Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Well, the bigger Native is coming...and with a compression lock no less. I heard from some who got to handle one at the seconds sale that it is really nice. I agree with you about wanting more in-house designs though. Most all of my favorite Spydercos were designed by Sal.
Uh, come again? Larger compression lock equipped Native you say? Excuse me while I wipe my chin. That sounds like a fantastic recipe.

All hail the forthcoming SHAMAN! :spyder:
I seen it! It was saweet!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Re: Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Post by SpeedHoles »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Well, the bigger Native is coming...and with a compression lock no less. I heard from some who got to handle one at the seconds sale that it is really nice. I agree with you about wanting more in-house designs though. Most all of my favorite Spydercos were designed by Sal.
Uh, come again? Larger compression lock equipped Native you say? Excuse me while I wipe my chin. That sounds like a fantastic recipe.

Highly jealous of your opportunity to grace the presence of this powerful new entity to come from Golden! :)
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I am going to make a bold prediction and say that the Shaman is going to be a popular knife.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

$90-$130 is my preferred price point and there are plenty of options in that range... It's not like you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a higher end model...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpeedHoles wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Highly jealous of your opportunity to grace the presence of this powerful new entity to come from Golden! :)
Yes, the Shaman is going to be a great knife. The prototype had very comfortable rounded G10 scales, and I think that Sal said they plan to keep it that way on the production piece.
lentuk

Post by lentuk »

You guys sure thread crap a lot here.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone know if the Shaman has nested liners?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

lentuk wrote:You guys sure thread crap a lot here.
Welcome to the forum lentuk
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Have you heard about the new Shaman Lentuk? :cool:
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Spyderco is a business. Plain and simple. They make a profit producing knives for an open market. The market demands high end knives right now. So they make them. If it was not profitable they would not do it. They also cater to the affordable market with the Byrd line of knives as well as many very reasonable Spyderco brand knives.

It is just business. These posts seem rather short sighted. A leader in knife technology should cater to all levels of the market. Just Like any car manufacturer, just as an example. You can buy a base Toyota econo car or you can buy a fully loaded Lexus. Same company. Same concept. YMMV....sorry for the pun...LOL.

Plus have you seen the price for some custom knives right now?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

I'm hailing, I'm hailing...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Surfingringo wrote: Well, the bigger Native is coming...and with a compression lock no less.
That is great news, looking forward to it :spyder:

On topic to the OP. I was recently drawn to Spyderco because of all the great offerings they have between $60-$150. All the knifes I like and want are in that range. TONS of great options to choose from!
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

As a user, I could've stopped with just a Dragonfly and Delica and been good the next 20 years.

As someone just starting to collect, that their products hold their value well is almost more important than the actual prices. If the few collectible knives I can afford go down in value, it's hard to justify collecting them, at least for me. It doesn't matter what they cost today if it's N today and N-1 tomorrow.

But as someone here pointed out, the sprint runs probably increase in value better than interest your money would get just sitting in a bank. That makes it easy to snap up some of the ones I like and keep them boxed. If anyone asks, I don't take them out at night and play with them.

And of course, the more affordable they are, the more I can collect :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

lentuk wrote:I guess Spyderco is for rich people now, not for a working guy like me.
What has happened???
20 years ago, Spyderco had a couple "very expensive" collaboration models and one "very expensive" in house offering in a lineup 1/10 the size of today's. So, as far as I can see, the only thing that "has happened" is that they now offer a much wider selection of knives at a wide range of price points.

lentuk wrote:I currently own an Endura, PM2, Domino, a Meerkat two Pingos, a Caly 3 and Caly 3.5.
Just bought one of the new Kiwis also.
The Domino was a little over $200.00 if I remember correctly, it did not seem unreasonable at the time for a titanium frame lock flipper with carbon fiber scales, the quality is great but it was still only 1/2 the $$ of what some of the current offerings are.
The models you mentioned, as well as quite a few other reasonably priced ones, are still in the lineup.

Sounds like you would prefer Spyderco only built knives you can afford. I can relate, I wish they'd drop all the "tactical" stuff and concentrate on elegant midlocks with smooth bolsters and 50/50 choils. Oh well, sucks to be me today, sucks to be you today.
Not really. Most who posted here pointed out the same thing I did, that you're only seeing what you want to see and that there are plenty of reasonably priced models in Spyderco's lineup.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Anyone know if the Shaman has nested liners?
I am not positive but I believe they were. GS, do you remember?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I am digging the Mamba,too.I have absolutely no use for it,but i want one.By the way,anyone have an idea how the Pattada looks like?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

lentuk wrote:The new Nirvana is $720.00?
$720 MSRP for a titanium integral (one piece handle) folder that's virtually identical to Peter Rassenti's custom version which sells for over $1700. Expensive, yes, but given that US "street price" will be closer to $432, some will also consider it a bargain.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/nirv ... %3fPage%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67110&p=1008507&hil ... a#p1008507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Most people don't hold it against Ford that they made the GT40 as a limited release that 99% of Ford owners couldn't even dream of affording, so why are so many here airing their sour grapes over the pricing of Spyderco's top of the line products?

It's not like they discontinued the meat & potatoes models that most of us can buy (or even collect) without going hungry!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:Image

Hahaha, nice. Yeah, a lot of people raising a fuss over it for some reason.
This year Spyderco won BOTH the imported knife of the year for the Nirvana, AND best value of the year with the Cara Cara 2. So how can anyone complain? Their line-up coverage is huge!

Like Archimedes said about the car company category selection comparison - if anyone is a Mustang fan, or likes the F-150, or a new Focus RS... why would anyone complain if Ford wanted to develop and produce the new GT supercar?
Well, why would we, as Spyderco fans who like a Delica or Stretch, want to hold back Spyderco from achieving the production of these award winning knives like the Nirvava?
Just because many of us can't afford or justify its cost doesn't mean we should be selfish and tell them not to do it. Not like they are leaving us behind by only making $300+ products.
Going back to Caly.