What are your 3 favorite new knives in the 2016 catalog?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

What are your 3 favorite new knives in the 2016 catalog?

Post by Surfingringo »

I'd like to hear folk's top 3 favorite new designs. I'll go first.

I just finished going through the new catalog for the first time and I saw some new releases that I really like! Here are the top 3 that caught my interest after a quick glance.

1. Mantra 2- This one looks really cool. I like the thin profile of the 2 but the regular Mantra looks great too and I like the functional spyderhole on that one. We shall see. I am already wanting a sprint on the Mantra 2 in lc200n. I think it would make for a good "high end salt". :)

2. Cooks knife- Great looking design for the kitchen.

3. WolfSpyder- I'm going to need to hold this one first but if the ergos are right then I will likely "need" one. haha

All in all I am very happy with the catalog and all the new offerings. Thoughts?
bearfacedkiller

Re: What are your 3 favorite new knives in the 2016 catalog?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am relieved that nothing is too tempting. I got my Stretch2 and my Blurple so a lot of the catalog is kind of meh to me. Thank goodness, I have a bunch of sprints and exclusives to buy this year. The Bradley2 is on the radar for sure and the Vrango looks interesting but price may be a factor on that one.

Oh yeah, Snapit Salt for sure :D. And I am still anxious to get a HAP40 Stretch and Delica.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes, the Vrango is going to be expensive I think. :(
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

1. Native5 40th Anniversary Damascus CF
  2. Manix2 CPM-154/CPM-S90V Composite Blade CF
  3. Mantra 2
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mantra 2 here also
wolfspyder
s110v millie and M2
52100 millie
vrango

geez who am I kidding, I'm going to be so broke in 2016
Last edited by farnorthdan on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Just realized the Topic was new designs.
Original post deleted. Sorry for not reading closer.
Last edited by El Gato on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is about 3 new designs.None for me.I am waiting for Spydiechef.As a side note: where are Delica/Endura in G10 ?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

elena86 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is about 3 new designs.None for me.I am waiting for Spydiechef.As a side note: where are Delica/Endura in G10 ?
Noticed this too and mentioned in another thread, sure like the looks of the ones they showed though. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

1) CF 52100 Military

2) S110V Military

3) Mantra 2
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

-S110V Native5 in FRN

-Pattada

-52100 Military

(Mantra2 is definitely in the top 4 as well.. ;) )
Last edited by Joris Mo on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It breaks my heart to see that Caly3 is gone. :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can't really say I have 3 that I'm excited for, because the ones I have on my wish list aren't really new models. I'm pretty excited about both new Military's, definitely the 110 version, and I love that fluted CF on the 40th Native (wish they'd do patterns like that on all the G10 models). I'm pretty intrigued with the Nirvana, but I'm going to have to handle that thing before I even consider paying the asking price. Beyond that it's just a few other production models I've had my eye on.

Anyone else notice the laminate line on the 52100 Military? It doesn't mention the blade being laminated. What's the other steel?

Kinda let down that I don't see a S110V Yojimbo 2, and I'm STILL wishing for a DLC version ;)

Was hoping to see a wharnie/sheepsfoot Manbug as well as H1 versions of both. Maybe someday.

I still want an Autonomy...gotta figure out how I can make that happen.

The Mamba is a crazy looking knife. I kinda like it, even though there's nooooo way I would buy or carry something that eccentric.

Kinda let down by the Positron. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just strongly prefer the Southard's styling and was hoping for something more like that.

The Mantra/Mantra 2 are kind of neat. Sort of like flipper Delica/Enduras. But, like those two knives, that dang handle shape just kills it for me because I know that grip doesn't work with my hand. Bummer.

I could not be more confused with the Janisong. The mechanism is one thing, but CANNOT be sold IN the USA? With the knife laws that many other countries have, I can't see how this is a smart business decision. Seems like the market for this knife is extremely small.

Still kinda want a Nilakka. Not sure if I'll ever take the plunge. I'd love to see a carbon steel in this knife..that would push me over the edge.

The Kiwi 4 is awesome. Wouldn't that knife be awesome in rounded/polished G10 with a Superblue or ZDP blade? :wink:

Still like the Serrata, just don't have a lot of use for fixies.

The Cook's Knife is beautiful, might be my first Spydie kitchen knive purchase.

I really want a GITD Baliyo, but I really wish they'd make a USA made version in black too.

I think that about sums it up for me.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

40th Anniversary Native 5
Wolf Spyder
Composite Manix 2

If it's only about completely new models then:

Wolf Spyder
Mantra
Vrango
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Being new to all this I'm experiencing a little sensory overload after looking at the new catalog.

Out of just the new designs the Native 5 LW S110V dark blue FRN is a must have for me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Y'all can list any three that make you happy but my idea was to include not just new models but also new variations of existing models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Shockwave wrote:Being new to all this I'm experiencing a little sensory overload after looking at the new catalog.

Out of just the new designs the Native 5 LW S110V dark blue FRN is a must have for me.
Man, I know that feeling like it happened to me just yesterday, and it's been well over 10 years ago. The first time I looked through the catalog I actually thought knives could be ordered with any steel or handle material offered, because there were so many variations of some models at the time. But, it's a great problem to have isn't it?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Looks like another bleak year for me. I'd have been overjoyed to find one that truly excited me. :(
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:Looks like another bleak year for me. I'd have been overjoyed to find one that truly excited me. :(
Nothing Paul?? Not a Native fan? I know you are a stretch fan, not interested in the hap40 sprint?
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Evil D wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Being new to all this I'm experiencing a little sensory overload after looking at the new catalog.

Man, I know that feeling like it happened to me just yesterday, and it's been well over 10 years ago. The first time I looked through the catalog I actually thought knives could be ordered with any steel or handle material offered, because there were so many variations of some models at the time. But, it's a great problem to have isn't it?
Yes it's all pretty exciting. I've made my initial plunge buying 4 Spydies so far. I'm learning new things about the company and it's knifes on a daily basis. I have a few more to buy before I back off my buying frenzy. I am beyond happy with all my purchases so far. I'm an old school guy so I can't wait to get my paper catalog in the mail.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Shockwave wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yes it's all pretty exciting. I've made my initial plunge buying 4 Spydies so far. I'm learning new things about the company and it's knifes on a daily basis. I have a few more to buy before I back off my buying frenzy. I am beyond happy with all my purchases so far. I'm an old school guy so I can't wait to get my paper catalog in the mail.
What 4 do you have so far? It will make it easier for us to help you spend more money if we know that. hehe