Bradley folder 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoimin

Re: Bradley folder 2

Post by hoimin »

My review of the Gayle Bradley 2 folder

I've had this for a few weeks and I've carried it every day since I received it (usually in tandem with a smaller folder). I never encountered a GB1 before, so the only comparisons I can make to it are visual differences. I don't think they were designed to fulfill the same roles though (albeit with significant overlap in usage), so I rather judge this knife on its own merits anyway.

Design:
I'm normally averse to large folders (as a single office edc option), but this one really does it for me. Between the CF/G10 scale, proud liners, and elegant lines, it's a very, very beautiful blade. My hand fits comfortably on the handle in a variety of positions, with or without gloves. The blade and tang all flow into and with the handle open or closed, and it makes me wish for this design to filter down to a small/medium size (Caly 3/Chaparral) too. The slight negative angle on the blade and the belly makes approaching material pretty easy on the wrist. The long flat of the edge gives it a good pull cut distance.

This knife has basically satisfied and extinguished any craving that I had for a Sebenza or Benchmade 940-1.

Fit and Finish:
Taichung fit and finish is easily one of the best <$400 displays of production craftsmanship and machining prowess out there. Everything on the knife, machining-wise was perfect. the proud liners are slightly rounded and polished, so it doesn't bite. The Spyderhole is quite crisp, but evenly done. Swedges line up perfectly in location and depth.

Not so great are my edge bevels; they were a bit off out of the box, especially about 3-4 mm out from the ricasso. It was very obtuse there, and especially so on the right side of the blade compared to the left. It still cut, but reprofiling to 30 degrees inclusive has been a chore.

Performance:
The hollow grind makes for a very slim edge. I don't have calipers but Gayle mentioned they're thinner behind the edge than on the GB1. It's not as tanky looking as the GB1, but so far I've been soaring through cardboard and small sticks and pencils with aplomb. The working edge on the M4 stays there for a good long while without deformation at 30 degrees inclusive. I haven't brought the knife to outright dullness yet. The lock is rock solid but I haven't really stressed it with pressure because the edge is just cutting through material with less pressure than I'm used to applying.

Deployment:
My knife came out of the box slightly gritty. As you can see from the posts above, it was relatively easy to fix. Some G10 or CF dust was captured by the grease/oil that was applied to the blade for transit and made their way into the pivot/bushing area. I haven't taken it apart to really give it a cleaning (I can't seem to open it), but it's so smooth right now I don't feel that is necessary.

As noted above, the detent is a bit easy to overcome.

Unlocking the knife was tough the first few days. My thumb was already callousing from working the Positron's lock, but it got a whole new level of toughness practicing on the GB2. It's solid, but not overly difficult. The lock jimping really digs into the thumb meat during the push.

Carry:
The standard spoon pocket clip is harder to tuck into my jeans than the deep-carry wire clip that I'm used to. Quite a bit of knife juts out in tip up carry (less so in tip down, but displays a wider). The dip in the clip is in a great spot though when using the knife.

The GB2 carries quite slimly in pocket in both dimensions and is really light for it's looks.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice review.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

this_is_nascar wrote:Nice review.
Thanks this_is_nascar!

I just found a nice video review with the knife in use on a variety of materials with the factory edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuGMQPN4rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

hoimin wrote:
this_is_nascar wrote:Nice review.
Thanks this_is_nascar!

I just found a nice video review with the knife in use on a variety of materials with the factory edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuGMQPN4rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That guy has more bandaids on his fingers than most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The way he can flick the blade open is impressive. I can finger flick most of my knives but I don't do it often. I'm jealous because I can tell his detent is much stronger than the one on my GB2.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Just got mine in from KW a couple days ago (mid-December preorder).

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, other than that this is right on for my preferred size for a "larger" folder. It's going to be taking a lot of time away from my Benchmade 730 and Lg. "Starbenza" 21.

Thanks, Sal & Mr. Bradley - this one is definitely a keeper.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Skywalker wrote:Just got mine in from KW a couple days ago (mid-December preorder).

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, other than that this is right on for my preferred size for a "larger" folder. It's going to be taking a lot of time away from my Benchmade 730 and Lg. "Starbenza" 21.

