Which should be my next Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearded_scout

Which should be my next Spyderco

Post by bearded_scout »

Okay yall I have been looking into my next purchase and I'm torn between the Manix 2 LW and the Native 5 LW. I already have PM2s, Manix 2 G10, Manix 2 XL, and a bunch of others but this will be my first buy of a lightweight. I love the ergos on the Manix but I'm not sure about the BD1 steel and pinned construction. My first Spyderco the one that started it all was a Native 1 that I traded for in my teens I carried it all through the military and regrettably lost it in one of my moves. I love my Spyderco family and yall have never let me down for great advice so I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.
"Only a man who has faced down death can truly appreciate life"
Sam Golson 2005
" A sharp blade is a good indicator of a sharp mind"

Bearded Scout 2016
Sharp Guy

Re: Which should be my next Spyderco

Post by Sharp Guy »

I bought a Native 5 LW a couple weeks ago and I have absolutely no complaints. It's extremely sharp, locks up like a vault, ergos are good for the small size, very light weight, etc

I have a Manix 2 LW on the way so I can't really advise on that yet. I've seen a couple Youtube reviews and the guys reviewing them seemed to be very impressed. If the Manix 2 LW is anywhere near as smooth as my Manix 2 G10 it should be an awesome knife. I've also done some reading on the CTS BD-1 steel and many say that it doesn't hold an edge as well as the CPM S110V but it's easy to sharpen so no big deal to me. My knives don't see any heavy use at this point so I opted to save some money and buy the translucent blue BD-1.

Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one. If I had to choose one for you I think I'd go with the Native 5 LW and pick up a Manix 2 LW when you can.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

I feel like that's how I'm leaning. I have been wanting another Native for a long time now and it would be my first s35vn blade. I had a similar situation the end of last year I was torn between the Military and the Manix XL I opted for the Manix XL at the time and ended up buying the Manix 2 G10 a week later because I liked it so much. I very happy to hear that the Native is comfortable in the hand as that was another concern for me because I have rather large hands.

Do let me know how you like the Manix lightweight I have heard mixed reviews about the jimping on the handle.
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides suggesting a variety of sizes and types (classy, hard use, slicers, etc) I would recommend you buy a Spydie that "speaks to you".

Different steels are fun but for most not as important as the overall package. I've used AUS6, AUS8 and 440c Spyderco knives, they sharpen up great and work hard :).

The Manix2 LW feels great in my hand. The G10 one with its jimping is a bit much.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd grab the M2LW S110V myself, one of the best values out there right now.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

I have looked at the S110v version and is on my list would you say it is harder to sharpen than M4. Ideally I would like to get the Native. PM2, and Manix 2 in S110v in my collection one day
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Depends on what your using to sharpen and how often you sharpen, I touch up S110V often so not such a big deal, now if you need to re-profile thats a different story.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

I tend to touch up my blades quite often I can't stand a dull knife. As for sharpening systems I use a lansky system and I am about to buy a sharpmaker the old hardware in my town has three of them in an old display case and they said they would sell them to me for 30 bucks. I also use a smiths medium and Arkansas stone as well as Japanese water stones. I use strops to do touch ups on my blades. But knowing the touch up isn't bad is nice, I have been told some horror stories about how hard S110v is to sharpen.
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If you love the ergos and already own a Manix, I'd say get the Native5 LW. The 5 ergos are as close to a mini Manix2 as we can get right now, and the lightweight version is very balanced. I'd splurge for the s110v for sure on the Manix as BD-1 did not impress me, but the s35vn is just fine on the Native5 LW, which I would call a Spyderco "best buy".

bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

abbazaba wrote:If you love the ergos and already own a Manix, I'd say get the Native5 LW. The 5 ergos are as close to a mini Manix2 as we can get right now, and the lightweight version is very balanced. I'd splurge for the s110v for sure on the Manix as BD-1 did not impress me, but the s35vn is just fine on the Native5 LW, which I would call a Spyderco "best buy".

