I need some thread closure

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Re: I need some thread closure

Post by TazKristi »

I'm not going to mention any issue specifically, but I will say this much. You would be surprised (or perhaps not) at the number of times we say "send it in" and we never receive anything. Even if Sal or I say send it directly to one of us - we never receive anything. I struggle particularly with complaints about W&R. No one in this building is perfect. No one claims to be. We've made mistakes and we try are best to own those mistakes and learn from them. I cannot begin to describe though the number of times I've investigated a complaint against us to find out (relatively easily) that the information posted is either false or missing key details that paint a completely different picture of the issue, the chain of events or both. We do not like to embarrass anyone, but (and I'm sure some of you have seen me do it) I can't sit back and allow someone to speak poorly of a member of our crew when I know what's being said isn't true.

I'll hop off my soapbox now and close with... please always know that we will do our measured best to do what is right and fair. Every situation is different and we treat each issue/knife/customer individually. We don't have any cookie cutters in the building and I hope we never do. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TazKristi wrote:I'm not going to mention any issue specifically, but I will say this much. You would be surprised (or perhaps not) at the number of times we say "send it in" and we never receive anything. Even if Sal or I say send it directly to one of us - we never receive anything. I struggle particularly with complaints about W&R. No one in this building is perfect. No one claims to be. We've made mistakes and we try are best to own those mistakes and learn from them. I cannot begin to describe though the number of times I've investigated a complaint against us to find out (relatively easily) that the information posted is either false or missing key details that paint a completely different picture of the issue, the chain of events or both. We do not like to embarrass anyone, but (and I'm sure some of you have seen me do it) I can't sit back and allow someone to speak poorly of a member of our crew when I know what's being said isn't true.

I'll hop off my soapbox now and close with... please always know that we will do our measured best to do what is right and fair. Every situation is different and we treat each issue/knife/customer individually. We don't have any cookie cutters in the building and I hope we never do. ;)

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Jim
swigert

Post by swigert »

TazKristi wrote:I'm not going to mention any issue specifically, but I will say this much. You would be surprised (or perhaps not) at the number of times we say "send it in" and we never receive anything. Even if Sal or I say send it directly to one of us - we never receive anything. I struggle particularly with complaints about W&R. No one in this building is perfect. No one claims to be. We've made mistakes and we try are best to own those mistakes and learn from them. I cannot begin to describe though the number of times I've investigated a complaint against us to find out (relatively easily) that the information posted is either false or missing key details that paint a completely different picture of the issue, the chain of events or both. We do not like to embarrass anyone, but (and I'm sure some of you have seen me do it) I can't sit back and allow someone to speak poorly of a member of our crew when I know what's being said isn't true.

Kristi

Not surprising in any way.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

A lot of the biggest issues and the very loudest customers would be the ones that would bring back an empty container saying the product was bad, had an issue etc.

Would be the equal of Spyderco getting an empty box back as an example.

And the customer would want either their money back or new product.

The answer was NO 99.98% of the time.

The prior management had a bad history of giving things away etc. so it took a while to break the customers of trying to get over.

Was ugly there for awhile, but over time it stopped completely.

Had more than a few customers arrested and taken out in handcuffs.....
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kristi
Yes, this is exactly what I suspected is happening. I'm 100% for airing out problems with QC and voicing concerns, and I especially love that Spyderco are so committed to making things right that they're open to having those issues aired out right here on a public forum. BUT, I'm not ok with throwing a fit about a "problem" and getting everyone worked up about it, and sending out crazy negative opinions and thoughts about a knife when nothing is ever done to get to the root of the problem. All we end up with is a huge thread of assumptions and people form opinions based off one person's experiences that may or may not even be the knife's fault.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Kristi
That is very sad, yet not too surprising. :( I work in an occupation that generally deals with unhappy customers. It continues to surprise the heck out of me as to the number of people who continue to gripe and carry on about their issue EVEN AFTER THE ISSUE(S) HAVE BEEN RESOLVED. :confused: Sigh. :rolleyes: We live in some crazy times...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:

Kristi
Yes, this is exactly what I suspected is happening. I'm 100% for airing out problems with QC and voicing concerns, and I especially love that Spyderco are so committed to making things right that they're open to having those issues aired out right here on a public forum. BUT, I'm not ok with throwing a fit about a "problem" and getting everyone worked up about it, and sending out crazy negative opinions and thoughts about a knife when nothing is ever done to get to the root of the problem. All we end up with is a huge thread of assumptions and people form opinions based off one person's experiences that may or may not even be the knife's fault.
One of the reasons why a lot of people want to see pictures, and good ones.

To see if they actually own the knife in the 1st place and aren't just a troll etc.

To see if there is a problem and or if they called CS before posting a thread on a public forum.

Usually not much of a problem on this forum here, but on others some have gotten busted over the years trolling etc.

