Lanyard for UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aesmith

Lanyard for UKPK

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I find I don't carry my UKPK as much as I thought I would, reason being that I miss the lanyard. I've seen pictures of wire loops fitted in place of the clip, but I wondered whether anyone's come up with a neater solution. I just had a little try and you can't quite fit a 2mm line around the back, without the blade nipping it when the knife's closed. I've not afraid to take the knife apart, and I'd be up for making irreversible modifications to fix what is for me a major disadvantage of this knife. As a matter of fact I don't think any of the other slip joints except the Roadie have lanyard holes, or am I missing some?

Thanks, Tony S
---------
Tony S
The Deacon

Re: Lanyard for UKPK

Post by The Deacon »

Here's a photo of one taken apart. I suspect you could drill a small hole in both scales for a lanyard at the point I've indicated with a yellow dot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I was wondering about just in front of the block that the fastener passes through, where I've put the red dot here. Of course the ideal position would be where the fastener is, but that would require some more substantial rework. Shame that didn't use a tubular fitting.

---------
Tony S
sal

Post by sal »

As you have seen, location is difficult. Ideally, one would drill a hole and add a pipe as close to the spine and clip mount as is possible without affecting strength or safety. We felt the added cost and tooling change to accommodate a few at the cost of the many was in question. Though I'm pleased to have the conversation?

sal
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Sal,

Thanks for chipping in. I was thinking, vaguely, about epoxying a tube in the desired location. Reality is I might just go for something simpler that doesn't mean alteration. I'll post up pictures if I do anything.
---------
Tony S
sal

Post by sal »

Keep us posted.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

You could do something like this :D

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=63600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Holland on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I had a little play around and came up with this, using what I had to hand which was copper electrical wire. Doing it for real I'd use brass wire rod. It would be neater if I extended the grooves right to the end so the cross section could be just a simple U shape. Anyway it's an idea, and it works even if I never improve on it.

---------
Tony S
sal

Post by sal »

We've had a few forumites come up with various wire additions that work well. We even considered making a part in-house.

sal