HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by awa54 »

Ryno wrote:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Any news on these sprints?
In the "casual bombshell" thread, Sal was quoted on Oct 2nd saying enduras should ship next week.
well dang, what about us Delica folks?!?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

twinboysdad wrote:Screw the lines or the clad steel scratching...it is about getting a solid slab of awesome steel. That way no matter if I choose to make a Jandura out of it or break the tip and have to grind a new one it is solid through out. Sure I can tell how HAP 40 cuts and sharpens but not how it mods or regrinds. Solid slab is just better, there is no argument

The reasoning behind laminate blades is that you get the ability to run the core steel harder than is advisable in a homogenous steel blade, yet have a blade that is not prone to snapping under side load. The Japanese seem to favor dead soft cladding so a blade bends but doesn't snap, others choose spring hardness cladding to give the blade more resilience and bend resistance. It essentially provides the benefits of differential tempering but in a process that can be mass produced.

If the HAP40 knives are coming with an upper limit hardness HT (I'm hoping!) then the laminate blade will probably be significantly more resistant to breakage, to get the same durability in straight HAP40 would likely mean lowering the final hardness by several points. I'll take the higher hardness over a solid blade any day!

To each their own though...
-David

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

awa54 wrote:
Ryno wrote:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Any news on these sprints?
In the "casual bombshell" thread, Sal was quoted on Oct 2nd saying enduras should ship next week.
well dang, what about us Delica folks?!?
Delica is suppose to be next I think.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I'm curious if there will be any real-world performance difference between hap40 and super blue. This SB delica is unbelievable.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

My understanding is that the Endura will be released first, supposedly next week.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

It's not your understanding, but what Sal wrote ;)
Nasgul wrote:
Endura's Should be shipping in the next week.

sal
Saw it on BF, dated 2nd of October 2015.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nasgul wrote:It's not your understanding, but what Sal wrote ;)
Nasgul wrote:

sal
Well yea, that's how I understood it funny guy :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bchan

Post by bchan »

Hello all, I come to this thread late, and I haven't read through all the posts in the thread, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm the correctness (or otherwise) of my understanding of the HAP40 steel:

(1) it is not stainless;
(2) the purpose of the cladding (which is another unknown material to me) is to prevent rust.

I specifically raise the question of rusting because the place where I live has high humidity. Thanks.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

farnorthdan wrote:
Nasgul wrote:It's not your understanding, but what Sal wrote ;)
Nasgul wrote:

sal
Well yea, that's how I understood it funny guy :D
;) :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

bchan wrote:Hello all, I come to this thread late, and I haven't read through all the posts in the thread, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm the correctness (or otherwise) of my understanding of the HAP40 steel:

(1) it is not stainless;
(2) the purpose of the cladding (which is another unknown material to me) is to prevent rust.

I specifically raise the question of rusting because the place where I live has high humidity. Thanks.
That's correct
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ryno wrote:
bchan wrote:Hello all, I come to this thread late, and I haven't read through all the posts in the thread, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm the correctness (or otherwise) of my understanding of the HAP40 steel:

(1) it is not stainless;

That's correct
True, but as awa54 said, it can also make for a stronger, less brittle blade with a better edge. Centuries ago the Japanese learned that if they tempered their swords to an extremely hard state they would be very brittle and break during battle. They learned to put wet clay along the top part of the blade to lessen the tempering effect and make the area under the spine stronger and more break resistant, while leaving the edge hard, for better sharpening. I think this is one type at least, of the "differential tempering" awa54 is talking about in the quote below. Cladding leaves a good bit of the blade uncovered and oxide will form on the exposed part, but in my experience this is no problem, even though I live in a humid area, and a lot of knife knuts, including me :) like to watch this patina form. The cladding helps prevent rust from forming on the tang and pivot area. The patina on Super Blue steel knives is a sort of blackish oxide which seems to be more self-limiting than the usual red rust we see on iron or steel. It remains to be seen (by me at least) how the HAP40 behaves.

awa54 wrote:
The reasoning behind laminate blades is that you get the ability to run the core steel harder than is advisable in a homogenous steel blade, yet have a blade that is not prone to snapping under side load. The Japanese seem to favor dead soft cladding so a blade bends but doesn't snap, others choose spring hardness cladding to give the blade more resilience and bend resistance. It essentially provides the benefits of differential tempering but in a process that can be mass produced.

If the HAP40 knives are coming with an upper limit hardness HT (I'm hoping!) then the laminate blade will probably be significantly more resistant to breakage, to get the same durability in straight HAP40 would likely mean lowering the final hardness by several points. I'll take the higher hardness over a solid blade any day!

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anybody get a shipping confirmation yet??
Going back to Caly.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

DougC-3 wrote:
Ryno wrote:

(1) it is not stainless;

That's correct
True, but as awa54 said, it can also make for a stronger, less brittle blade with a better edge. Centuries ago the Japanese learned that if they tempered their swords to an extremely hard state they would be very brittle and break during battle. They learned to put wet clay along the top part of the blade to lessen the tempering effect and make the area under the spine stronger and more break resistant, while leaving the edge hard, for better sharpening. I think this is one type at least, of the "differential tempering" awa54 is talking about in the quote below. Cladding leaves a good bit of the blade uncovered and oxide will form on the exposed part, but in my experience this is no problem, even though I live in a humid area, and a lot of knife knuts, including me :) like to watch this patina form. The cladding helps prevent rust from forming on the tang and pivot area. The patina on Super Blue steel knives is a sort of blackish oxide which seems to be more self-limiting than the usual red rust we see on iron or steel. It remains to be seen (by me at least) how the HAP40 behaves.

awa54 wrote:

I would like to have seen something a little harder used for the cladding. I understand why the Japanese may have used very soft cladding so sword blades bend rather than break, but a bent blade on a folder will likely mean it is no longer a folder.
Ryan

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpeedHoles wrote:Anybody get a shipping confirmation yet??
Not sure these have dropped yet, soon I hope...with a little bit of understanding :D

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Ryno wrote: I would like to have seen something a little harder used for the cladding. I understand why the Japanese may have used very soft cladding so sword blades bend rather than break, but a bent blade on a folder will likely mean it is no longer a folder.
I totally concur, something like AUS6, 420 or another medium carbon stainless that would provide a springy support to the core would make for a better "beater" blade, but the hitch is finding a cladding steel that shares enough in common with the core steel that the heat treatment would leave it spring tempered (or its max hardness would still have characteristics of resilience, without brittleness) while the core was full hardness... plus they've got to weld together in a production process and come from vendors that are available to the blade maker. I'd guess there is a pretty compelling reason that 410 was chosen, maybe it was supplier or budget related, but I'm content to take these blades as supplied, a bent blade is still better than a snapped blade in my book... if you need a real beater, then choose a different knife in a different steel, Spyderco's got you covered there!
-David

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:
Not sure these have dropped yet, soon I hope...with a little bit of understanding :D

Oh, I thought I vaguely read somewhere they were going out Oct. 2nd.... could be wrong.
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

awa54 wrote:a bent blade is still better than a snapped blade in my book... if you need a real beater, then choose a different knife in a different steel, Spyderco's got you covered there!

Just what I was thinking!
Going back to Caly.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

Oh, I thought I vaguely read somewhere they were going out Oct. 2nd.... could be wrong.
On Oct. 2nd, Sal posted on Bladeforums that the Endura will be shipping out to dealers in a week or so.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

FCM415 wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

On Oct. 2nd, Sal posted on Bladeforums that the Endura will be shipping out to dealers in a week or so.

Thanks for clarification.
Going back to Caly.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Knifeworks just opened up preorder for the Endura HAP40.