That feeling when you're at work...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsvirsky

Re: That feeling when you're at work...

Post by dsvirsky »

twinboysdad wrote:Duh! That's what the Ladybug Hawkbill is for . . . Get one, they are badass and SO useful.
Yep! I work in a Federal building and usually carry both a custom slipjoint and my USN Hawkbill Labybug (SE).
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ok since on some days we can wear jeans I've decided to bring my ladybug to work today. Can't really carry when wearing dress pants. Stupid girl pockets.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry all sorts of knives to work. Usually a Para2 and a Delica but anything is ok. I carry a Military to work sometimes. I have also converted a few coworkers to Spyderco users. That is really your best angle. :) I work in a factory though, most people have at least a box cutter or something. Nobody ever seems too alarmed here. I probably wouldn't pull a Szabo out at lunch break but otherwise I am good to go. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Who cares if they would freak, do it anyway :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Its one of the things I love about living where I do, nobody even bats an eye at a knife, heck nobody cares if your carrying a gun and a large percentage do here... ;) :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ok I found a solution. It solves the concealability and lack of pocket space problems.
Spydergirl88
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

I usually carry a Vic Executive in an office environment. Sometimes a Manbug, and I have lots of other "old man" knives from Schrade, Buck, Case, etc., that nobody feels threatened by. I couldn't imagine a kind of life where I was afraid of everything like most people seem to be. Somewhere out there is someone who would roll the SWAT team over a hot pink Ladybug. The corporate world isn't something I'm real keen to go back to, at least for now.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

There hasn't been a pink PM2 yet, but we can hope. Seriously, though, carrying knives to work won't wig out the ladies in the office if you use them discreetly and refrain from flicking while at work.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

My opinion is this: if we don't exercise our rights to carry knives without fear, because some total wussie will be "offended" or "alarmed", then we diminish this right.

You are doing something legal and reasonable: carrying a knife for everyday use. If you are "hiding" the knife, it gives the illusion that you are doing something wrong, and this empowers the politically correct crowd that would love nothing more than to bully everyone into submission.

So, wear your Spyderco and wear it proud. :spyder: :cool: :spyder:
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

PM1 wrote:My opinion is this: if we don't exercise our rights to carry knives without fear, because some total wussie will be "offended" or "alarmed", then we diminish this right.

You are doing something legal and reasonable: carrying a knife for everyday use. If you are "hiding" the knife, it gives the illusion that you are doing something wrong, and this empowers the politically correct crowd that would love nothing more than to bully everyone into submission.

So, wear your Spyderco and wear it proud. :spyder: :cool: :spyder:
I wear mine proudly, d-fly clipped between the buttons of my polo shirt. Nobody in my office seems to care.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I walk through security (metal detector, bag search, phone search) every day at work. I help write the software that the security department uses.

I'm carrying my Vallotton this week. I plop it in the tray with my keys when I go through the metal detector. No one says anything. Sometimes I carry a Military, Szabo folder, etc. Security and HR allow it so I'm carrying it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Ok I found a solution. It solves the concealability and lack of pocket space problems.
Nice set-up! The only problem I see is that you still have cash left over... From buying Spydies! :p Now get out there and spend that last $1 on something Spyderco-related. I think the Bug lapel pins are only a few bucks... :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Reject

Post by Reject »

It was a coffee break at work and I was sitting at the table in the lunch room. There were 3 of us at the table, a work colleague same side of the table, to my left and the boss on the other side of the table, again to my left.

There was a large piece of cake at the centre of the table, that the boss’s wife had sent in. I reached across to grab a piece, but first it needed to be cut.

Image What the others saw.

I reached across to the cake and as my hand came close to the cake. There was a Snap and the blade of the Para-military appeared from my hand. It surprised them a little and then the smart remarks began; they know I like my knives.

As I cut the cake the remarks continued; it left the blade a bit messy, so I used a bit of the paper towel that was on the table to clean it. With the open knife still visible in my right hand; I raised a little from the chair a bit so I could throw the paper towel in to the bin with my left hand.

I sat back down and immediately reached across and picked up a piece of cake with my now empty right hand. The sudden appearance of the Para had surprised them and but its disappearance had stunned them.Image A grasp came from each of them; for a while not a word was spoken and when it was; it was about something completely different.

Image What really happened.

The cake needed to be cut, so I took the Par-military from my pocket and opened it up. It was as simple as that. It was not done in a secretive manner, I didn’t do it any quicker than normal and it certainly wasn’t doing to be showy or shock them.

But, they were giving me **** over it. (It can be a bit annoying at times.)

When I had raised from the chair to throw the paper towel into the bin with my left. The devious dark side of my brain came into play Image. I realized that 2 things were happening.
As I was throwing the paper towel, my left arm blocked their view of my right hand and the Para. Also, that when you throw something into a bin; people have a tendency to look at the bin to see if you get it in there.

So I figured that I had about 1 second, maybe a second and a half to work with.
A quick one handed close, Para back in pocket and the hand back to the exact same position it had been in. So as far they were aware; it hadn’t moved.

Hence their shock when the hand they thought they had been watching the whole time was now empty and the knife had simply disappeared.

I must be a devious little blighter, Image because I enjoyed that.
How much can a Koala bear?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So beginning Jan 1st, my place of employment won't be under restrictions for certain weapons. Can't wait to rock a PM2 :cool:
Spydergirl88
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I'm a teacher, and knives are strictly a no-no on campus. The other day, though, I was perusing this very site during class, and a student came up, saw my screen, and said "Ooooh, Spyderco - those are great knives, because they don't rust!" I knew this kid was a sailor, and figured he's talking about the H1 Salt, and sure enough, he starts in on the 'hydrogen in the steel', etc. All kinds of ways to meet fellow knife nuts at every work place! Spyderco is helping bridge the generation gap! Sorry this got a lil off topic...