Spyderedge Sprint Runs? New Blade Steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Spyderedge Sprint Runs? New Blade Steels?

Post by twinboysdad »

Cruwear SE PM2 run about 500 and then do 1000 in PE. We all know there will be none left of either! Oh and grey G10 like the other Cru models please
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love a serrated sprint simply to change things up. Not partially serrated mind you but the whole thing :D.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Blerv wrote:I would love a serrated sprint simply to change things up. Not partially serrated mind you but the whole thing :D.
Agree with ^^^^^this^^^^^ 100%

I always thought the FULL SpyderEdge "looks" best on the C50 Cento II, the C58 J D Smith, & the C54 Calypso...

And, in my experience, the SE "works" best on the various Hawkbilled & Reverse-S models, & the C36 Millie....

I'd buy one....at least ;) :o
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Didn't Sal mention over at BF that there's a sprint g10 harpy in the works?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:
Blerv wrote:I would love a serrated sprint simply to change things up. Not partially serrated mind you but the whole thing :D.
Agree with ^^^^^this^^^^^ 100%

I always thought the FULL SpyderEdge "looks" best on the C50 Cento II, the C58 J D Smith, & the C54 Calypso...

And, in my experience, the SE "works" best on the various Hawkbilled & Reverse-S models, & the C36 Millie.... :o
Paladin we must be kin to each other :D Those three you've mentioned are three of my all time favorites out of the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS :cool:

I just recently aquired an SE version of the JD Smith and I can't quit looking at it. I've owned all three of those at one time and you're so right about the C-54 absolutely looks regal in full Spyderedge>> the C-54 in my humble opinion is one of Spyderco's absolute best In HOUSE designs. I was heartbroken when Sal chimed in on a thread about 6 months ago and said that all of the tooling for the C-50 was long gone and there was no chance of a Sprint Run :(

You're so right about serrations on Hawkbills and Reverse S blades>> because Spyderedged blades on those two are far more useful than their plain edged counterparts. The C-36 Military model I had in 440V, full SE is one of five Spyders that I traded where I later deeply regretted it. But again those three models you mentioned are truly Hall Of Fame Spyders to be sure :cool:
paladin

Post by paladin »

J.D. -- it is pretty uncanny how similar we think sometimes... :confused:

Say....your Dad wasn't a traveling salesman with a circuit thru Tennessee in the 1960's, was he? ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:J.D. -- it is pretty uncanny how similar we think sometimes... :confused:

Say....your Dad wasn't a traveling salesman with a circuit thru Tennessee in the 1960's, was he? ;)
Well it's like this Brother if you also like the C-60 Ayoob, The Zowada, and the Temperance 1 fixed blade and like them all in Spyderedge then I know for sure we are hooked up to the same blood line :D

I would love to see the Ayoob in full SE with XHP, The C-54 Calypso in M390 in full SE and the Temp 1 in S90V in full SE. Not only great Spyderredged Sprint Runs and also make them highly collectible with very exotic blade steels. Different handle materials would be nice to consider as well.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The reason I bought a spyderco in the first place was there serrated blades. Almost every model came I'm plane serrated or partly serrated.

I'm a little disappointed that so many knives are not offered in serrated edge. It really sucks for me.

I like my spyders with teeth. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:The reason I bought a spyderco in the first place was there serrated blades. Almost every model came I'm plane serrated or partly serrated.

I'm a little disappointed that so many knives are not offered in serrated edge. It really sucks for me.

And you must be kin to my good buddy SPYDUTCH who has been here a long time :D He's the one that really got me to take a very serious look at what Spyderedges are capable of. My first Spyder was also one with teeth>> back in 1995 at a local gun show I got a Spyderco GIN-1 Mariner model SE. I had never owned a serrated pocket knife before that and of all the serrated knives I had ever used or owned I had never had anything cut like that Mariner did.

