Mule Team MT01 52100 - Help With Scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
kjd2121

Mule Team MT01 52100 - Help With Scales

Post by kjd2121 »

Hi,

I recently purchased a MT01 and MT03. I ordered some scales (#5) from Halpern Titanium and received them today. I got a pair attached to the MT03 no problem. The problem lies with the MT01 - The knife holes are too small. Looks like I need to ream them out to 3/8". I am not well versed with steel and need some advice. Where do I get a carbide bit ( I assume this is what I need?) locally so I can get these scales fitted today? What else should I look out for?

Thanks for the help. Here are a few photos of the MT03 scales (Brown)

Raw Scales:

After an application of mineral oil:

Bodog

Re: Mule Team MT01 52100 - Help With Scales

Post by Bodog »

http://muleprojects.blogspot.com/2009/10/4.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

You may not be able to find that locally. KnifeKits.com sells carbide spade bits, which will work if you use them carefully. I was able to enlarge the holes with that bit. I smoked everything else I tried, literally.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If the amount of reaming needed is small, you might use a slim mounted stone on a Dremel tool.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been meaning to drill mine out forever. I made some hokey wood scales for it that work well enough for kitchen duty. I drilled out one hole with a cheap dewalt drill bit and while it appeared to go well the drill bit was toasted when I tried to drill the second hole. We have a silly tool room at work and if I wasn't so lazy I would just bring it to work and have them take care of it. Someday. My S110V mule gets all the love anyway. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?