Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lentuk

Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Post by lentuk »

I have been busy with life and have been using my older Spyderco knives every day.
I just really did not have time for the forums or reading about new models, recently I decided to see what new models have come out in the time I have been away.
I have to say that I am blown away by the pricing of the new Taiwan made knives, I was wanting a new Rubicon but $500.00?
The new Nirvana is $720.00 for a Taiwanese Sebenza copy?
I guess Spyderco is for rich people now, not for a working guy like me.
What has happened???
EDC Honeybee

Re: Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Post by EDC Honeybee »

There have been a few discussions on this recently. But two point to note about what you said above:
1. Those prices are MSRP. Generally you can reputable dealers selling for 55%-65% of the MSRP price. That is a significant price difference one a $500 MSRP. The Rubicon is $261 on amazon right now. Not saying its a cheap knife, but that MSRP is a bad gauge of the value of the knives.
2. Spyderco is still introducing more middle of the road knives (the positron, caly 3.5, chapparal, etc) that can be had for $100-200. The knives you pointed out represent the most expensive knives of a very large lineup.

Still, many people feel that prices have creeped out of their reach. I haven't been around spyderco long enough to see the increase.
Cujobob

Re: Been away for a while, wanted to start collecting new Spydercos, but the prices??

Post by Cujobob »

On top of what Honeybee said, the Nirvana has nothing similar to a Sebenza other than the lock and handle material. Integrals are very difficult to manufacture (one solid handle piece, not two slabs).

The Rubicon is available for around $250-300. It is near custom - level, it is not a typical production level piece. Compared to what has been available typically for under $200 from the company, it is more refined. Pivot collar, contoured cf scales, backspacer, and custom clip.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

There are still plenty of high end knives with affordable prices. The upcoming Gayle Bradley 2 will likely remain one of the best values in the lineup at $139. FWIW, the fit and finish on the Taichung Spydercos is better than a LOT of $500+ customs. Yup, I said it...BETTER.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

There is still a lot of value in the native series, delica and endura line ups. You are looking at the high end with the Nirvana, a great knife as Surfgringo said but don't overlook the value throughout the rest of the line up. A sports car and a pickup are made for different purposes and price points.

What are the older models you have?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd suggest checking out some of those Taichung, Taiwan Spydercos because they're the best. You don't have to buy the absolute most expensive ones that you mentioned.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Surfingringo wrote: FWIW, the fit and finish on the Taichung Spydercos is better than a LOT of $500+ customs. Yup, I said it...BETTER.
+1 on this for sure.
My Taichung made Chaparrals (2), and Sage series knives (4), are of extremely high quality. They have completely changed my impression of "Made In Taiwan". I am looking forward to more offerings in the Chaparral series. Great knives all. Yes,"BETTER".
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

As the others mentioned, the Nirvana and Rubicon happen to be two of the higher-end/higher cost Spyderco's. You can still purchase a standard Delica for around $58-$60, which is really a bargain considering that most other competitors in this price range generally use lower-end Chinese steels whereas the Delica has VG-10.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There are still plenty of great values in the lineup coming from different factorys. Many of the Golden models are a great value as are the Delica/Endura coming from Japan. As far as the Taiwan knives go take a look at the Sage1 and the Chaparral1. They are both super nice and right around $100. The Nirvana is machined from a solid block of titanium and is not slab construction. I think calling it a Taiwanese copy of a Sebenza is selling it a little short. It is too expensive for me but I admire the monolithic handle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
lentuk

Post by lentuk »

I currently own an Endura, PM2, Domino, a Meerkat two Pingos, a Caly 3 and Caly 3.5.
Just bought one of the new Kiwis also.
The Domino was a little over $200.00 if I remember correctly, it did not seem unreasonable at the time for a titanium frame lock flipper with carbon fiber scales, the quality is great but it was still only 1/2 the $$ of what some of the current offerings are.
palonej

Post by palonej »

You're looking at the absolute top of the lineup.....and I'd take the Taiwan Spydies over just about anything out there.
Check out the prices from other manufacturers.....Spydie is still the best value.
Holland

Post by Holland »

palonej wrote:You're looking at the absolute top of the lineup.....and I'd take the Taiwan Spydies over just about anything out there.
Check out the prices from other manufacturers.....Spydie is still the best value.
+1

I dislike the sebenza comparisons. The Taiwan models have comparable fit and finish to CRK from my experience. And you get the bonus of not having to deal with CRK's stupid low ht

Welcome back to the world of spyderco :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lentuk,

Welcome back. You might say we've expanded our offerings.

sal
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Holland wrote: I dislike the sebenza comparisons. The Taiwan models have comparable fit and finish to CRK from my experience. And you get the bonus of not having to deal with CRK's stupid low ht
This.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm reserving my opinion of the Nirvana until I can handle one. I have a feeling it will be in a class of it's own both in the catalog and among the competition.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I think that Spyderco are trying to cover all the bases,like Sal said.They want a piece of the big,tactical folding knife market (Tatanka) as well as one from the high end colectible (Nirvana,Mamba,Rubicon).I have no problem with the prices because i wouldnt buy the Rubicon or the Mike Draper for 30$,for example.I only wish they bring more traditional,in house designs,like a smaller Military,or a bigger DF,or a Tenacious with compression lock and S30V steel :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderwolf wrote:I think that Spyderco are trying to cover all the bases,like Sal said.They want a piece of the big,tactical folding knife market (Tatanka) as well as one from the high end colectible (Nirvana,Mamba,Rubicon).I have no problem with the prices because i wouldnt buy the Rubicon or the Mike Draper for 30$,for example.I only wish they bring more traditional,in house designs,like a smaller Military,or a bigger DF,or a Tenacious with compression lock and S30V steel :)
Well, the bigger Native is coming...and with a compression lock no less. I heard from some who got to handle one at the seconds sale that it is really nice. I agree with you about wanting more in-house designs though. Most all of my favorite Spydercos were designed by Sal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Well, the bigger Native is coming...and with a compression lock no less. I heard from some who got to handle one at the seconds sale that it is really nice. I agree with you about wanting more in-house designs though. Most all of my favorite Spydercos were designed by Sal.
Uh, come again? Larger compression lock equipped Native you say? Excuse me while I wipe my chin. That sounds like a fantastic recipe.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Uh, come again? Larger compression lock equipped Native you say? Excuse me while I wipe my chin. That sounds like a fantastic recipe.

All hail the forthcoming SHAMAN! :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
lentuk

Post by lentuk »

OK, looked a little closer at the Nirvana, not a Sebenza , very cool but not for me, I am digging the new Mamba though.