Any Non-Locking Salts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aesmith

Any Non-Locking Salts?

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I was looking at the Salts, and some other models but for me in the UK a lock is a big disadvantage. OK if I'm heading out to the boat then I have what they call "Good Reason" to have a relevant knife with me, but I could still get caught out if I forget I've got it in my jacket pocket or with me at another time. I don't think there are any non-locking Salts at the moment, are there?

Just personally, I don't miss a lock. When I found (to my surprise) that a locking knife doesn't count as a "folding knife" under our laws, I bought a non-locking knife almost right away and the lockers have pretty much stayed at home or for use round the house ever since.

Tony S
---------
Tony S
SpyderNut

Re: Any Non-Locking Salts?

Post by SpyderNut »

You make a good point, Tony. I'd be willing to bet there would be a lot of potential for a non-locking Salt model--even in the US market. Eric mentioned earlier this summer that the Salt series continues to be a point of focus for Spyderco. It'll be interesting to see what new concepts/models they come up with. A Slip-it would be a good start. What blade length would you be interested in for a Salt Slip-it?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The UKPK could be a candidate for a Salt. They autonomy was made in Golden with H1 so maybe they can get enough to do some UKPKs too. The clip is the other issue. Has there been a ti wire clip or other totally stainless clip? It would make for a very lightweight salt for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I already asked Sal for this; however, no response so far. Of course, things do change. :D

To me, the most obvious choice to keep manufacturing more simple and profitable would be to fuse the existing, UKPK handle (with the 1/2 and 1/2 choil for added safety), the existing UKPK slipjoint design and the forward/sharpened blade shape of the Tasman or Lil' Matriarch.

Option #1: The UK Salt Mariner variant: H1 Spyderedge Hawkbill blade (with or without TiCN/DL coating) -- this variant would have several advantages: 1) it would be the first H1 Salt Series folder available to the UK and European market, 2) it would be the first 100% rustproof slipjoint for the whole world, 3) The name and design would compliment the current Spyderco line-up.

Option #2: The UK Lil' Mariner variant: H1 Spyderedge reverse-S (with or without TiCN/DL coating) -- this variant would have the same
advantages as the UK Salt Mariner plus it would be the first ever rustproof, reverse-s blade for the whole world.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about this in H1? Again, the clip is the issue.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tap78

Post by tap78 »

What about Pingo high HG SE Salt... ?
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

This would be my ideal edc as even in the summer time I seem to end up rained on. Good thread, shall be watching this with interest. Thanks for posting.

I would gladly carry
(All slippies and h1 ) SE or PE
Dragonfly
Ladybug
Manbug
Bradleyair
Squeak
And a remake of the Byrd wings slippit.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about an Urban Salt, but fixed so it was easier to open one handed.
- best wishes, Jazz.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I'd forgotten about country of origin, looks like all the Salts are made in Japan, and the current slip joints (except UKPK) are made in Italy. Not sure what would be cost effective, as didn't Spyderco say they can't really use Japanese steel outside Japan? (or can't without a huge cost).

Regarding the locking designs, a few people have modded back lock knives to make them into slippies (in Scotland an appeal court ruled that a non-functioning lock counts as non-locking). However for production you wouldn't want the notch in the scales, and I think FRN moulding changes are big bucks as well.
---------
Tony S
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be cool to see a Salt knife with the same lock as the PITS. That would require some type of stain resistant metal handle though and would likely be more expensive than most Salt knives.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Evil D wrote:It would be cool to see a Salt knife with the same lock as the PITS. That would require some type of stain resistant metal handle though and would likely be more expensive than most Salt knives.
The PITS was really designed around Titanium, I don't know if it would work with another metal. Maybe with some hi-tech composite forming the handle and the spring leaves, and an H1 roller where it engages the tang? Even if possible, it would be an eye watering price, especially for what should be a working knife.
---------
Tony S
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What you and I need is a non-locking Salt called the Spyderco Caspian Salt 2.0. A reboot of the original Caspian Salt, with H1 steel blade and FRN handle. That would solve the problem perfectly.