Spyderco flops

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Re: Spyderco flops

Post by Knivesinedc »

I thought I remember reading that the Sage 3 Blue G10 had some lock problems and wasnt very popular? I could be wrong. The old sage 3 never really interested me.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Knivesinedc wrote:I thought I remember reading that the Sage 3 Blue G10 had some lock problems and wasnt very popular? I could be wrong. The old sage 3 never really interested me.

Maybe just a "stiff lock", or possibly prone to "lint malfunction" (and even less so than the proven backlock)? That's all I can think of.

I've never seen report of any issues, nor experienced any with mine. Superb knife, actually... just doesn't fold up very narrow due to the bolt-action lock taking up handle space inside (my small nitpick).
Going back to Caly.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Surfingringo wrote:Show me a Spyderco flop and I'll show you a discontinued knife with a cult following. ;)
This is pretty much it. There are a lot of things that people don't understand until they have it in hand or in its intended use.

I think the worst situation was probably when they got into balisongs for a while. While those knives are excellent, if we are looking at empirical loss to the company, it is very hard to argue that the Spyderfly wasn't the most painful business decision, and even then it is very hard to blame the company for how the dumb laws were stretched to give them a pointless spanking.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:Show me a Spyderco flop and I'll show you a discontinued knife with a cult following. ;)
That's right on the money there SURF because I can show you just about any discontinued model that didn't sell well especially from the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS 1998-2003 and can assure everyone that the demand would be high on the following models: the TOAD, The SPOT, The KUMO and the VESUVIUS models all didn't do well sales-wise but now I'm willing to bet that if you put all or any of them up for auction you would have virtual bid wars on every one of them.

I remember when the IMPALA was in the main line up back in 04 & 05 you could get those in trade or for sale for a song>> but try to even find one of them now>> much less the fact you're going to pay dearly for one if you even can find one. I can name at least 8 to 10 more obscure past Spyderco models that didn't sell well while in the main line up but virtually all of them would bring you a nice price now.

Again Spyders are like fine wine>> they just get better with age.