2015 Second Sale Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hudsonhawk

Re: 2015 Second Sale Report

Post by hudsonhawk »

SpeedHoles wrote:Nice coverage shots, GS, thanks for posting those up! Looks like an experience I need to put on my bucket list.

Your single day haul there looks nearly as big as my whole entire collection amassed over decades, lol

Are those all factory seconds, or were some just regular sale models? Can't see the spine notch on some of the photos, like the Lava...
All seconds. What I noticed this year was that the notch was very petite, smaller than on some of my others older seconds knives.

They had first run knives on an overstock table but only a few models. USN hawkbills, Diceds, K2s, Kahr arms Delica and some others.

I handled several PITS, but just couldn't pull the trigger for $100. I'll probably regret it when they are like the ATR in 4 years. I put a Schempp Bowie back that someone else was glad to take for $75.

What made me happy was seeing how helpful everyone was. I saw zero fighting over knives. Instead, folks were helping each other find the models on their list. Most of the time people were looking for different things so it worked out. I was able to pass on several in-demand models that way and it made the day all the more enjoyable.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

hudsonhawk wrote: What made me happy was seeing how helpful everyone was. I saw zero fighting over knives. Instead, folks were helping each other find the models on their list. Most of the time people were looking for different things so it worked out. I was able to pass on several in-demand models that way and it made the day all the more enjoyable.
This. I saw many people helping each other find knives. Myself, someone found my caly3 CF for me and knew I was looking for it. I gave away several that were rare-ish but outside my price range/knew I would never use them. The employees were also very helpful. They seemed to remember what everyone was asking for and pass them along if they happened to see it. Very friendly community. In the end, I feel we all made it a better experience for each other rather than making it feel competitive and mean-spirited.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for sharing the pictures everyone. I missed out this year but will hopefully make it to the next one! Some great finds there. Eli has a keen ability to snag some great finds, especially that Firefly.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

hudsonhawk wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Nice coverage shots, GS, thanks for posting those up! Looks like an experience I need to put on my bucket list.

Your single day haul there looks nearly as big as my whole entire collection amassed over decades, lol

Are those all factory seconds, or were some just regular sale models? Can't see the spine notch on some of the photos, like the Lava...
All seconds. What I noticed this year was that the notch was very petite, smaller than on some of my others older seconds knives.
This is correct. All of the ones I got are seconds. Watch out guys--the seconds will hit the BST places soon, and evil sellers may take advantage of the tiny notches to trick people into buying them as though they were first quality pieces.
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Thank you to everyone who came to the Seconds Sale! The Spyderco employees had a much fun as you did.

To the brave 20, or so, people who camped outside in the 15F snowy weather, you are a hearty and tough bunch. Hats off to you.

Joyce :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Wow, that looked like it was an amazing event! Thanks for sharing these pics and reports!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
BTG

Post by BTG »

Joyce Laituri wrote:Thank you to everyone who came to the Seconds Sale! The Spyderco employees had a much fun as you did.

To the brave 20, or so, people who camped outside in the 15F snowy weather, you are a hearty and tough bunch. Hats off to you.

Joyce :D
Thank you, had a blast and got almost everything on my list, but the Southard pin I received as you all left for the night is my favorite.... thanks again, and see ya next year....or maybe in the spring...Bi-annual has a nice ring to it...
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Thanks for the new pics EDC Honeybee !
I confirm it look nice !
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some pics of the knives that I am sending out to people on the forum:

Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Here are some pics of the knives that I am sending out to people on the forum:

Do you remember my adress for that stuff on the 1st pic? :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
cornel616

Post by cornel616 »

How much did the cru wear militaries went for?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

cornel616 wrote:How much did the cru wear militaries went for?
BBS has them listed for $250, I think I paid around $165 for mine on the secondary and it was BNIB so they can definitely be had for a lot less than BBS.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
cmarsh90

Post by cmarsh90 »

Cru Wear Militaries were $70 at the Seconds Sale.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

:o :rolleyes: forgot what thread I was reading.....
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
cornel616

Post by cornel616 »

Ohh man, that's a good price, I keep looking on the forums to get one as a user, and can't find one....just yesterday someone put up some factory seconds on a forum he has like 40 knives for sale......, and he has the cruwear military for double then that .....and I don't know if it would make sense paying that kind of money ....
Well it sucks that I live so far from Golden (from south Florida it would be to much, flight and then rent a car to drive there etc..).....i would be there every year....
cmarsh90

Post by cmarsh90 »

When I was checking out the cashier put my knives in two different bags, I only grabbed one bag and didn't notice my missing knives until I got home (75 miles away). I called up the SFO and they said they were waiting for my call, they shipped the knives to me on their dime on Monday. What a class act Spyderco, much appreciated.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

cmarsh90 wrote:When I was checking out the cashier put my knives in two different bags, I only grabbed one bag and didn't notice my missing knives until I got home (75 miles away). I called up the SFO and they said they were waiting for my call, they shipped the knives to me on their dime on Monday. What a class act Spyderco, much appreciated.
Man, I bet you had a heart attack!!! Whoa. Anyway, glad to hear you got them back. Not only does this show their character but it also shows how well run the sale was. There were plenty of employees there to help and everybody was super helpful and totally on point. It seemed well organized and well run for what a chaotic event it is. I bet they noticed the minute you left and set it aside for ya. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I ended up bringing home the only Szabohawk at the sale(as far as I heard), the only Positron I noticed around (thanks to my friend who spotted it off the bat) then the Tatanka, Szabo folder, the Southard (I love flippers so I was on the hunt seeing that I lost my domino 2nd since the last sale), thats a $5 zdp ladybug in there, and I picked up this nice old school Yojimbo. I brought home a p'kal and trainer along with a reverse for my brother, got a roc folder for a friend in denver. I got a nice little nishijin Spin that I gave to one of my friends for car rental money(three of us drove up from Oklahoma City) and a Rubicon that I already let go to one of the group after the sale. Everyone who attended with me is already eager to go again, as am I.