to do) it was in SA Rand at 7 to the USD (2011), its now 16 to the USD (in very round numbers). Luckily for me I've been paid in USD for the last few years but my knife spreadsheet is still in ZAR - according to that my 2015 Spyderco Janisong is worth more than most of my CRKs that were acquired 2011-2013.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:Thanks for the compliments. Just trying to show one way to be satisfied. I agree about keeping knives. You'll kick yourself later if you don't (more than likely). I had a bunch in the 80's I got rid of. I still get upset. They weren't Spydies, but you get the picture. Now they're just a memory. That's just me though. Everyone's different.
Yeah, I'm kind of on the other end. I try to keep the "collection" thinned out pretty good and let go of em all the time. I've never regretted simplifying things by getting rid of stuff, but I can see the other perspective too. Like you said, we're all different.

Man, that is a super cool looking mod on the Pingo! I would never have thought of doing that but I love the result! I know I've told you this before but you were the one who first encouraged me to modify some of my own blades. (Actually it was in my early days here on the forum and I think your suggestion was a polite way of responding to my whining about Spyderco not making a certain knife like I wanted :p ). Anyway I am still grateful for the encouragement because I have made many a great knife even better for my needs. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, mod-bro Lance. Funny, I was carrying my pointy Pacific yesterday. Thought I'd sport my Milli today.
Just curious, since you're a seller, does it cost a lot to ship knives overseas, or do you even? Do you get flack from the post office?
- best wishes, Jazz.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Why would you get flack from the post office.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:Thanks, mod-bro Lance. Funny, I was carrying my pointy Pacific yesterday. Thought I'd sport my Milli today.
Just curious, since you're a seller, does it cost a lot to ship knives overseas, or do you even? Do you get flack from the post office?
Most of what I have "sold" has actually been given away. I have sold a few here in CR to friends and a few more to fellow forum members as long as they are able to wait until I am in the States. I usually prefer to mail and receive up there. I do have a courier here but its neither super cheap nor super dependable. I prefer to get em when I'm up there and just hide em in my suitcase. :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:Why would you get flack from the post office.
So they can hold your package for ransom. Customs can be a bit of a wild west affair here.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Surfingringo wrote:
jimmyjohnjohn wrote:Why would you get flack from the post office.
So they can hold your package for ransom. Customs can be a bit of a wild west affair here.
Aha, got it. That would be inbound into the USA. I've had to pay customs before on watched and stereo equipment. It's a roll of the dice, for sure.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Look at it as a fresh start in your Spyder collecting....

This time, shoot for a laser-like focus on knives you KNOW you will need AND USE...

I'm betting you'd like the new HAP40 Endura-- its tip may be more of what you're looking for...

happy hunting!