There was a time that virtually every model that Spyderco made they offered a serrated version as well as a plain edged version. What's blowing my mind is that even their models that are made for marine/fishing uses like the TUSK model for instance isn't even available in SE :confused: But if demand increases I'm sure they will be willing to meet the demand.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Didn't Sal mention over at BF that there's a sprint g10 harpy in the works?
Yes he did and that was back around mid summer and I do remember that as well>> and believe me I'll be picking up pop cans if that's what it takes to get me another G-10 Harpy. Yeah I remember that thread he mentioned that on. I do hope that they offer it up in PE & SE both>> that will make one great set of collectibles. Albeit it might just catapult the demand and hopefully the G-10 Harpy may make a comeback to the main line up like the G-10 Police model successfully did.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Image[/quote]

Hoping that if it happens on the Military and PM2 that it would be this type SE with the PE tip, currently carrying a SE Pacific Salt but I constantly want something with a plain edge with it because I need that a lot too.
(currently a nice H1 combo with ARK being the small PE)
Also really love my CE Military but I would prefer 1/3 plain edge with 2/3 serrations.

Also still hoping for some SE in Cruwear. (and more PE as well ;) )
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:
Hoping that if it happens on the Military and PM2 that it would be this type SE with the PE tip, currently carrying a SE Pacific Salt but I constantly want something with a plain edge with it because I need that a lot too.
(currently a nice H1 combo with ARK being the small PE)
Also really love my CE Military but I would prefer 1/3 plain edge with 2/3 serrations.

Also still hoping for some SE in Cruwear. (and more PE as well ;) )[/quote]

I'm glad you brought that up "Joris Mo" because I have a couple of Golden CO USA made Spyders that have that PE tip. On my 440V SE Native the PE tip in many cases is enough to get you by to where you could just carry one folder if you had to narrow it down to one EDC. With that Military model you've shown us there is definitely enough of a plain edged tip that would be capable of a lot of small cutting jobs. Spyderco has done that on quite a few models over the years. But it does seem like the GOLDEN CO USA made models have the best PE tip.

And there are a few Spyderco models and I mean very few that even do well in combo edge>> two of the models that immediately come to mind are the Endura and the older/discontinued Renegade. I've wondered if that Cruwear would be a good steel for Spyderedges but as I've mentioned before I get a good gut feeling that XHP would also make a decent blade steel for Spyderedges.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JD Spydo wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:The reason I bought a spyderco in the first place was there serrated blades. Almost every model came I'm plane serrated or partly serrated.

And you must be kin to my good buddy SPYDUTCH who has been here a long time :D He's the one that really got me to take a very serious look at what Spyderedges are capable of. My first Spyder was also one with teeth>> back in 1995 at a local gun show I got a Spyderco GIN-1 Mariner model SE. I had never owned a serrated pocket knife before that and of all the serrated knives I had ever used or owned I had never had anything cut like that Mariner did.

There was a time that virtually every model that Spyderco made they offered a serrated version as well as a plain edged version. What's blowing my mind is that even their models that are made for marine/fishing uses like the TUSK model for instance isn't even available in SE :confused: But if demand increases I'm sure they will be willing to meet the demand.

I miss the good old days.

I'm going to start a topic on this.

They got me to prefer a serrated edge and it seems they want to take them away.

I got a mini rant brewing.

I can't get the knife I want because they don't make it anymore. Sucks.

At least they haven't took my plastic fantastic knives with serrated blades "endura,deica,native,dragonfly " I didn't say stretch because I'm not sure it's offered in anything but plane edge anymore.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To "JA from MN" and others on the same page I realize that times have changed here at Spyderville. There was a time and it doesn't really seem that long ago that most of their premium models of folders were offered up in Plain Edge and Spyderedge both. But now there almost seems like an elimination process if I didn't know better :( . Truly I was literally dumbfounded when they released the TUSK model and it wasn't available in Spyderedge :confused: >> you would think that any folder or fixed blade designed for fishing and general marine usage would be offered in full SE.

Hopefully when they start to sell really good they will add the Spyderedged version of the TUSK in due time. But when it comes to Sprint Runs I still believe it's a great idea to test the market to see how they respond to certain model as well as giving the collector the opportunity to get something very unique. Just look how valuable the older Carbon Fiber Harpy must be in today's market. And with the popularity of some of these newer/better blade steels I just can't think of a better way to see what the knife buying public likes best.

I would love to see one of the SE Hawkbills in XHP

I would like to see a C-36 Military SE in Cruwear

I would like to see one of the SE fixed blades in M390
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:To "JA from MN" and others on the same page I realize that times have changed here at Spyderville. There was a time and it doesn't really seem that long ago that most of their premium models of folders were offered up in Plain Edge and Spyderedge both. But now there almost seems like an elimination process if I didn't know better :( . Truly I was literally dumbfounded when they released the TUSK model and it wasn't available in Spyderedge :confused: >> you would think that any folder or fixed blade designed for fishing and general marine usage would be offered in full SE.