More so on the more expensive knife models than on the less expensive ones.
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I think in some cases, if Spyderco goes above and beyond for them, they don't want to talk about it, I know for example if I ever sent in a knife I broke, and they fixed it anyway, I would be afraid mentioning it would cause people to abuse the warranty.

Or alternatively they were not satisfied with the outcome, but accepted it, so they just didn't post about it further.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderNut wrote:

Kristi
That is very sad, yet not too surprising. :( I work in an occupation that generally deals with unhappy customers. It continues to surprise the heck out of me as to the number of people who continue to gripe and carry on about their issue EVEN AFTER THE ISSUE(S) HAVE BEEN RESOLVED. :confused: Sigh. :rolleyes: We live in some crazy times...
Call center?

Oh Lord..... Been there, done that, got as drawer full of tee-shirts.

I got plenty of horror stories.....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It still baffles me why you would get on the forum if your knife is broke instead of contacting Spyderco directly if your genuine goal is to resolve your problem. It should be no surprise that these same people either don't follow through with sending their knife in or don't respond to their initial thread with their resolution or lack of resolution. I guess that if anything happened besides them giving up or getting it resolved we would know because the thread wouldn't die. :rolleyes:

I guess I will never know what happened to that Southard. :confused:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TazKristi wrote:... I'll hop off my soapbox now and close with... please always know that we will do our measured best to do what is right and fair. Every situation is different and we treat each issue/knife/customer individually. We don't have any cookie cutters in the building and I hope we never do. ;)

Kristi
Hi guys and especially Kristi,

This thread has been an interesting read for sure, and I have now written several versions of my post. I will say that Spyderco goes so far above and beyond its commitment to customer service as to make other companies and industries seriously pale in comparison. I had the pleasure (?) of visiting the Apple store at Apple HQ itself today (1 Infinite Loop), and I was not so impressed with my interactions there, but that's another story. They certainly have a lot they could learn from the folks at 820 Spyderco Way.

I've received emails from Kristi several times helping me out with my random questions, and I drove her a bit batty on the phone one day calling about 4-5 times in a row with replacement clip and screw questions, and she was patient and courteous to me each and every time (although I suspect my phone number might be blocked now ;)). I have even received an email or two from Sal himself, and I always generally come away feeling very pleased with the interactions with all my interactions with the Spydercrew. It seems that at least the members who post here frequently do indeed follow up and report on their interactions, and I'm thinking of Harley's Southard as a recent example... The folks that get us riled up are ones that log on here for the first time just to gripe about something and then disappear. I guess there's nothing you can do about that...

I was first going to simply respond that there are indeed some pretty fierce "cookie cutters" that come in all kinds of steels in that Golden facility ;) plus to thank Kristi and Sal (and the others) again both for reading these threads and taking the time to respond to them. Sorry I rambled on about everything else! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

They used to say if a customer was happy he'd tell one person. If he was unhappy he'd tell 100 people. Now if he's unhappy he gets on the Internet and tells the whole freaking planet.

Can you believe there are still people who don't understand why I don't like people?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:They used to say if a customer was happy he'd tell one person. If he was unhappy he'd tell 100 people. Now if he's unhappy he gets on the Internet and tells the whole freaking planet.

Can you believe there are still people who don't understand why I don't like people?
Lol. As the old saying goes, "The more I'm around people, the more I like my dog." ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'm glad around here with good people ;)

I have exchanged email with Sal, and in another occasion contacted Charlynn about screws. There's always closure.

One of the reason I'm getting another Endura :spyder: :cool:
Chris :spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

yablanowitz wrote:Can you believe there are still people who don't understand why I don't like people?
"People. They're the worst." -Seinfeld
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Radioactive,
Thank you for your very kind words. I just want to clarify one thing though... the person you spoke to on the phone wasn't me. That was Christy in SFO. A lot of people mistakenly think that she is me, but she is most definitely an exceptionally awesome, but different, Christy. I never want to take credit from her because she does a great job and she tends to be sweeter than me. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Spyderco is honestly a great company.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TazKristi wrote:Radioactive,
Thank you for your very kind words. I just want to clarify one thing though... the person you spoke to on the phone wasn't me. That was Christy in SFO. A lot of people mistakenly think that she is me, but she is most definitely an exceptionally awesome, but different, Christy. I never want to take credit from her because she does a great job and she tends to be sweeter than me. ;)

Kristi
Oops, thank you very much for the clarification Kristi! To Christy, my many thanks again for tolerating us irritating customers ;) and thank you Kristi for responding to my emails! The Crew in Golden rock! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

How we gonna get closure from this thread about lack of closure in threads with no closure to complaints?!
Ahhhh, the neverending cycle!! :p
Going back to Caly.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I have contacted management of several different companies to comment on good service that one of their employees had provided me. A friend who made a career in retail management told me that positive comments from customers were rare and taken very seriously.