Buried treasure beneath the peel-ply CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DigDug72

Buried treasure beneath the peel-ply CF

Post by DigDug72 »

I've been channeling my inner Blackbeard and finding treasure buried deep within my peel ply Spydies - I'm in love with the g10 beneath the cf once it gets some sanding/buffing. Started with the Dice last week (documented in a previous thread), quickly moved to the Domino, and today the urge took me to get down on the Sage1. Here are pics, lemme know whatcha think:
ModdedDice2sml.jpg
ModdedDomino1_thumb.jpg
ModdedDomino2_detailThumb.jpg
ModdedSage1_fullSml.jpg
ModdedSage1_detSml.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Buried treasure beneath the peel-ply CF

Post by Doc Dan »

Looks good.

I wonder what it would be like in Spyderworld if the knives came with multi-color or dual-color G10? (blue/black; green/black; orange/black; etc)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a big fan of polished G10. If you take it up to about 3000 grit and polish it up nice, it looks pretty slick.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not only that, but those photos kick-started my ghaw gene: gotta have a Wharncliffe

Beautiful work.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

DigDug72 wrote:I've been channeling my inner Blackbeard and finding treasure buried deep within my peel ply Spydies - I'm in love with the g10 beneath the cf once it gets some sanding/buffing. Started with the Dice last week (documented in a previous thread), quickly moved to the Domino, and today the urge took me to get down on the Sage1. Here are pics, lemme know whatcha think:
That looks pretty good. I might give this a try myself. So, what process did you use to get it down to the G-10? Thanks!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Yo EvilD,
It was actually your old thread on that Kiwi that inspired me to try this. I'm going to 3000, that looks way too good- the grain pops out lovely!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Yo Spyde- I carved off hella material w/ a dremel
(drum sanding bit),then hand sanded from 220-2000 grit. Respirator is vital, don't breathe in that mess!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Awesome man glad you liked it. Make sure to wear a quality breathing mask, I think I ended up with bronchitis after doing that knife. I wore a mask but it was a cheapo.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Those look great, very organic lines and texture now!
Really digging it.

But, something I noticed - none of those are peel-ply carbon fiber. They are just the laminated Taiwan CF.
I do believe all of the peel-ply CF on Spydies are carbon fiber all the way through, with the peel-ply texture resin applied to the outside.
Going back to Caly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

whoops, you're totally right SpeedHoles. My bad, I thought this laminated CF-g10 was called peel-ply, but after a few minutes of googling it appears I'm tripping. Sorry for the misinfo yall!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DigDug72 wrote:whoops, you're totally right SpeedHoles. My bad, I thought this laminated CF-g10 was called peel-ply, but after a few minutes of googling it appears I'm tripping. Sorry for the misinfo yall!

Yeah, no biggie. When I clicked on the thread I was thinking I'd see some highly polished checker pattern carbon fiber or something (which IMO is ruined peel-ply that I like, haha).

What you did is slick though, nice and subtle. I do like it better than the flashy overdone shiny carbon fiber.
Going back to Caly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

- Thanks SpeedHoles!
- yo Evil D, I took it up to 3000, and boom! you're right man, it really gets amazing at that grit. The pattern of the g10 just leaps out all of a sudden. Didn't notice too much difference at 2500, but at 3k its magical. thanks for the tip!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

pictures coming soon, the lighting options are sucking bad at the moment and not doing the scales justice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DigDug72 wrote:- Thanks SpeedHoles!
- yo Evil D, I took it up to 3000, and boom! you're right man, it really gets amazing at that grit. The pattern of the g10 just leaps out all of a sudden. Didn't notice too much difference at 2500, but at 3k its magical. thanks for the tip!
Another trick is to oil the G10. Wipe it down with mineral oil and then wipe it dry. Especially with G10 you get a white hazy finish and this will darken it. I also polished mine on a bench grinder/buffing wheel but the compound got into every tiny crevice like around the clip grooves and I couldn't get it out so I stopped doing that for this knife. The important thing is like polishing metal, you absolutely have to remove the scratches from the previous grit before moving up to the next grit or you'll never get a mirror polish.