Spyderco flops

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Re: Spyderco flops

Post by JAfromMN »

No such thing as a spyderco flop. Only misunderstood knives
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Hard to state a knife as a flop. There's always a niche; I for one love my Captain and Kumo!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
endgame

Post by endgame »

I would love a sprint captain with titanium or cf scales h1 steel spyderedge or se and flipper
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The last sprint of the Jot Singh has not sold many as have the sprint Dyad.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I haven't seen any of these so called flops, I like to think of them as unique, just not for everyone, I have purchased some that I thought I would like more than I actually do but theyre all servicable.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I don't think they have had any "flops". Sure they have put knives into production that didn't sell very well or raised a few eyebrows but I'd guess that no one at Spyderco was surprised either, possibly a bit disappointed but not shocked that something like the Gunting didn't sell better than Enduras. Spyderco is known for having the stones to put "interesting" knives (and steels) into production with, I am sure, full knowledge that they might not sell very well - it is part of their passion for knives and I respect that a lot.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

endgame wrote:I would love a sprint captain with titanium or cf scales h1 steel spyderedge or se and flipper
Yes please....... :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

To me a knife that is not popular is not a flop but a challenge to do it as a company. I consider flops knives that are badly made and then I only can think of 1 that would fit in this definition and its the current vesion of the Starmate. It's not what I'm used of in a Spyderco knife, too many flaws.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Just for the record:i was not trying to put Spyderco down in any way.I am a Spyderco fan.I think its the best knife company on the market,and some of their products are better then some custom knives going for 1000$.But i am not a Spyderco fan-Boy,and i think every person makes mistakes and every company makes Flops,from time to time,which is perfectly fine.
And with that being said,the Battlestation is another indispensable knife for any klingon who wants to stroll the mall ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
dialex

Post by dialex »

The Spyderco Bi-Fold, perhaps?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I love Spyderco for the fact that they are willing to take risks on experimenting and are always doing inventive stuff.
For how much weird things they've done I guess it's strange to see so little things really flopped. ;)
I agree that the T-Mag was a real shame, it looked so perfect and then when I held it turned to hardly have a lock, or a detent..
(shapewise it was really good though)
The Vagabond is a great user I believe especially for slightly less fanatical knife people to just toss in the bag and have around, shame it didn't do well commercially but a really cool design non the less.
(am a proud owner but never use it, always already something else to use in the pocket or a bigger fixed blade in the bag)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I really wanted a new Starmate when the sprint was announced a few years ago. The execution was not great on the one I handled, which confirmed the reviews I had read, so I lost interest. Things like poor tang finish, sloppy grind lines, rattling lanyard tube. It was a pity because I really liked the original.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Show me a Spyderco flop and I'll show you a discontinued knife with a cult following. ;)
brj

Post by brj »

Joris Mo wrote:I love Spyderco for the fact that they are willing to take risks on experimenting and are always doing inventive stuff.
For how much weird things they've done I guess it's strange to see so little things really flopped. ;)
Same here, the 'flops' are one of the main reasons I love Spyderco and their 'swashbuckling' attitude of let's do it just because we can :) .
Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I have (and carry/use quite regularly) a lot of the above mentioned models that are 'different', like the D2 PM1 sprint, or Bi-fold, or even the JaniSong. Heck, I even use my T-Mag from time to time (I've had no issues so far).
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yea they need a captain in h1.the "s" was a flop but that knife has a story with me.first I just love it great lightweight "hipster" edc.pluss it was my gateway knife into spyderco..the polywog was,a flop I think but it goes for bank.I have both the ss and g10 sprint run.I love it but it feels very bulky in my pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One interesting item to consider as to how things can change dramatically>> take the original, early 2000s C-60 Ayoob model in Spyderedge >> I was told by a reliable source that Spyderco had many of them left over. I was also told that Massad Ayoob and his ex-wife also had a lot of Spyderedged C-60 models. Which tells me that the knife was truly a "let-down" at the box office so to speak.

But right now I would like to see what a guy could trade a NIB C-60 SE Ayoob model :rolleyes: You could pull off some astonishing trades with a new, mint SE Ayoob I have no doubt. I'm also sure if you put one up for bid on one of the auction sites or one of the knife forums you could demand a nice chunk of change for one now I'm sure of it. But during the time of it's production I heard that they had a lot of models that just wouldn't sell for whatever reason :confused: .

My point being is that many of your old Spyders are like fruit on a vine>> some of them just take time to ripen ;) The C-60 Ayoob sure isn't the only one either>> I could list at least 10 models that went through the same progression of popularity.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Interesting discussion... some I agree with, some I don't.

Many models mentioned here I thoroughly enjoy, haha!

Kind of a related question; whatever happened to the Rookie? Did that one flop?
Going back to Caly.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

What's wrong with the T Mag? I own one and love it. It's amazing how smooth it is, and it's made with carbon fiber, titanium, and S30V. The "Detent" is definitely weak, but if carried properly, it doesn't open in your pocket. It's a pretty cool knife! I know they didn't sell well, but I wonder why people disliked it so much.

Matt
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would think the Lil Matriarch did not live up to the sales potential it could have been. I had big plans to grab one and never did and I think many fell into the same trap
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:I would think the Lil Matriarch did not live up to the sales potential it could have been. I had big plans to grab one and never did and I think many fell into the same trap

Nah, that one is full on win. I often consider purchasing a second just in case if they become some full disco coveted $$ knife and I'd never be able to find another user in the future.

Which brings up something to consider here - are we talking sales volume "flops", here, or just sub-par functional "flops"? Two very different criteria...
Going back to Caly.