BLACK coated blades....refinish/recondition/replace???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

BLACK coated blades....refinish/recondition/replace???

Post by DrtyHarry »

So I have a MILITARY that I have been using as an ED knife for many many years...I actually have two. One is serrated and that stays in the car for emergencies in case a seat belt needs to be cut or something. Anyway...just curious, will Spyderco replace the blade on it for me? I had it for so long...it's still good, but shows a lot of wear and has a lot of scratches on the finish. Perhaps they can refinish or recondition the blade? It is S30V...says "MILITARY" on the blade. It's an ED blade so I don't mind the scratches that much...I won't ever get a black ED knife again. But if Spyderco will REPLACE the blade, will I have a choice in what kind of steel the blade is made of? I plan on getting an S110V MILITARY but am fed up waiting...just would like to get a nice new blade...maybe get the black stripped of the MILITARY and have it satin. Looks fugly with all the marks and scuffs on the black coating. I sent an email to Spyderco to see what they can do for me....heard nothing back. Don't want to buy another S30V....am waiting on the S110V and will swap out the G10 blurple grips that come with it with the black G10s I have on my current one...that's the plan anyway. Thoughts??? Thanks!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
SouthernCross

Re: BLACK coated blades....refinish/recondition/replace???

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day DrtyHarry
DrtyHarry wrote:...I won't ever get a black ED knife again.........
Since any knife that is used / sharpened won't look like it did when NIB (irrespective of whether the blade is coated or not), to be honest the best way to avoid being disappointed with the appearance of a patchy coating on a knife blade after use, is not get a knife with one in the first place. But then again, if you get a laminated knife that has a softer outer layer of steel then using it will also cause scratches on the outer layers.

IMO the reality is that knives that are used won't stay in the same "pristine NIB condition" in which they arrived from the manufacturer. If it is a user, then use it and consider any cosmetic blemishes like scars on people. They have a story to tell and provide evidence that the owner of the scars (in this instance the knife) haven't spent their time "wrapped in cotton wool". LOL

Mick
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Oh I understand....the Millie was given to me as a gift. I would have taken the satin had I the choice. I don't mind it THAT much....I find it far easier to maintain my satin blades. BUT....sunce what I have is a black Millie, I need to make do with what I have. When my S110V comes in, I'm swapping out the blurple scales like I said along with the black hardware/screws. Will get a deep riding clip for it though. But for now....I'd like to know if I can get the blade replaced...refinished...or what. I just hate seeing it all marked up. I can deal with it, but would rather have a new or a reconditioned blade....preferably one with a better steel than S30V. What will Spyderco do for me...or what can they do? (if anything) HOW MUCH LONGER FOR THE S110V!? ARGH!!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They won't replace your blade, sorry.

This is exactly why I dislike coated blades as well as bead blasted or stone washed blades. I find that a satin finish is the easiest to restore. It only takes a few minutes with some wet dry sandpaper. You are just gonna have to be patient and the s110V militaries will be here soon enough. When? Nobody knows but Spyderco.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I can't really be of much help because I love a black blade, and I don't mind at all when they get scratched up. I like the worn look.

But, I do have one idea that may work. Last night I was at a gunsmith's house having some sights put on my Shield, and he scratched the black on the slide a little bit. He said not to worry that he would clean it up...but I was worried because even though I don't mind the scratches, I just like to make them myself LOL.

Anyway, he used some kind of gun-bluing stuff that immediately blackened the metal revealed by the scratch, and it blended in with the factory black so well that I can't tell where the scratch was at.

Now, on a knife, I'm not sure how this would work. I'm sure it would blacken the blade, but I'm not sure if it would blend in as well with the DLC and look like a new blade. I suspect you would probably be able to see where the scratches were, but they would be a slightly different shade of black. But, if you can't stand the scratches, this may be the best alternative because Spyderco won't recoat or replace the blade, this is just simply wear and tear and isn't a defect or anything faulty.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Sometimes the "scratches" on DLC blades are actually material from things you cut. I've seen aluminium rub off on DLC and appear as a scratch from cutting a can. Of course being an older knife it's possible some of the coating has worn off too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:Sometimes the "scratches" on DLC blades are actually material from things you cut. I've seen aluminium rub off on DLC and appear as a scratch from cutting a can. Of course being an older knife it's possible some of the coating has worn off too.