Thanks, Sal & Mr. Bradley - this one is definitely a keeper.
Hey Skywalker! Would you be able to give us some comparison comments and photos between the GB2 and your other large folders? I'm interested to see how it really stacks up against the large Sebenza in operation and performance.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

hoimin wrote:
Hey Skywalker! Would you be able to give us some comparison comments and photos between the GB2 and your other large folders? I'm interested to see how it really stacks up against the large Sebenza in operation and performance.
Sure... long as no one gets too fussy about non-spydie pics in general. ;)

Just pulling specs from BHQ real quick - Seb is 3.625" blade, Ares and GB2 are 3.6". Seb OAL 8.335", Ares 8.20", GB2 8.42". Handle thickness Seb 0.46", Ares 0.605" (my old vernier calipers say 0.55"), GB2 0.49". Seb blade 0.125", Ares 0.114", GB2 0.12" (0.118" per Spyderco).

So they're all real close. All relatively standard blade and handle shapes, no finger choils, nothing too funny. Take your pick, clip point, Allen E's beautiful spear/drop blend, or a Spydie drop point that's overall much more svelte than the GB1. All perfectly effective and useful.

Biggest difference is the Ares; you've got the axis lock for very quick opening and closing as well as slightly contoured G-10. So it's probably the fullest in hand but the fattest in pocket (but nothing bad - still doesn't approach Griptilian levels of bulk). It's quick and it's sleek and smooth, you maybe get a little play with the Axis lock tuned for speed and smoothness but mine is quite good in terms of lockup solidity. Sturdy blade with the primary saber grind only going about halfway up; could cut a little better for the same reason. Mine is in S30V; I've got another in M390 floating around in a box somewhere and my dad's got my old 732, all blacked out with 154CM. 710 and 730, just can't beat the original axis lock designs. None of the new stuff compares.

Anyway, laying the BM aside and moving to the frame/liner duo.

Opening/closing, Seb is more of a pain to open with the pointy little thumb stud and much-vaunted "hydraulic" action. On the GB2, it's not the easiest Spyderco to open (vs, say, PM2 or Military), since the handle scales partially cover the hole. But opening is still pretty reliable and quick, with the thumb, controlled or flicked, or middle finger flick. No "hydraulic" feel to slow everything down and only give you a partial opening. Seb is easier to close, since it's got a nice big cutout in the presentation scale to access the lockbar. GB2 is a bit harder to unlock; no cutout on the side and you have to almost wedge your thumb in. It's doable, no real problem, but you're not going to want to sit in front of the TV and flick it open and closed mindlessly like you can with the axis lock. Seb is crazy smooth; GB2 is decently smooth and getting smoother (there's a couple of spots where it just drags a tiny bit on closing).

I like the feel of the blasted titanium on the Sebenza a lot, it's a nice, relatively "warm" metal to the touch. Beveled edges on the scales are also nice. On the GB2, the textured CF overlay has a nice tactile feel to it, and it's pretty darn durable in black in my experience (the white on the Air can get a little dirty). You get a little of the 3D feel with the proud liners; wouldn't mind the real thing but it's not bad.

The blades. As far as the grinds go, both are technically hollow ground but the GB2's is more aggressive and noticeable since the Seb's is so high. GB2 also has the more robust tip, though it's still pointy enough to be useful (GB1's is a little thick for my taste). Seb is a bit closer to a splinterpicker. They're not crazy slicers like the Centofante 3 or anything but they're not stupidly overbuilt. Thick enough to do some real work but not a .156" or .190" prybar. Both cut noticeably better than the Ares, but the GB2's hollow grind seems to really like to dig into stuff (that's a plus).

Finally, steel. Probably going to catch some flak for this... I don't like CRK's 58-59 HRC S35VN (I understand they're running it 59-60 now.... not much help to me). Have a small 21 that it was really unimpressive on; this large seems to be somewhat better. Don't want to open that can of worms any more than that. Spyderco's M4 is great; once profiled properly it's easy to touch up on ceramic rods and it seems to do well with both toughness and wear resistance. I just have to watch out for rust; I can get orange spots on it just from riding in my pocket doing yard work in the summer. Ares and GB2 both beat the pants off the Seb on this one as far as I'm concerned.

So the GB2 will be riding in my pocket for a while because a) it's new, b) it seems to be the best cutter of the three, c) I'm liking the style it's got to it, and d) it really is just the perfect length/weight/thickness when I want a bigger folder clipped to my pocket. Also, if I just completely mess it up doing something stupid (unlikely, I hope), I can buy three new GB2s for the price of one new double stud Lg Seb 21.

