New PM2 - S110V - Tight Pivot?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpcwon

New PM2 - S110V - Tight Pivot?

Post by jpcwon »

Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move/delete if it doesn't belong here. My name is JP, and I am the proud new owner of a PM2 in S110V! I recently got into EDC folding knives, and a friend told me that the PM2 was a must-have, so I decided to pull the trigger. I did some research, and I decided that it would be cool to own one of the latest iterations of the PM2, so I picked up one of the new ones with dark blue (okay okay....Blurple) G10 scales and S110V steel. So far I am loving it! Feels great in the hand and is razor sharp from the factory!

I just had one question though. I noticed that the pivot is a bit tight from the factory. Is this normal? Do I have to just break it in? I can manage to flick it open, but not consistently as there is quite a bit of resistance. I would imagine I just have to use the knife some and it will break in.

Overall though I am very happy with my new knife! This is my first Spyderco knife, but not my first Spyderco product (also own a Sharpmaker)....Happy to be a part of the forum! Hope everyone has a great day :)
Last edited by jpcwon on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Re: New PM2 - S110V - Tight Pivot?

Post by Surfingringo »

If its just a bit stiff as you describe, it won't take much use and "fondling" for it to break in to perfection. Enjoy the great knife. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Try a drop of oil and if that doesn't work you could always loosen the pivot ever so slightly. Other than that it should break in nicely.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jpcwon

Post by jpcwon »

Excellent, thanks a lot for the replies! Yeah it's not like "alarmingly" tight, just a bit stiff. Before trying any sort of lubricant, I will just play with it a bit and hopefully it should break in. The reason I asked is because I saw videos online of other owners, who's PM2's blades swung freely under the blade's own weight (with the compression lock pushed in obviously). I didn't know if mine was supposed to be like that from the factory. Sounds like I just need to go ahead and put it to use and it should take care of itself!
PM1

Post by PM1 »

My PM2 did break-in with just some opening and closing to become super smooth, so that may happen with yours as well. However, I have noticed they do vary in stiffness from the factory. If you get impatient and flicking + lube (I use gun oil) isn't getting the results you want, then a small amount of loosening on the pivot will work for sure.
jpcwon

Post by jpcwon »

Great I will keep that in mind! Thanks again. Based on my initial impressions I have a feeling that this won't be my last PM2!! I am a service engineer for a medical device company, and I have a feeling that this blade will get a ton of use here at work. :)
PM1

Post by PM1 »

jpcwon wrote: I saw videos online of other owners, who's PM2's blades swung freely under the blade's own weight (with the compression lock pushed in obviously). I didn't know if mine was supposed to be like that from the factory.
My PM2 is not that loose, and I don't want it to be. If I'm closing the PM2 by holding-in the compression lock and rotating the knife, I want just a little friction so that the blade gets to the closed position and stays there. If there is zero friction, the blade might rebound out of the closed position. I like my PM2 smooth and slick, but not 100% loose and free swinging.
jpcwon

Post by jpcwon »

PM1 wrote:
jpcwon wrote: I saw videos online of other owners, who's PM2's blades swung freely under the blade's own weight (with the compression lock pushed in obviously). I didn't know if mine was supposed to be like that from the factory.
My PM2 is not that loose, and I don't want it to be. If I'm closing the PM2 by holding-in the compression lock and rotating the knife, I want just a little friction so that the blade gets to the closed position and stays there. If there is zero friction, the blade might rebound out of the closed position. I like my PM2 smooth and slick, but not 100% loose and free swinging.
Makes sense. I think mine should break in nicely then. Yeah I would suppose if it were "too" loose, then you'd eventually be approaching some side-to-side blade play which, I would imagine, is not ideal. I will continue to play with it and use it, and I am sure it will be buttery smooth in no time.
adam569

Post by adam569 »

The more you play with it the better it will get
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've found that if its too tight its more often the stop pin rather than the pivot pin that's too tight but like others have recommended, give it some time to break in before making any adjustments. I have had a few that needed adjustment but often they will break in just fine.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

farnorthdan wrote:I've found that if its too tight its more often the stop pin rather than the pivot pin that's too tight but like others have recommended, give it some time to break in before making any adjustments. I have had a few that needed adjustment but often they will break in just fine.

I've found this to be true as well. Due to the design of PM2, the stop pin can muck up the stepped pivot "bushing" if it is too tight.

But I've also found that messing with it can screw it up much more than waiting for the knife to break in properly.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
jpcwon

Post by jpcwon »

Able Dog wrote: I've found this to be true as well. Due to the design of PM2, the stop pin can muck up the stepped pivot "bushing" if it is too tight.

But I've also found that messing with it can screw it up much more than waiting for the knife to break in properly.
Yeah, that's the plan as of right now. I've been practicing my "middle finger flick" deployment all day here at work, and the pivot seems to be breaking in. So far I'm loving this knife! :D