Slysz Bowie love ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Slysz Bowie love ?

Post by elena86 »

Maybe it's just me but, lately, Slysz Bowie doesn't seem to be mentioned so often when it comes to dedicated edc's.Just curious, are there any Slysz Bowie lovers and users out there ?
NoFair

Re: Slysz Bowie love ?

Post by NoFair »

Best EDC knife Spyderco makes imho (if the Military was more socially accepted it would rule supreme..)

At work:

Outside:

Usual daily carry when working indoors:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

@Nofair If you like Milie so much, why not PM2 for you ?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I do carry a the grey Sprint PM2 with a ti low riding clip quite a bit, but I prefer the liner lock on the Military to the PM2's comp lock. The Slysz is also a bit classier looking than a PM2 and gets less negative attention when in use.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Slysz Bowie is a very nice knife! My only gripe is there is a bit more sweep towards the tip than I like. I prefer the flatter belly of the Millie and PM2 as that makes the tip more useful for detail work. The Slysz is a great design though.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I love my Slysz.

It's an amazing design that I think will be around for a looooooong time.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Surfingringo wrote:The Slysz Bowie is a very nice knife! My only gripe is there is a bit more sweep towards the tip than I like. I prefer the flatter belly of the Millie and PM2 as that makes the tip more useful for detail work. The Slysz is a great design though.
Fully agree with the blade shape comment. Ideally it would look more like a scaled up Techno for me (with the thin blade stock of the Bowie). Still great, but if I'd ordered a custom folder it wouldn't look like the Bowie ;)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

My favorite high end folder right now. I carry it when I am not working. I switch between it and a TI ATR. The Slysz Bowie is pretty much the perfect EDC folder and fits in the pocket so well. It is like it is not even there when your carrying it. It also is an amazing slicer. Really one of the finest folders out there.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only wish they release a Ti Para2 with a heavy stonewashed handle :cool: .
THR-Thumper

Post by THR-Thumper »

Instaclassic. The Slysz Bowie checks off my EDC requirements perfectly.

It's just amazingly pleasant in the hand.

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Surfingringo wrote:The Slysz Bowie is a very nice knife! My only gripe is there is a bit more sweep towards the tip than I like. I prefer the flatter belly of the Millie and PM2 as that makes the tip more useful for detail work. The Slysz is a great design though.
That's literally the only thing I do not like. Sadly for me, it's significant.

I'm done overlooking my preference for a flatter tip for utility (I dont mind a belly towards the tip, but not too extreme). Once I see that dramatic upswept belly, I say "save money, pass".

The next two Slysz, the kitchen folder and the swayback wharny (if they come into fruition) will work better for me. Techno is great too.
Last edited by FCM415 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

elena86 wrote:I only wish they release a Ti Para2 with a heavy stonewashed handle :cool: .
The Slysz Bowie titanium finish on a Para 2 would be amazing. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, twice.

Perhaps there isn't a lot of talk about the Bowie because of the price, Maybe not as many people have them? I dunno. It's certainly the nicest knife I own. I've been carrying it all weekend.

Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

elena86 wrote:I only wish they release a Ti Para2 with a heavy stonewashed handle :cool: .
As long as they make A LOT more than 300 pieces I think it is an absolute GREAT idea :p :D
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Mine's logged hundreds of hours of carry and tens of thousands of miles. First knife to displace my Southard for any extended period of time.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Now back to the Bowie... Knife of the year for me last year for so many reasons. Put a Foundry clip on it and it's (very nearly) perfect...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
The Slysz Bowie titanium finish on a Para 2 would be amazing. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, twice.

Perhaps there isn't a lot of talk about the Bowie because of the price, Maybe not as many people have them? I dunno. It's certainly the nicest knife I own. I've been carrying it all weekend.

I'd say price is exactly what it is. I like them, want one, but I will not pay $300 for one. $200 is about the max I'd go on it.

I think it's a lot like my Lionspy I posted about and got little response, it's just a slim market for a unique ~$300 folder when there are so many cheaper options that are great.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I agree, the price is a killer for me. At $300, the knife starts to approach a tier dominated by Chris Reeve knives. At this point, the decision would be "Spyderco Slysz" or "Sebenza" for another $50 or so (maybe less second hand). Going the other way, a Spyderco Sage 2 can be found for less than half the price, and perhaps better blade shape (IMO anyway). I truly appreciate Spyderco, and every single knife except one of mine is a Spydie. However, lately, there just hasn't been a new knife that's in a good price range for me. Once a knife goes past $200, it's just more than I want to spend on a Spydie. My other knife is the Chris Reeve Sebenza, and the feel of it is, in my opinion, unsurpassed by any Spyderco I've held.

I'm not trying to be anti-Spyderco, like I said, almost every one of my knives is a Spydie. But when I considered the Rubicon vs Sebenza, there was definitely a difference in quality, and the shop assistant and I both discussed how the Rubicon wasn't really "worth" its price. I wish there was something more to it, and I know that a lot of the cost probably went into the nifty orange circle around the pivot and the sculpted handles... but IMO it was lacking in some ways and didn't really justify the price tag.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Minibear453 wrote:I agree, the price is a killer for me. At $300, the knife starts to approach a tier dominated by Chris Reeve knives. At this point, the decision would be "Spyderco Slysz" or "Sebenza" for another $50 or so (maybe less second hand). Going the other way, a Spyderco Sage 2 can be found for less than half the price, and perhaps better blade shape (IMO anyway). I truly appreciate Spyderco, and every single knife except one of mine is a Spydie. However, lately, there just hasn't been a new knife that's in a good price range for me. Once a knife goes past $200, it's just more than I want to spend on a Spydie. My other knife is the Chris Reeve Sebenza, and the feel of it is, in my opinion, unsurpassed by any Spyderco I've held.

I'm not trying to be anti-Spyderco, like I said, almost every one of my knives is a Spydie. But when I considered the Rubicon vs Sebenza, there was definitely a difference in quality, and the shop assistant and I both discussed how the Rubicon wasn't really "worth" its price. I wish there was something more to it, and I know that a lot of the cost probably went into the nifty orange circle around the pivot and the sculpted handles... but IMO it was lacking in some ways and didn't really justify the price tag.

I can relate to this post. I hunk the nirvana will break Spyderco into the new price range. The rubicon wasn't the one to do that.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not sure where this $300 price is coming from... I routinely see them on the BF exchange for only about $210-$220. Plus before you give up on it just because of the price and you've never held one, you don't know what you're missing!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

100% agree ^ (minibear)

I think a lot of the price may be because the high end spydies are made across the big lake and import costs drive retail prices because when it comes down to it, the Golden Spydies are far and away the best value for a folder in my opinion so I'd like to think Spyderco prices all their knives on the lower end compared to what it costs them to produce.
Last edited by dubya3 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)