Hopefully when they start to sell really good they will add the Spyderedged version of the TUSK in due time. But when it comes to Sprint Runs I still believe it's a great idea to test the market to see how they respond to certain model as well as giving the collector the opportunity to get something very unique. Just look how valuable the older Carbon Fiber Harpy must be in today's market. And with the popularity of some of these newer/better blade steels I just can't think of a better way to see what the knife buying public likes best.

I would love to see one of the SE Hawkbills in XHP

I would like to see a C-36 Military SE in Cruwear

I would like to see one of the SE fixed blades in M390
(1) You hit the proverbial nail on the head, Joe. :( I would love to see a comeback of full serrations in the Spyderco line-up (even if only offered in a few models at a time). I'll even go out on a limb here and say that there are probably currently enough spydernuts out there who would purchase full SE models to make them profitable to manufacture again. I would think a great way to test this theory would be to offer a few sprints in full SE and see how they ride. Which brings me to my second point: (2) a sprint Military in full SE--AND in Cruwear? Come on, we all know that those would sell as well as Dunkin' Donuts and coffee. ;) :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Spydernut" I'm definitely on the same page you're on. I'll go one further even>> if Spyderco would take every batch of premium models that they produce and maybe let's say they did a batch of 1000 Military models for instance then I bet they could make at least 50 out of that particular batch offered up with full Spyderedge you and I both know that a few of them, a small percentage that is would definitely sell. And think of the collector potential you could generate having just a very few in Spyderedge. That way a person who really works with Spyderedged blades in his/her occupation would be able to get one as well as serious collectors having them available.

I'm still wanting another fully serrated CAtcherman in the worst way>> I have an older AUS-8 fully serrated CAtcherman but I would like to see how one would do with a newer/better blade steel. I use my old AUS-8 Catcherman at least 3 to 4 times a week and mostly in the kitchen>> that Catcherman in full SE is a gem to work with and functional beyond belief.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I hate to say it, but this seems to me like a pipe dream. Sal has not seemed interested in SE expansion when these threads come up. I mean a SE PM 2 could be run as simple as switching the grinding switch from PE to SE. Not hopeful but would be all over one like a hobo on a ham sandwich
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:I hate to say it, but this seems to me like a pipe dream. Sal has not seemed interested in SE expansion when these threads come up. I mean a SE PM 2 could be run as simple as switching the grinding switch from PE to SE. Not hopeful but would be all over one like a hobo on a ham sandwich
Actually I respectfully and kindly disagree with you >> it hasn't been that long since Sal chatted with us over at BF and even talked to his staff about a G-10 SE Harpy. There were several people on the thread that all wanted a G-10 Harpy Sprint and he spoke favorably about it.

Also consider the fact that Spyderco is truly the king of the serrated edge and I don't see them totally abandoning what made them famous to begin with. When I first heard of Spyderco back in the mid 90s I had several of my hunting buddies tell me how awesome Spyderco's serrated blades were. My very first Spyder was a GIN-1 SE Mariner. And consider the fact that there are still a few iconic models like the Police, Endura, Harpy and Aqua Salt that I'm sure will always be available in Spyderedge. I'm actually seeing demand slowly but surely increasing. I've had at least 3 dozen people this year tell me that they would love to see the C-36 Millitary return in full Spyderedge.

I think with all the newer/better blade steels along with all of these Sprint runs it only makes sense that they would want to test the market with a Spyderedged Sprint Runs. If the G-10 Harpy comes to fruition I do believe that just might open the floodgates. And if they also do a Sprint of the Military in Spyderedge that might just change the market to some extent.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Cruwear SE Millie.

You had to know it was just a matter of time before I chimed in with this.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I definitely think we are do for an SE sprint. When i first found Spyderco, i fell in love with it, because of the teeth. It struck me as something different that (at the time), I hadn't seen any other companies do. I am deeply saddened by the lack of teeth these days. There are several models i would like to see in SE and also make a comeback. Dog tag, Dodo, Kiwi4, Tatanka, Superleaf, maybe even the leaf storm! And i definitely think an SE Memory would look and cut like a dream.