The Ares will be back when I want to play with an Axis lock again, and the Seb will always at least be in the carry drawer if not my pocket as just a flawless piece of machining. But I think the GB2 will be monopolizing a lot of pocket time.

They're all phenomenal knives, though. Don't want to take anything much away from any of them, the designers, or the manufacturing companies. Well done all around.

Couple pics:

(sorry about the length; meant to keep it more succinct but got stuck in a meeting and tried to make the best use of my time. :D )
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Skywalker wrote:--snip--
My thanks for your efforts! That is a fancy trio!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Nice write up. Thanks!
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Sure thing.

I've been waiting on Spyderco to make this or something like it for quite a while. Original GB was just a little too short and bulky, Hungarian is awesome but a little too lightweight for some things, new Starmate has a .156" thick blade... but the GB2 just completely nails it all around.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Skywalker wrote:Sure thing.

I've been waiting on Spyderco to make this or something like it for quite a while. Original GB was just a little too short and bulky, Hungarian is awesome but a little too lightweight for some things, new Starmate has a .156" thick blade... but the GB2 just completely nails it all around.
Yeah, this one is something special.

I don't normally even like large knives for EDC, and I had intended the GB2 to be my heavier work knife, but it is starting to force its way into solo carry in the office.
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

Skywalker wrote:Sure thing.

I agree. Although I also really like the new Starmate (for whatever reason....... its a big and heavy blade, but slim profile and a general pleasure to carry and use!). The GB2 is all around a practical and great knife! I kind of think of the GB2 as a mix between a Sage1 and a PM2 (both pretty awesome knives) - a good mix of a 'gentleman's folder' and all purpose outdoor knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I received a Bradley 2 this week and have to say, I am not in love. The obscured Spydie hole is issue #1, I just didn't like that the handle scale covers the lower part of the hole, and there is no contour to make the thumb slide into the exposed part. Not gonna be an easy knife to used with gloves IMO. #2 I'm not a fan of the proud liners, I feel they decrease grip comfort, pinching a bit with a firm grip. #3 Ergos are just ok for me, less comfortable to hold than many other Sydies in the collection. #4 Weak detent, it really could use a stronger detent IMO; my Raven 2 has a substantially firmer detent.

I will say the F&F on this knife is nothing short of flawless- it really is a beautiful knife done as well as it could be. Perfect grinds, tight tolerances, very solid. Unfortunately, I'll be putting it up for sale as I'm not in the market for something to just look at. I just can't see myself carrying this over knives like the Para 2.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

araneae wrote:I received a Bradley 2 this week and have to say, I am not in love. The obscured Spydie hole is issue #1, I just didn't like that the handle scale covers the lower part of the hole, and there is no contour to make the thumb slide into the exposed part. Not gonna be an easy knife to used with gloves IMO.
The bump covering the Spyderhole bothers me as well every single time I open it. I suppose on paper it didn't seem like it would matter, but I think it's a really odd design choice that is awkward in use, and inconsistent with the brand.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Haha, certain knife designers have bemoaned that their knives were not designed for the compulsive flickers, but rather for actual cutting tasks; to that end, while I have no problems with opening the knife (gloved or ungloved), I value the grip design for its flexibility in cutting more.You usually spend more time holding the knife in cuts than you do opening and closing, right?
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

So I've read a few of you guys have mentioned that your gb2's have got a weak detent. Is this a common thing or the exception?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Johnnie1801 wrote:So I've read a few of you guys have mentioned that your gb2's have got a weak detent. Is this a common thing or the exception?
I'm not sure how others see weak/strong detents. I'll just say that I haven't had any issues with it coming open in my pocket, and the only way I can "shake" the blade out is to orient it so that the blade will open pointing down, shake the handle down quickly, and really make it "pop" and the end of the downward motion. Blade reliably opens and locks with that, can't get it to open at all trying to shake/flick the handle any other way.

That's pretty much where I like it for liner/frame locks. Opening with the thumb is smooth and easy, there's enough detent to use the middle finger to flick it out from behind reliably, and other than that it doesn't open.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Mine is similar to Skywalker's. Easy to open (properly). Doesn't open in the pocket. I can fling it open with a very hard downward flick, but it's not easy.