Opinions needed: Adding Veff serrations to a...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sirens1

Opinions needed: Adding Veff serrations to a...

Post by Sirens1 »

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Double Bevel and having Veff serrations added. Any thoughts?
Evil D

Re: Opinions needed: Adding Veff serrations to a...

Post by Evil D »

Not a fan of those serrations. You can have Spyderco pattern serrations cut for ~$6 here http://www.willeyknives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

To be totally blunt and honest i think it would be blasphemy to ruin a disco'd model like that. Why not try it on a Byrd to see if it comes out anywhere near useful?
I also fail to see the attraction of Veff serrations i might add.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

First off: It's your knife, your property and your money- do with all 3 as you see fit! :)
My perspective on preservation of a disco'd model and the Veff serration pattern is neither here nor there.

Secondly-
Having owned a Double bevel and sold it, I'd make 2 observations:
1.Veff serrations seem to work as intended when there is some curve to the knife- In pull cuts.
Not sure the very straight edge of the DB would work that well with them.

2. The other observation is the DB is not a big knife and gets very thin in the blade at the transition between the two bevels.
I have sneaking suspicion that grinding more metal away there to add Veff's deep serrations would be a 'bridge too far' and leave not much more than foil left....Which means maybe having 2 Veff serrations at the rear of the thick part of the edge- hardly worth it.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

While I have heard many positive reviews of the Veff serrations (seen them on Militaries, and a Gayle Bradley), I would agree with much of what demoncase has said. Not enough room, and may not be as effective on a blade without belly or curve.
Going back to Caly.