Jess Horn Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Jess Horn Lightweight

Post by Halfneck »

Lately I have been carrying my Benchmade 531 over my Spyderco Delica. Both are lightweight, scalpel sharp, but the Benchmade 531 is slimmer. A lot of that has to do with the Spyderco Delica blade being taller due to the opening hole. The Delica is more comfortable in hand, but I just haven't been carrying it as much compared to the Benchmade 531. While I understand that Spyderco folders will be taller due to the opening hole, I also recall the Jess Horn Lightweight I use to own. I'd really like to see the Jess Horn Lightweight brought back, but with the flat grind on it like the A.G. Russell versions. I'd also like it kept simple to keep the price down. VG-10 steel, FRN, maybe, just maybe micarta or G10 scales.

Most of my knife needs lately just involve opening the mail, cutting a loose string, or opening a package. The heavy duty folders I carried in my younger years as a soldier are overkill for my needs. Heck I've even gone retro and gotten back into slipjoints like I carried as a kid. Carrying an old jackknife on a daily basis will really get you looking at modern folders in a different light. A lot smaller in size, slimmer blades, and simpler steels. But they get most of my daily knife needs accomplished, and they are easy to get a scary sharp edge on. The prototype flippers I saw at BLADE are something I hope comes about - just hopefully not in super steels & fancy materials that come with a high price. The Kiwi 4 is nice too.

Well enough rambling - bring back the Jess Horn Lightweight :D
SpyderNut

Re: Jess Horn Lightweight

Post by SpyderNut »

I completely agree, Halfneck. In fact, I believe there was a thread fairly recently about this very subject (regarding a re-birth of the Jess Horn lightweight).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm in the rally for super blue on this one.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yes Sir ! ZDP189 please.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I'd also like it kept simple to keep the price down. VG-10 steel, FRN, maybe, just maybe micarta or G10 scales.

The prototype flippers I saw at BLADE are something I hope comes about - just hopefully not in super steels & fancy materials that come with a high price. The Kiwi 4 is nice too.

I definitely agree. Fortunately, Spyderco is hasn't forgotten about the working-class dogs. How about a Jess Horn lightweight for us and sprint runs for the people who want more zoot.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think a FFG version of the C38 Jess Horn, without a swedge grind, would be a nice looking knife.

Personally, if I wanted a narrow, lightweight Spyderco with a 3" FFG blade, I'd go with the Kiwi 4. At 1.9 oz it's only .15 heavier than the C38 Jess Horn Lightweight's 1.75 oz and, although I'll concede that a FFG blade might lower the Jess Horn's weight slightly, we're still talking fractions of an ounce difference.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'd be in for a flat ground Jess Horn lightweight, but I'd also be in for something more sexy - I have an Al Mar Falcon (bolstered and Cocobolo) in my pocket today - that with a spyderhole is pretty much the the Jess Horn I'd really like to see. Deacon will like it too 'cos there's no pocket clip or exposed pins, screws or pivots spoiling the bolster ;)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'd be in for a lightweight!

edit -or 2 or 3.. ;)
Last edited by Joris Mo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Jess Horn LW would, IMHO fill a gap that is currently in Spyderco's lineup--ie, a pointy, low profile (edge to spine) slicer with a bit of belly.

Paul's suggestion to offer it in FFG would only make a great design even greater.

Jess Horn's Spyderco collabs., much like the Kiwi 4, minimize the SpyderHole "hump" by blending it into the spine.

HAP-40 & Burnt Orange handles would be a great combo to re-introduce this unique classic.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Deacon - I seriously looked at the Kiwi 4. It definitely fits a lot of what I was looking for. The deal breaker was the choil, and of course money being tight doesn't help either. Comparing the Kiwi 4 to my Benchmade 531 I just liked the in-hand feel of the 531 better. A FFG on the Jess Horn would really make this knife shine in my opinion. Slim, pointy, and scalpel sharp for your day to day needs.

paladin - I really like the idea of a HAP-40 and burnt orange version.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

let's add some pics...

WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

And here's the burgundy version with a laminated ZDP189 blade

MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

And a size comparison of the C34 with the Viele and the Zowada, the C34 and the C38 have the same length.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Beautiful pics guys, this model has eluded me so far but it looks like I really need to change that! In regard to the OP's desire for a slim Spydie, how does the Memory strike you? F&F are great on these guys and they take up minimal pocket space. Also, how about the Horn versus the JD Smith? Also a very slim option...

MarcusH could you possibly post a comparison pic of the JD Smith and the Jess Horn? Thanks much, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Jess Horn Lightweight is slimmer than the JD Smith.

Oh and as long as I'm being nit-picky, I'd like a different FRN texture than the repetitive "Jess Horn" text. Always liked the fishscale texture on the Caly Jr.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Beautiful pics guys, this model has eluded me so far but it looks like I really need to change that! In regard to the OP's desire for a slim Spydie, how does the Memory strike you? F&F are great on these guys and they take up minimal pocket space. Also, how about the Horn versus the JD Smith? Also a very slim option...

MarcusH could you possibly post a comparison pic of the JD Smith and the Jess Horn? Thanks much, Radioactive :)
I'm not Marcus and my photos aren't nearly as good as his but here is a comparison of the Jess Horn vs JD Smith vs Memory

I got a close out Memory after Deacon's comments in my found in Tokyo thread ... it is a very slim, comfortable carry and I might get used to the blue but the three screw holes on the non presentation side really spoil it for me. I really think that just a bit more effort could have resulted in a more visually appealing finish - I'm nit picking but its the difference between a good knife and a great knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Halfneck wrote:The Deacon - I seriously looked at the Kiwi 4. It definitely fits a lot of what I was looking for. The deal breaker was the choil, and of course money being tight doesn't help either. Comparing the Kiwi 4 to my Benchmade 531 I just liked the in-hand feel of the 531 better. A FFG on the Jess Horn would really make this knife shine in my opinion. Slim, pointy, and scalpel sharp for your day to day needs.

Another prime example of different strokes for different folks. I'll take a model with a 50/50 choil over one without it every time and one with a Spyderhole over one with any other opener equally often.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I don't mind the original Jess Horn FRN pattern but I am all for putting the fish scale pattern on any FRN. ;)
I would like this blade with a flat grind as long as the bladestock would be thick enough that it wouldn't make the tip too fragile but I also really like the original grind with it's specific grind lines which in a way are also an important part of the design.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

To **** with FRN bring it back in unlined micarta. With a ffg blade it would still be very lightweight and classy. Also bring back that micarta JD Smith in FFG as well. It's a pipe dream i know but still a dream.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Deacon wrote:
Halfneck wrote:The Deacon - I seriously looked at the Kiwi 4. It definitely fits a lot of what I was looking for. The deal breaker was the choil, and of course money being tight doesn't help either. Comparing the Kiwi 4 to my Benchmade 531 I just liked the in-hand feel of the 531 better. A FFG on the Jess Horn would really make this knife shine in my opinion. Slim, pointy, and scalpel sharp for your day to day needs.

Another prime example of different strokes for different folks. I'll take a model with a 50/50 choil over one without it every time and one with a Spyderhole over one with any other opener equally often.
Yup indeed, I pretty much see eye to eye with you on most things Spyderco - other than choil preference. Prefer Spyderhole opening too.

Joris Mo - FFG would not make the tip too fragile, unless you got silly with it. The EDC role of a FFG Jess Horn Lightweight would be very different from say the Spyderco Tuff.