Lets see your oldest Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Lets see your oldest Spydie

Post by yablanowitz »

AUS-8 is generally run a bit harder and has better wear resistance than AUS-6. I always wondered why they would use AUS-6 on a big, heavy knife like the Endura II. I seriously doubt what you have would classify as a warranty issue, but they can at least sharpen it. It shouldn't be more than the $5.00 return mail fee unless you have really trashed the edge through improper sharpening and/or abuse.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My oldest Spydies are currently a D2 Para1 and a Centofante4. Not as old as you are looking for, probably both from 2008.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

yablanowitz wrote:AUS-8 is generally run a bit harder and has better wear resistance than AUS-6. I always wondered why they would use AUS-6 on a big, heavy knife like the Endura II. I seriously doubt what you have would classify as a warranty issue, but they can at least sharpen it. It shouldn't be more than the $5.00 return mail fee unless you have really trashed the edge through improper sharpening and/or abuse.
Yeah there are chunks out of the SE portion of the blade. I am sure it is something I did wrong In my younger years.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

Not sure if my oldest is this thin clip PE Delica:Image

Or these(I have 3) LBK (aka ladybugs) in ultra rare blister packs: A couple interesting things about these... the words Lady Bug do not appear anywhere in the package. Also notice where it says "the perfect first knife for ages 7 and older"... amazing how 20+ years later no manufacturer would dare recommend a real knife for a child that young(which is a pity)... instead the same recommendation for ages 7 and up is now on the wooden dragonfly kit.

If you have a similar blister pack or any info regarding them I'd appreciate it. I'm mostly curious as to where the fit on the timeline. Sal told me the they released some as LBK rather than LadyBug because the sales manager didn't think the military customers would like the LadyBug name. When, how many, and for how long is still a mystery to me. I was also told by someone at Spyderco that the packaging may have been a special custom order for a customer, but all records from that far back are in mothballs so she didn't know for sure. At any rate these three are the only examples of this packaging for ladybugs that I have seen to date... and I have scoured the net looking. I have seen a Delica with similar packaging.

I'd love to get a early 1st gen Worker... so much innovation, and so many 1sts.... one of the most important knives in folder history. Hopefully one day my oldest Spydie will be THE oldest Spydie.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

My oldest Spydie is the C15 Bob Terzuola...G-10 handle,ATS-34 steel, made in Golden.
endgame

Post by endgame »

:cool:
JAfromMN wrote:Id have to guess my old pegausus
I love this blade nice score
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

This should be from aroung 1989 and I think it my oldest Spyderco, it's certainly my smallest :)

3001 Mini Mariner

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

endgame wrote::cool:
JAfromMN wrote:Id have to guess my old pegausus
I love this blade nice score
it gets Even better.

It was a gift.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would also kind of like to see some of Spyderco's older sharpening tools>> I'm hoping that someone besides myself has one of the older GALLEY V Sharpening kits>> as well as some of the early Sharpmakers like the 203 & 202. To me it's interesting to see all of the product evolution that Spyderco has undergone.

Also the Solo, G-Sakai and Moki models from Spyderco's early inception would be interesting to look at as well.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

awa54 wrote:The Solo is only a quasi-Spyderco, but it's a few years older than the SS ATS-55 Dragonfly
This leads me to a question (no intent to hijack, thought readers of this thread would be best able answer) ... how old are the Solo models?

I have a G-10 pushbutton lock Solo (SO05?), and have wondered how old it is ... thanks.

I'll post a pic later today.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

JD Smith ATS-34 SE from 1999-2000

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Fun thread! Surprised it isn't seeing more love. There's gotta be more users on here with some other classic gems to add!

Here's most of my oldies. I don't actually know which is technically the oldest...

I still carry and use most of them, except the Terzuola which the liner lock has gone all they way across the blade and has massive play, and the Scorpius and SS Jester, because I don't really enjoy SS handles.
Also have an old Salsa as well, but it too is blown out with massive play so it just sits in a random drawer...
Going back to Caly.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Still not the oldest I've had but it's my new current oldest spydie

Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Far from being my oldest Spydie, but today was the day to celebrate my forth Starmate.
Old love never dies...

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Beautiful photo, as always! Love the Starmate.
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:JD Smith ATS-34 SE from 1999-2000

I don't know whether the JD Smith or the C-54 big Calypso model was Spyderco's first Micarta folder or not.

But both models are truly beautiful designs and both are in my personal top 10 and have been for some time.

Unfortunately Spyderco seems to be trending away from Micarta handles :( But they do seem to be doing more titanium handles which is a big plus IMO.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote: I don't know whether the JD Smith or the C-54 big Calypso model was Spyderco's first Micarta folder or not.
Unfortunately Spyderco seems to be trending away from Micarta handles :(
I'm also a big Micarta fan as you probably know, Joe. :)
It's a shame that they don't make knives like this anymore.
AFAIR the first Micarta folders in chronological order were the Goddards, then the C34 Horn II and then the AUS-8 Viele followed by the C40 Khalsa and the C39 Mini Dyad.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I don't know whether the JD Smith or the C-54 big Calypso model was Spyderco's first Micarta folder or not.
Unfortunately Spyderco seems to be trending away from Micarta handles :(
I'm also a big Micarta fan as you probably know, Joe. :)
It's a shame that they don't make knives like this anymore.
AFAIR the first Micarta folders in chronological order were the Goddards, then the C34 Horn II and then the AUS-8 Viele followed by the C40 Khalsa and the C39 Mini Dyad.
Yeah I forgot all about the "Jot Singh Khalsa" C-40 model being made before the two models I mentioned :o It's really embarrassing too because I owned three of those Khalsa :rolleyes: Also there was the White Micarta Jess Horn model and I'm not so sure that the big C-44 Dyad didn't come first as well :o

Well it sure makes for great collectibles and I can guarantee they will all be fetching huge prices at some point if none of the newer models ever get Micarta handles ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I forgot all about the "Jot Singh Khalsa" C-40 model being made before the two models I mentioned :o It's really embarrassing too because I owned three of those Khalsa :rolleyes: Also there was the White Micarta Jess Horn model and I'm not so sure that the big C-44 Dyad didn't come first as well :o

Well it sure makes for great collectibles and I can guarantee they will all be fetching huge prices at some point if none of the newer models ever get Micarta handles ;)
Definitely not an "if" question there JD! Nearly all the older Micarta Spydies fetch huge prices these days. :eek: :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King