Giraffe bone kopa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Giraffe bone kopa

Post by endgame »

Why do we not have more kopas .I have 5 just got my giraffe bone and this blows any gent folder I own away .I have the pblue,blkmicarta,cf,bone ,cocobolo.this model should upgrade every year.Imop.the kopa and humingbird are ones I truly love cause they just had a new scale truly a collector knife
On Edge

Re: Giraffe bone kopa

Post by On Edge »

Couldn't agree more.
My giraffe bone Kopa was the second Spyderco I bought and it is one of my favorites.
Great knife.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Sounds lovely, please post pictures.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me without any doubts Giraffe bone Kopa is one of the best looking variants. Pictures do not do much justice to this knife.
I bought one, when they came out and liked it. All of the different. The one, which I bought was mostly yellow. I saw some pictures of Giraffe bone Kopas, which had a lot of bluish green and was very happy that mine, doesn't have much. I was totally wrong. Later Spyderco discontinued Kopas and some of them went to clearance. So I bought second Giraffe bone. This one was mostly bluish green. This one is just gorgeous.
Kopas were great knives. I just wish that they were clipless with 2 mm blade stock. I never understood, why this small gents knife needs 3 mm thick blade.
Still once in a while I carry Cocobolo, but not as often as I was. I sold a half of my set, when I needed some cash, keeping only variants, which I love. Of cause Giraffe Bone is among them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Holzfaeller wrote:Sounds lovely, please post pictures.
Here's a shot of all 16 Kopas in the order they were released. Individual pictures of each can be found here. Except for the scrimshaw work on the Evrina one, they'r all "as issued"...
top row l-r:
Cocobolo, Black Micarta, Evrina, Tiger Coral, Apple Coral, Gold Pearl, Turquoise, Black Quince

bottom row, l-r:
Pearl with Abalone Accents, Amber Jigged Bone, Stacked Wood, Pacific Blue Bone, Abalone with Pearl Accents, Giraffe Bone, Squash Jigged Bone, Carbon Fiber

When it comes to the Kopas, saying I have mixed emotions in an understatement. If Spyderco had made them without clips, or even with a clip that just left three simple screw holes in one bolster when it was removed, the Kopa would have rivaled the Kiwi for my affection. Given that they were already designing a clip specifically for the Kopa, I can't believe it would have been all that difficult to make one that fit the rounded bolster. Instead, Spyderco elected to do something truly barbaric...
...which eliminated simply removing the clip as an option for anyone with good enough taste to buy a Kopa in the first place. The bolster can be ground down and the screw holes filled, I found someone willing to do that to two of my favorites for me, but doing so still leaves a depression.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
endgame

Post by endgame »

I understand the clip but im a clip man I lose things not clipped to my pocket
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The Deacon wrote:
Holzfaeller wrote:Sounds lovely, please post pictures.
Here's a shot of all 16 Kopas in the order they were released. Individual pictures of each can be found here. Except for the scrimshaw work on the Evrina one, they'r all "as issued"...
top row l-r:
Cocobolo, Black Micarta, Evrina, Tiger Coral, Apple Coral, Gold Pearl, Turquoise, Black Quince

bottom row, l-r:
Pearl with Abalone Accents, Amber Jigged Bone, Stacked Wood, Pacific Blue Bone, Abalone with Pearl Accents, Giraffe Bone, Squash Jigged Bone, Carbon Fiber

When it comes to the Kopas, saying I have mixed emotions in an understatement. If Spyderco had made them without clips, or even with a clip that just left three simple screw holes in one bolster when it was removed, the Kopa would have rivaled the Kiwi for my affection. Given that they were already designing a clip specifically for the Kopa, I can't believe it would have been all that difficult to make one that fit the rounded bolster. Instead, Spyderco elected to do something truly barbaric...
...which eliminated simply removing the clip as an option for anyone with good enough taste to buy a Kopa in the first place. The bolster can be ground down and the screw holes filled, I found someone willing to do that to two of my favorites for me, but doing so still leaves a depression.

What did he use to fill the wholes?

Sliver?

Id Likw to try fill the whole cavitie with sliver and smooth it out.. if the steel bolster was hot to start with I think it should stick.

I've filled I'm screw wholes that way but never a large space like that.
Last edited by JAfromMN on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Opps
Last edited by JAfromMN on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Opps
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I remember that Spyderco briefly considered a left-handed Kopa, I'm still waiting for that version! ;)

My favorites of the line:

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JAfromMN wrote:What did he use to fill the wholes?

Sliver?

Id Likw to try fill the whole cavitie with sliver and smooth it out.. if the steel bolster was hot to start with I think it should stick.

I've filled I'm screw wholes that way but never a large space like that.
Pretty sure he used the clip screws and ground off the heads.
Paul
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

That explain s why there so easy to see.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JAfromMN wrote:That explain s why there so easy to see.
Yes, and no. They're not invisible, but IMHO the lighting in that photo, plus the magnification, make them stand out more than they actually do.

FWIW, the clip screw holes on the Kopas are drilled all the way through their bolster and liner and, like most Moki knives, they don't use washers. Trying to fill the holes any other way might compromise the action of the knife if whatever one used to fill the holes with touched the blade. There are probably folks who could pull it off, but there's more risk involved than using screws that can be backed off a hair if that happens before cutting off their heads.
Paul
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Lighting don't help.

You'd have to stop up the wholes so the sliver doesn't run out.

I'm going to try it if I find a kopa cheap.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Looking at Deacon's (and Tony's) Kopa collections always makes me wish I was collecting Spydercos back when these were being released …

I have managed to snag a few, even customize a couple, but nothing like these guys have … [sigh] …

I did have a thought regarding the clip(less) conundrum … I might try grinding off the clip, and just leaving the "plate" with the three screws holding it in place … a la Chris Reeve's "clip insert" … not especially pretty, but at least finished and level with the bolster … I think it would look much cleaner if I could locate some countersunk screws … (I will likely do a Photoshop mock-up before I try it … )

@ Deacon, your thoughts?

~ edge
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yes you could definitely make s cool filler like hinderer does.mayble steel flame would make one.you can use cf micarta g10 mother of pearl whatever to cover the holes.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Mr Blonde wrote:I remember that Spyderco briefly considered a left-handed Kopa, I'm still waiting for that version! ;)

My favorites of the line:

Love the Tiger Coral … and the Turquoise too for that matter … had a shot at a Turquoise from an online retailer back when there were still a few available here and there … for some forgotten reason, I opted not to buy the last one he had … still kicking myself for that bad decision …

Thanks for sharing these.

~ edge
endgame

Post by endgame »

Paul moki made the kopas?I love pocket clips so these are not a proble.I realy want a tiger coral one man thats hot.they are just so comfortable in hand open smooth with finess locks tight with a solid click.razor sharp little leaf blade.classy class class.

The Deacon wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:That explain s why there so easy to see.
Yes, and no. They're not invisible, but IMHO the lighting in that photo, plus the magnification, make them stand out more than they actually do.

FWIW, the clip screw holes on the Kopas are drilled all the way through their bolster and liner and, like most Moki knives, they don't use washers. Trying to fill the holes any other way might compromise the action of the knife if whatever one used to fill the holes with touched the blade. There are probably folks who could pull it off, but there's more risk involved than using screws that can be backed off a hair if that happens before cutting off their heads.