Do you or have you ever edc'd a fixed blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: Do you or have you ever edc'd a fixed blade

Post by Blerv »

I would love to pocket-sheath a Street Beat. Darn carry laws in my area spoil all the fun tho. :(
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've tried various FB's over the years, but none stuck. Street Beat, Swicks, Izulas, Street Bowie and some I'm forgetting.

To me than advantages aren't worth the bulkiness, weight, difficulty of carry and blade length compromises I have to make in comparison to something like a Pacific Salt or Military. It's so easy to clip a folder to the waistband of my basketball shorts and forget its there. FB's tend to get in the way more and stick out like a sore thumb. Unless you conceal it...which is illegal here AFAIK.

I love the ergos and balance of the street beat in particular, but the Military is so much easier to pocket and has a longer cutting edge.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

The Deacon wrote:No.

I've carried one while hunting and while fishing and at one time I kept on in my car for "emergency deer processing", but can't recall ever carrying one "around town".

Same here, hunting and fishing is about all the experience and use I have for a fixed myself. I do keep a small hacksaw in my truck for the off chance I find a big buck in the ditch :)
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Of course I love all the Spyderco fixed blades....but some are just so expensive, and for me, the sheath is the deciding factor....
I want a Proficient, they are beautiful....but not sure I would or could bring myself to use it like the Esee 3 I carry in uniform. Sits high and comfortable on my belt, size is good. Love the sheath. Not too intimidating to most folks...
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I find the usual Kydex and G clip to be bulky and have experimented a little with more compact stuff IWB under shirttail and a bit in cargo pocket for yard and woods but haven't stuck with anything yet. I'm trying to come up with a compact way to attach the sheath. Have a Canadian spyderbro who carries small custom fixies every day at work in a large city.

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Sometimes I carry a BK24 with KaBar scales in custom kydex horizontally on my belt, with the handle over my buckle, around town. Can only carry a "pocket knife" according to company policy so I stick to d'fly or delica at work.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Super-duper illegal here in California. I've got a machete in my car though.
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

I have picked up a couple of small fixed EDC's lately and am looking for a good carry method. I have a small FB in my bag, but the swick looks like it may be a good option. Living in a big city has it's challenges carrying a fixed blade.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I carry a fixed blade fairly often; most often a Moran or Morakniv for EDC tasks. Used to carry a A G Russell Bird and Trout around my neck years ago. Just ordered a Ronin 2, and am looking forwards to carrying a fixed blade SD knife. Have also enjoyed the Aqua and Rock salts.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

clovisc wrote:I carry a fixed blade fairly often; most often a Moran or Morakniv for EDC tasks. Used to carry a A G Russell Bird and Trout around my neck years ago. Just ordered a Ronin 2, and am looking forwards to carrying a fixed blade SD knife. Have also enjoyed the Aqua and Rock salts.
Good to see you around again. It's been a while! :cool:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com