Spyder Anger

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Spyder Anger

Post by Knivesinedc »

Evening fellow forumites. I've recently been browsing the newest spydie catalog and realized something. I'm seriously angry that I can't afford more Spydies!! There's so many that I want, and love, but I can't afford them. I want variety. I want gentleman's folders and workhorses, Titanium and G10, Framelocks and backlocks. I currently have but a few Spydies. I traded some away that I never used, only to find a hardly like what I traded them for. I have my 440v millie SE, my s30v Manix 2 black blade, my Aqua Salt blackblade SE my tenacious black blade CE and my Ambitious with a broken tip that I reground (mostly. Still needs some touch up work) into a Tanto blade. I have a Kershaw skyline with wood scale that I got for a plain dfly 2, I don't like it that much. I traded a Kahr arms Delica for a Leatherman wave. I don't like the leatherman that much. I traded a Manix 2 XL custom and a Tenacious SE for a Boker Nano decade edition and $95. I don't know if I like the nano or not. It hasn't arrived yet. I'm disappointed in my measly collection and a lot of the other knives I had are hardly worth trading to get what I want, mostly for their lack of value. I love the millie and the Manix, but I'm not particularly fond of the really pointy tips. I prefer similar to a leaf shape or clip point style tip. Or that of the tip on my Aqua Salt. And I don't have any gentleman's blades anymore, although the nano could count. I'm very much ready to get a whole bunch of Spydies again. None of the other brands really fit me or bring me joy and pride, carrying them like Spyderco does. It's time for a revival of my love for Spyderco...
Knivesinedc

Re: Spyder Anger

Post by Knivesinedc »

Apologies if some of what I'm writing doesn't make sense. Im running on not very much sleep, but I hope you guys can get the jist of what I'm trying to convey haha
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No need for apologies. I think what you were trying say is pretty clear. You got a little bored with your Spydies and traded them for something that you thought would make you happier, only to realize that Spyderco is where you belong.

If were in your shoes I'd do some horse trading or sell what you don't want to keep and buy a Spyderco that you want most. Then I'd rebuild your collection as you can afford on with new additions.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I'd say it's worth looking into the secondary market. There are some really good deals that pop up on barely used / lnib knives that you can easily resell if you don't like them.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe you're going through a change, and aren't sure what you really like. Happens to me. My favorites change all the time. I love a nice clip point, which Spyderco doesn't do. I've modded a few Spydies to make them how I want them. Not sure if my rambling helps you at all, but here a couple of mods I like...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz I always admire your mods.

OP, I have had a lot of knives, but I always come home to Spyderco. No other company satisfies like Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Doc Dan wrote:Jazz I always admire your mods.

OP, I have had a lot of knives, but I always come home to Spyderco. No other company satisfies like Spyderco.
+1 My feelings as well. ;)
palonej

Post by palonej »

Most EXCELLENT mods Jazz!! Really nice & clean work my friend! Color me impressed!
Wow!
OP.....don't kid yourself......only Spydie will do!
Joe
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I've been collecting since 1997, and have quite a number of the most desirable models from the 1998-2003 era. I've thought of selling or trading many times, but the truth is you will never get back what you had once you let it go. No one will probably care about my opinion, but I would start keeping all you acquire. Some of the prices for models I've purchased in the past are crazy now, but no matter how much they are going for, they are still worth more to me. Even if I only hold them once in awhile...
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Your opinions matter just as much as anyone's......especially because in this case you are absolutely right. IMHO ;)
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Choices.... how do they work?
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Jazz wrote:

Really like that pingo mod. Not such a fan of slippies though personally
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

D-Roc wrote:I've been collecting since 1997, and have quite a number of the most desirable models from the 1998-2003 era. I've thought of selling or trading many times, but the truth is you will never get back what you had once you let it go. No one will probably care about my opinion, but I would start keeping all you acquire. Some of the prices for models I've purchased in the past are crazy now, but no matter how much they are going for, they are still worth more to me. Even if I only hold them once in awhile...
+1000. I very much agree, D-Roc. Very well said and this matches my feelings as well.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Double post, somehow.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bpahk wrote:
Jazz wrote:

Really like that pingo mod. Not such a fan of slippies though personally
Jazz really did a beautiful job with that one. He has others. I would like to see Spyderco produce this.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am more of a glass half full kind of guy and a look forward not backwards kind of guy. I say be thankful that you have the Spydies you do have. You have a few nice models and a little variety. It could always be worse, you could be unemployed and have one crappy gas station knife. That would be worth being angry. This is gonna sound funny coming from a knife hoarder like myself but in general I am way less materialistic than most. I don't really buy myself much besides knives. I have disposable income so I hoard Spydies but if all I had was a Para2 and a Delica4 I would not complain. If a knife drops and funds are tight then oh well, maybe next time. Water off a ducks back, ya know. My advice, live and learn, don't sell your Spydies unless you have to pay rent or you have mouths to feed, acquire some more Spydies when you have spare funds and try to want less and enjoy what you have more. :) Be patient and in time you should be able to build a collection within your means that you can enjoy and be proud of.

I hope I don't sound preachy or self righteous, just trying to help with a perspective. I hope you find the satisfaction that you desire. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great response bearfacedkiller :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BTG

Post by BTG »

Lol..I try not to think half empty or half full, as long as I got room for some more....but yes I would only sell if I needed to, as I try to think of it as a savings account, and buying a knife is like making a deposit...they're not like clothes, entertainment, flowers..knives last..I won't name names,(wife) will spend money on things like pedicure, manicure, cut, color. Makeup, makeup and more make up...not me...like bearfacedkiller I'm low maintainence..cut my own hair, maybe someone gave me some cologne a year or two ago..clothes...don't really care, as long as it has enough pockets....knives probably get 95% of my disposable income, but that doesn't mean I'm just disposing of the money...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This may sound weird but in a lot ways I wish my life was way simpler like it was in my early 20's, no wife, no kids, no home (lived out of my backpack) the only things I cared about was how heavy my backpack was, I had one Swiss army knife and that was it and all I really needed. If felt great be free of all the responsibilities and went where the wind carried me. I still remember how great that felt and hope that some day I'll get to simplify my life again. Of course I'm too old (at least feel too old) to live out of a pack again but I see myself downsizing to a small cabin in the woods with just the bare essentials again. When you think about it we really don't need but a fraction of the things we have.....someday.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the compliments. Just trying to show one way to be satisfied. I agree about keeping knives. You'll kick yourself later if you don't (more than likely). I had a bunch in the 80's I got rid of. I still get upset. They weren't Spydies, but you get the picture. Now they're just a memory. That's just me though. Everyone's different.
- best wishes, Jazz.