Well put I think you are right Looks like the Native 5 it is you are not the first person that has told me they were not impressed by the BD-1 steel someone told me it was like American 8CR13. Thanks for the input
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearded_scout wrote:Okay yall I have been looking into my next purchase and I'm torn between the Manix 2 LW and the Native 5 LW. I already have PM2s, Manix 2 G10, Manix 2 XL, and a bunch of others but this will be my first buy of a lightweight. I love the ergos on the Manix but I'm not sure about the BD1 steel and pinned construction.
Why don't you upgrade to the s110v Manix LW?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bearded_scout wrote:
abbazaba wrote:If you love the ergos and already own a Manix, I'd say get the Native5 LW. The 5 ergos are as close to a mini Manix2 as we can get right now, and the lightweight version is very balanced. I'd splurge for the s110v for sure on the Manix as BD-1 did not impress me, but the s35vn is just fine on the Native5 LW, which I would call a Spyderco "best buy".
Well put I think you are right Looks like the Native 5 it is you are not the first person that has told me they were not impressed by the BD-1 steel someone told me it was like American 8CR13. Thanks for the input
Either way, youre gonna end up with both at somepoint ;) Just got a notification today from camelcamelcamel that the N5LW dropped below $70 on the Amazon.
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

abbazaba wrote:
bearded_scout wrote:
Either way, youre gonna end up with both at somepoint ;) Just got a notification today from camelcamelcamel that the N5LW dropped below $70 on the Amazon.
That is very true I will end up with both and I got the same notification about Amazon just gotta wait till next Friday when I get paid so I don't have to sleep on the couch for a month lol. I'm really lookin forward to getting the Native I think it's gonna be a great addition to my EDC rotation but after all the talk about the S110v Manix I have put it on the short list.
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Try out the Native! Great knife. Or maybe a Dice. :)
Going back to Caly.
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

TomAiello wrote:
bearded_scout wrote:Okay yall I have been looking into my next purchase and I'm torn between the Manix 2 LW and the Native 5 LW. I already have PM2s, Manix 2 G10, Manix 2 XL, and a bunch of others but this will be my first buy of a lightweight. I love the ergos on the Manix but I'm not sure about the BD1 steel and pinned construction.
Why don't you upgrade to the s110v Manix LW?
I do want it and it's now on my short list right behind the Military in DIgicam and black and the Cat G10. or sooner depending on which one jumps out at me first. I think at this point its gonna be nice to have another Native and I believe I will forego the the BD1 steel version of the Manix and just get the S110v version.
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

SpeedHoles wrote:Try out the Native! Great knife. Or maybe a Dice. :)
I do want the dice but I want the Domino first that is just a slick looking knife and I hear the quality on those is impeccable.
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

bearded_scout wrote:
I do want the dice but I want the Domino first that is just a slick looking knife and I hear the quality on those is impeccable.

I just figured you were looking to add some size variety to your line-up. Both the Dice and Domino are seriously slick folders.

I personally would forego the Cat and looks at other offerings in that size range.
Going back to Caly.
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

SpeedHoles wrote:
bearded_scout wrote:

I just figured you were looking to add some size variety to your line-up. Both the Dice and Domino are seriously slick folders.

I personally would forego the Cat and looks at other offerings in that size range.
I have heard good things about the Cat but to be honest I have not checked out many of the smaller offerings other than when the cat caught my eye and the Dragonfly 2. I do want to pick up a smaller watch pocket sized Spydie
Sam Golson 2005

Bearded Scout 2016
JD Spydo

Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill

Post by JD Spydo »

The question you ask of us Bearded Scout is a wide open question because it's hard to know what you're needs are. But I will say right off the bat that if you've never gotten or used one of Spyderco's great Hawkbill blades you should cover that base immediately IMO. It doesn't matter if you go with the H-1 TASMAN SE or PE, the ultra-classic iconic HARPY model and if you're lucky enough to find a SPYDERHAWK then by all means don't turn one of those down. I use a Spyderco Hawkbill almost daily as a companion blade to whichever main EDC Spyder that I happen to be using on that given day.

But a Spyderedged Hawkbill blade will truly come in handy more than you would expect. It was truly by accident and taking the wrong knife with me by mistake one day about 11 years ago and since then I've been totally sold on having a Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade. The serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill is truly one of Spyderco's very best utility blades.

Or if you haven't gotten one of Spyderco's super aggressive Spyderedged blades like an Endura, Police or any of the older SE models you will find them also to be a great addition to your blade arsenal.