Factory Seconds Sale Advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cody_G93

Re: Factory Seconds Sale Advice

Post by Cody_G93 »

I think I had that CF Caly 3 in my basket, but I put it back when I found a CF Dodo. Glad to see you found one you were really looking for. I got in the sale a little before 9 and was surprised to still find discontinued cf stuff
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Well I appreciate it. :)
It felt a bit like karma. I gave away what I think was a carpenter foundry (had the circular C logo on the handle, but Im not very familiar with the more unique knives out there) that someone seemed very happy to pick up after me. Then a guy I met in line handed me the Caly 3

One of the best parts about the event I think was the great community. Had a nice time talking with some guys in line, and then when the sale was happening I saw lots of people looking out for each other trying to help them find what they wanted. Felt like you could probably walk up to anyone in the line and have a friendly conversation.
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

Yeah it was definitely a friendly environment. Chatted with some people in line and talked to Sal for a little bit too. I'm just glad I got to wait inside, barely made it in but waited in the atrium area. Will definitely be back next year hopefully with a little more to spend.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Cody_G93 wrote:Yeah it was definitely a friendly environment. Chatted with some people in line and talked to Sal for a little bit too. I'm just glad I got to wait inside, barely made it in but waited in the atrium area. Will definitely be back next year hopefully with a little more to spend.
You and I were probably within 5 people of each other in line. I was the one in the leather jacket, first in line of the group waiting in the atrium. Was great when we figured out to shut the exterior door and open the interior door to get some heat. :)
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

Haha yeah I was in a dark green jacket, I figured there would be a lot of people off the forum there.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nice work on the regrinds, EDC. I like the way you brought down the spines, preserving the remaining blade edge instead of bringing the edge up to meet it. A lot of my knives would be more versatile with a slightly shorter blade. And thanks, both of you for reporting back about your experiences.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

DougC-3 wrote:Nice work on the regrinds, EDC. I like the way you brought down the spines, preserving the remaining blade edge instead of bringing the edge up to meet it. A lot of my knives would be more versatile with a slightly shorter blade. And thanks, both of you for reporting back about your experiences.
Yeah. I figure with the tip broken off, I wanted to preserve as much blade as possible. Most of the time I prefer wharnclif or to the big-bellied knives anyhow so it works out well. Makes them look like bird's beaks. And the delica is similar to the kahr arms delica, but I made the corner match up with where the grind starts a bit more, for aesthetics.

Ive moved to trying to fix my mess up on the sage-1. It has turned sour and has me feeling pretty bad about it. I posted a thread for that specifically here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After using the knives some, the 50/50 choil is amazing. Even the dragonfly I get a full 4 finger grip. Awesome feature. Usually handle is more important than a tiny bit more blade when it comes to these small knives IMO.

I think I finally figured out what makes both of my caly 3s seconds.
The CF one, the grind on the tip is more upswept. This makes it so the tip of the blade is just ever so slightly "below" where it enters the scales. This means that if I press my finger hard against the scales and push up towards the tip of the blade, the cutting edge/tip barely hits my finger. It doest stick out any, so it hasnt been a problem. Only noticable when my finger skin pushes in between the scales some. Definitely agree that it shouldnt be sold as a first, but its certainly nothing that will ever cause any trouble. It does mean that the edge cant be redone too many times without having to slightly reprofile the tip of the spine.
The superblue caly 3 has an issue that I can hear, but not see. When shutting back locks, I usually let the spring pull them in and dont slowly guide them in. Most of the knives I have make a click, but the superblue caly makes a more high pitched metallic noise (not as bad as it sounds) when it closes. I imagine that this means some part is hitting other than the intended part. I have been careful to check and make sure it is not hitting or resting on the cutting edge, and it doesnt appear that it is. So again, minor issue that doesnt impact use, but probably something I wouldnt be happy about if I paid 60% msrp.

Good work on spyderco for this QC. Makes me feel better about ever buying full priced stuff from them.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I agree about handle being important in smaller knives, especially if they're to be used for any extended work.

That's interesting about the blade grind on the CF Caly. I'll bet that accounts for a lot of the seconds I've heard about where the buyer could never figure out what was wrong with them.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

DougC-3 wrote:I agree about handle being important in smaller knives, especially if they're to be used for any extended work.

That's interesting about the blade grind on the CF Caly. I'll bet that accounts for a lot of the seconds I've heard about where the buyer could never figure out what was wrong with them.
I would photograph it, but its pretty much impossible to see since it still plunges below the line of the scales. Would never have noticed if it werent for constantly fondling it. :P The grind looks even though and it is a long ways from catching any fabric in the pocket, so it doesnt bother me.

And I would try to find out what is wrong about the superblue caly 3, but since they are pinned construction my hands are tied there.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

EDC Honeybee wrote:
And I would try to find out what is wrong about the superblue caly 3, but since they are pinned construction my hands are tied there.
Maybe some lubrication would make it sound more normal... you've probably already done that.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

DougC-3 wrote:
EDC Honeybee wrote:
Maybe some lubrication would make it sound more normal... you've probably already done that.
Lubed it with some mineral oil like I do most of my knives. didnt change the sound. Again, its not a bad sound. It sounds like many of my other knives, but it sounds different than the CF version which makes me think maybe that is the issue with it. The Cf one sounds more like the chaparral. In any event, I have been having a lot of fun carrying these. Usually will do dragonfly or chaparral in coin pocket with one of the caly 3s in the left front pocket. All of them have been performing great. Let me say, the steels used on these are head and shoulders above what Im used to with cheaper knives. I think the superblue is my favorite out of the bunch but the zdp is a close second. Havent used them enough to know how long they will take to lose the edge, but I enjoy sharpening anyhow. My coworker thought it was silly to go to a knife sale. He asked how it went and I showed him the chaparral and CF caly 3 I was wearing that day. He was pretty impressed at how "fancy" they were. :)