This is quite true. I completely forgot about this knife. Got it for a ridiculously cheap price because of these "scratches", but I suspected they were just transfer marks. I took it home and wiped it down with a micro fiber and it cleaned right up. There are some faint scratches that made it through the coating but you can't even see them in pictures.

Before:

After:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Well....the knife is black. Nothing I can do. I thought about having the coating taken off...but not sure what is involved in that process. I'll probably end up just keeping it the way it is. I do have some of the bluing solution for slides and I thought about using it. Not sure if it would harm the steel or just make the scratches different colors. The ONLY knives I own that I purchase or have made with black blades are my karambits. And I only do so because a karambit is a self defense tool...and a blade with a dull black finish is much harder to see than a blinding high mirror satin polish. I don't use my karambits for ED purposes, I only carry one heaven forbid I need to use it in a self defense situation...so it doesn't get scratched up or anything because I never use them....only my practice knives. As cool and tactiCOOL as black looks, I prefer a nice satin finish. Is there a way to PURCHASE an additional blade for the MILITARY?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DrtyHarry wrote:Well....the knife is black. Nothing I can do. I thought about having the coating taken off...but not sure what is involved in that process. I'll probably end up just keeping it the way it is. I do have some of the bluing solution for slides and I thought about using it. Not sure if it would harm the steel or just make the scratches different colors. The ONLY knives I own that I purchase or have made with black blades are my karambits. And I only do so because a karambit is a self defense tool...and a blade with a dull black finish is much harder to see than a blinding high mirror satin polish. I don't use my karambits for ED purposes, I only carry one heaven forbid I need to use it in a self defense situation...so it doesn't get scratched up or anything because I never use them....only my practice knives. As cool and tactiCOOL as black looks, I prefer a nice satin finish. Is there a way to PURCHASE an additional blade for the MILITARY?
Spyderco does not sell blades, or any other parts except clips.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Gotcha....thanks. How about the removal of the coating??
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

You can sand it off but it's alot of work.

I'm doing a dlc benchmade for a friend and it's been a tough job.

Keep it cool.

It will come off.

I started with 220 grit I'm up to 600 now
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That stuff will be hard to sand off. There is a reason it is called "diamond" like coating.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Doc Dan wrote:That stuff will be hard to sand off. There is a reason it is called "diamond" like coating.

Its going to be a % £÷+# to get off but it will come off.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I sent an email a few hours ago offering a satin blade... Just sayin' ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Wear the scratches with pride. Only safe queens should be scratch/scuff free.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Thanks guys! Will it be easy to replace blades? I mean...I'm sure I can swap a blade out, but is there a chance one might be too loose and have some play? I would think that a replacement blade would have to be hand fitted? No??
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Military is super easy to do a blade swap on, you should have no problem.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have done 9-10 Millie blade swaps, and two gave me issues with the lockbar not mating properly to the transplanted blade. It was abundantly obvious when the knife was buttoned back up. No harm done and the blades were easily returned to their original frames.

Overall, it is a very easy model to work on. Several members here carry my hybrid ones ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

Since the Serrated Military has been discontinued for a while. There are some people itching for one.

I imagine you could put a Want to Trade offer on one or two forums (trading is not allowed here) and get a DLC plain edge or Satin plain edge Military pretty easily. An Assist Salt or Serrated Pacific Salt might work better for your purposes, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Nah....keeping the serrated. I just want to know if I purchase the other plain edge blade being offered to me....will I have any problems with the fit? I question it because I know there should be very minimal/minute play (if any) when the blade is opened, and my model is rather old. My model actually says "MILITARY" on the blade. With that said...perhaps there have been some minor changes over the many years on the design that may cause the blade to not fit? I don't know...I just don't want to purchase a blade and be stuck with it. And lastly...for someone not that mechanically inclined such as myself, will the swap be easy? If it does not fit....it there a way I can figure out how to "hand fit" it by perhaps sanding down parts of the blade...if needed? Again, thanks fellas.

Oh...and how come no more serrated Millies are being made? I have one in near mint condition that just sits in the glove box of my car. The teeth on that thing are wicked sharp. Is it sought after for collectors...or for another reason? Thank you!