Anyone Else Like Mules?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
El Gato

Re: Anyone Else Like Mules?

Post by El Gato »

farnorthdan wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:^ Ha that's crazy, you have all the same Mules I do! With the addition of the PSF27 that I was considering. Also 2 of the same Halpern colors I do, but on different steels.

I have micarta on 52100, Foliage on 4V, and grey on SB.
Sweet, I really like the battleship grey (i think thats what they call it) on the SB, comes real close to matching the greay they use on the other SB models. I also really like that natural Jade, may have to try that one out. I wish there was another supplier of these scales that offered more options and were as easy to order from as Halpern.
I will admit to being a pretty loyal customer of the folks at Halpern. A couple of weeks ago I sent them an email from the "Contact Us" portion of their company website. It was late on a Sunday night and I figured I would get a response sometime Monday as their time permitted. Imagine my surprise when, only moments later, Ms. Halpern herself answered my email question, apparently from home, at that late hour. That, my friends, is Customer Service. :)

I am really liking the Natural G-10 that has the light green Jade color. It reminds me of the very first green of Springtime, which helps along about March when cabin fever is setting in and the mountains call me. I have the Earth Brown and the Ranger Green for other Mules but the Natural G-10 is my favorite. The Natural G-10 has a lot nicer green tint to it than my picture shows. It is very light in the picture, but a very pleasing Jade green in hand.

I am really enjoying everyone's response to this thread and I appreciate it very much. Some great Mules on display here.

Dave
BTG

Post by BTG »

My first two from Halpren were fine, 3D rosewood and cocobolo ...my last I went with the CF...not so good..1 scale is noticeably thicker than the other...and the thinner one is also Ashey looking on the edges if your looking cross section...I'm more of a live and learn guy than a send stuff back...don't think I'll be getting any more from them, it was obvious, don't know how they could send them out..got some G10 stock and some burl wood... I think I'll take a shot at making my own.
m4d

Post by m4d »

I also really like the mules. It is a really nice way to try out some of the different steels. Has anyone tried the MT20 in CTS-B70P? If so, how does it compare to S30V in edge retention and toughness?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

BTG wrote:My first two from Halpren were fine, 3D rosewood and cocobolo ...my last I went with the CF...not so good..1 scale is noticeably thicker than the other...and the thinner one is also Ashey looking on the edges if your looking cross section...I'm more of a live and learn guy than a send stuff back...don't think I'll be getting any more from them, it was obvious, don't know how they could send them out..got some G10 stock and some burl wood... I think I'll take a shot at making my own.
I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your scales and Mules when you get them finished. The burl wood sounds especially nice and I think that making your own would be a very worthwhile project. :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

m4d wrote:I also really like the mules. It is a really nice way to try out some of the different steels. Has anyone tried the MT20 in CTS-B70P? If so, how does it compare to S30V in edge retention and toughness?
I have been wondering about the B70P myself. I hope someone who has had some experience with it will share with us.
Have you seen this video on field testing the MT20?

http://kevinestela.com/2015/08/11/1046/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
m4d

Post by m4d »

El Gato wrote:
m4d wrote:I also really like the mules. It is a really nice way to try out some of the different steels. Has anyone tried the MT20 in CTS-B70P? If so, how does it compare to S30V in edge retention and toughness?
I have been wondering about the B70P myself. I hope someone who has had some experience with it will share with us.
Have you seen this video on field testing the MT20?

http://kevinestela.com/2015/08/11/1046/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I did read that review about the MT20. From what I have seen and after reading the review, B70P seems like an interesting steel and should have good edge stability. That is the only review I have seen on it and there doesn't seem to be alot of information out about it. It would be interesting to see how the edge retention of it compares to some of the other steels.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Found an old & unloved superblue Mule at a great price from an old ad listing. It was dull & had a "patina" which was pretty ugly, what a pity. These pictures were posted a year ago, but I do love this knife, so once more can't hurt.

Made some scales & cleaned it up a bit. Very nice work knife now & has some character due to age & use.

Still need to get a picture of the scales with the finish complete, but you get the idea. I really enjoy the superblue for sharpening & a very nice edge at 30 degrees inclusive, it's great steel.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love them. I have a few of them. The S110V and M4 have been great. I boned and elk out with one and I have used one as a general fishing and camping and do everything else knife for a long time now. I have used them in the kitchen, yard, garden and garage. It is a great all purpose do everything knife for me.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Great pictures all. I enjoy seeing Mules at work as well as handle projects. Noseoil's scales look very comfortable to use, and what's not to like about Super Blue, eh? New life for a fine little Mule. I hope it serves you well for many years.

Like Darby, I enjoy my Mules most when they are with me in the woods and in camp. I would love to find a Mule in M4 and/or K390 to compare to my own SB, and so far I am really liking 4V. I hope we might see a Mule in CPM 10V at some point.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would be very interested in one in 10V. Very, very interested. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would be very interested in one in 10V. Very, very interested. :)
We gotta work on Sal........ ;)
kosta

Post by kosta »

I love mules. These are my mules. Here mules from milestones steel who made Spyderco. :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

What a very nice collection and beautiful pictures Kosta. Very well done.
I enjoy looking at all the different handle options and the pictures are very unique.
Thank you very much for sharing your Mules. :)
kosta

Post by kosta »

El Gato wrote:What a very nice collection and beautiful pictures Kosta. Very well done.
I enjoy looking at all the different handle options and the pictures are very unique.
Thank you very much for sharing your Mules. :)
BTG

Post by BTG »

El Gato wrote:
BTG wrote:My first two from Halpren were fine, 3D rosewood and cocobolo ...my last I went with the CF...not so good..1 scale is noticeably thicker than the other...and the thinner one is also Ashey looking on the edges if your looking cross section...I'm more of a live and learn guy than a send stuff back...don't think I'll be getting any more from them, it was obvious, don't know how they could send them out..got some G10 stock and some burl wood... I think I'll take a shot at making my own.
I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your scales and Mules when you get them finished. The burl wood sounds especially nice and I think that making your own would be a very worthwhile project. :)

I only have the last 3..CF-CPM 4V, Cocobolo-CTS B70P, Rosewood-PSF 27....also a pic of the CF scale difference,thinner and Ashey.... And then the Buckeye burl I'll be attempting to make some replacements for the CF...or the next mule...we'll see.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have several others now but XHP was my first.

So now a question- "What is the problem with Mules?"
Answer- "there are so many of them it is hard to choose which one to use"

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Just incase anyone reading here hasn't seen this older thread of a related topic:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31531

:D

Some amazing photos in that thread.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That is a great collection Kosta, are you missing any? Still searching for any in particular?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
kosta

Post by kosta »

farnorthdan wrote:That is a great collection Kosta, are you missing any? Still searching for any in particular?
I decided to collect everything mules. Process of collecting was very interesting. I needed three years what to buy everything mules. I everything love their. I very much wait when there is a new mule. :)

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

kosta wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:That is a great collection Kosta, are you missing any? Still searching for any in particular?
I decided to collect everything mules. Process of collecting was very interesting. I needed three years what to buy everything mules. I everything love their. I very much wait when there is a new mule. :)

Oh Wow, that's awesome Kosta, very impressive. That's a collection to be proud of, true determination. It feels great to complete I bet. Wonder what the next one will be, what is your guess on the next one?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."