Mantra thoughts and comparison pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: Mantra thoughts and comparison pics

Post by SpeedHoles »

It does look sleek for in-pocket carry, but I think I'd miss the thumb ramp and hole for actual use.
Going back to Caly.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Some great comparison photos :)

I have just learned about the Matra (I have no idea how I managed to miss it ?!?). I have Delica HAP40 high on my list - I am wondering how does the Matra compares to Delica in use (grip, cutting etc). Isn't the smooth Ti too slippery?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

abbazaba wrote:Image
Great photo! I'm really having a hard time resisting buying a Mantra. I have to wait though, and use my knife money for the upcoming exclusives I want, or I'll be eating ramen for months, lol. Since this is normal production I'm going to wait a bit before I buy one. Probably this summer.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I finally got my Mantra 2. It's well built and came to me without any noticeable defects that I've found. I couple things I've noted. It is sort of small for my XXL-XXXL hands which is probably why I tend to like the larger folders. I won't know until I use it if I can get along with it in the long run.

It came very smooth and almost too easy for me to flip. I'm a lock back guy at heart and have been cut bad by a liner lock coming open in my pocket. Right now I'm leaning against the usual drop it in my pocket and not worry about it like I can do with my Enduras and even Millies. It's too small for me to use a belt holster though.

I really do like it and enjoy the Titanium and CPM M4 aspect. The thin blade and shape make it a natural slicer though I do like my leaf blades. They have really changed my sense of right and wrong way a knife should be designed and I do want to make sure I don't get to set in my ways as I get old.

It's very well built and finished. I love the steel and slicing design and I seem to never get any problems with my new Spyderco knives like some seem to. Lucky I suppose.

I'll keep it for now. Like my Ti Chapparal it's out of my comfort zone but has enough good points to make it a keeper for me. I do have (2)Bradley Liner locks as well and will keep those also. Can't get enough M4 it seems.

Joe
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Matus wrote:Some great comparison photos :)

I have just learned about the Matra (I have no idea how I managed to miss it ?!?). I have Delica HAP40 high on my list - I am wondering how does the Matra compares to Delica in use (grip, cutting etc). Isn't the smooth Ti too slippery?

I find the Mantra fits better in my hand than my Lil Matriarch, (Delica Handle). Blades are too different to compare cutting and I've never owned a Delica. M4 is a fantastic steel! The handle shape combined with the stonewash on the titanium provides a secure grip even when wet in bare hands, (be sure to dry off as M4 is not stainless!) a bit slippery with "Mechanix" gloves dry or wet.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So the slicing abilities is fine for the Mantra 2? I remember lots of people worried about it being to wedge like compared to the 1
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So I just took it apart to clean her up and relube. I was hesitant at first because of the “issues” with locktite and the dreaded washers. Well there was some sort of thread lock but no red invincible stuff so it came apart easy. It was really quite dirty in there which I have found to be the case with most bearing knives, all mine get dirty but bearings moreso. The bearings are tiny! The washers indeed have a groove and are concave. I had worried about the bearings wearing right through the washers but everything seems fine, it looks as though the groove and shape are intentional even if they aren’t. There is no sign of the groove on the other side of the washers and no bumps from over tightening. The other concern I had was corrosion in around the pivot, nothing. Everything went back together without issue.
2EB42D74-380A-4304-8E2C-9106875CF12E.jpeg
I’m still using my shorter Dragonfly clip on it and it’s much better like this. I flattened the spine a little and tweaked the flipper tab to be a little more like the Advocate, that is the bit of a choil on the tab, I made it so I can put my fingertip on it for control for light duty tasks that require extra control such as splinter removal.
The initial “chaulkiness” in the action is gone as is any hint of bumpiness of the bearings interacting with the washers. This is definitely more of a push button action rather than light switch.
It’s kind of funny, after the honeymoon it’s seen less and less pocket time. It ticks a lot of boxes and is a great knife but just doesn’t “do it” for me like it really should. Based on all it’s got going for it, you shouldn’t be able to get your hands on one but they are available everywhere?! Even before people got scared with the whole washer thing that doesn’t seem to actually cause an issue for most, they weren’t flying off the shelves. I hope more people give it a chance because it’s a great little blade and I want a Cruwear sprint but on washers!!! (Washers because it’ll stay cleaner and I prefer the action on PB washer knives).
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Thanks for the write up spyderg! I've been tempted to take mine apart for cleaning & inspection but after a year and a half of use (off and on) it's still extremely smooth. I figure why mess with it if it's functioning as it should.

I really like M4 but it would be hard for me to resist a Cruwear sprint or exclusive. I don't think it would ever happen but it's nice to think about.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Really like both the Mantra's. The additional mass of the 1 blade over the 2 improves the flipper opening. Wish they'd make a Mantra 2 XL sans bearings with LC. This would likely become my primary edc.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I noticed mine was feeling a little sticky from the grime in there a couple weeks ago but didn’t get around to it then. I was reminded about it because I just ordered a Domino! I’m expecting a lot from that one, love the ctsxhp on my Techno, the flipping action is supposed to be great, and despite many other opinions on it, I really like the funny pattern! Kind of reminds me of the pattern my late Fathers old leather belt, (not of the disciplinary variety, lol!)
Cruwear is just awesome, and would be great on the Mantra, or any other knife really. I also want a Tuff sprint in it!!! I’ve got an Enigma Knives slipjoint in US2000 which apparently is equivalent to it.