Old vs New Natives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Old vs New Natives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know someone may say "Why are you bringing this up again?" and I am not complaining. I just would like to see what more people have to say regarding the old lines of Natives such as the Native 4 Lightweight vs the present and current Natives that do not have the old swedge-tip. Myself, I admit, I prefer the old blade shape. Has nothing to do with any "tactical" use, just I like the geometry and I think it helps it. But I see the validity of the new one, too, and it is a NICE knife :) Don't get me wrong.

Anyhow, thoughts?
SpyderNut

Re: Old vs New Natives

Post by SpyderNut »

It's funny you should ask, because I initially didn't care for either one. It wasn't that I held both in my hand and evaluated the designs that I gained new perspective--and appreciation. To me, I think I prefer the appearance of the older and softer "web pattern" FRN than the new N5's bi-directional FRCP. However, each has its own benefits. I guess I could take or leave the swedge on the older variation. It doesn't necessarily turn my crank, but it isn't a deal-breaker either. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I could do without the spine bevel, but I'll take the FFG blades of the Native 4 and Native 5 over the busy, weaponized look of the older Native blades any day. To me, the best looking Native blade ever was the one on the 2009 Forum Native. It is pure simplicity, with a full flat grind and no spine bevel.

I must also point out that there's no such thing as a "Native 4 Lightweight". The Native 4 was a "test bed" for the Native 5, was made in Japan, and was only ever offered in carbon fiber. Pictured below:
SpyderNut wrote:It's funny you should ask, because I initially didn't care for either one. It wasn't that I held both in my hand and evaluated the designs that I gained new perspective--and appreciation. To me, I think I prefer the appearance of the older and softer "web pattern" FRN than the new N5's bi-directional FRCP. However, each has its own benefits. I guess I could take or leave the swedge on the older variation. It doesn't necessarily turn my crank, but it isn't a deal-breaker either. :)
It has been confirmed numerous times that the Native V Lightweight is, and has only ever been, FRN. Only the Manix 2 Lightweight uses FRCP.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I like my CPM-440V model...excellence
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The original lightweight will always be special to me because it was my first, but as a user I've moved away from the model entirely in favor of others.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Man how do I get my hands on one of those sweet looking japanese native 4s!
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

adancingmonkey wrote:Man how do I get my hands on one of those sweet looking japanese native 4s!
You watch Ebay. I managed to grab this one (mislabeled as a Chaparral) for $75.

adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Oh man I didn't even know those existed until today, that looks like my kind of knife. I'm super jealous, also great photo!
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Im not saying anything until I try both.

I really like my native. I can say that.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

The new full flat ground model is a superior slicer and easier to work with cutting a variety of materials....I'm using my older CPM-440V Native for comparison. I will say the CPM-440V holds an edge for a good long time.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I prefer the Native 5 with the FFG and updated pivot & lock and larger choil.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

As a crusader of the Native 1, I actually have to concede to the 5's blade grind. There really is nothing like a full flat grind, and I like the subtle swedge it's given as well. The 1 will always have the upper hand (get it?) as far as the handle goes, but I do think the FFG is more practical, at least for my uses. Not that I don't enjoy the low hollow grind and generous swedge of the 1, because I find it surprisingly capable and find there is much less drag than one might expect from looking at it, but a FFG will almost always win for me in all purpose pocket knives.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have been tempted to get a new N5 LW in SE (massdrop has a deal on them right now) but fear I won't like the feel of the handle.

The clip alone is reason to upgrade to the 5. The clips on my GIN-1 and S30V Native 2's were a source of frustration, just seemed to snag on everything.

Regarding the swedge: I liked the old style blades just fine, but snapped the tip off one way too easily. The extra material towards the tip on the 5's is welcomed.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My first Spyderco knife was Native. Still Native5 is cream of the crop. Especially 2013 Forum knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

My first Spyderco was a Native as well, about 15 years ago. To me the Native 5 lw feels like the few problems of that blade have finally been dealt with. (mainly the grind with a rather weak tip, I'm also not a big fan of hollow grinds in general)
The new FRN handle on the Native 5 definitely doesn't look as good as the old one and it also looks less comfortable but it actually feels really good in hand. Currently I'm usually edc-ing a PM2 or forum Native 5 lw (before the forum version the regular Native5lw) and I've done a fair bit of all sorts of work with them without any issues with the handles.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The N5's are definitely prettier!

Don't hate me cause they're beautiful! ;)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Don't hate me cause they're beautiful! ;)
I do not hate you. But my wife possibly :D :)
BTW, probably you need to change you name to Dr. Evil (It has nothing to do with David)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
palonej

Post by palonej »

I am hating the Glowing Spydie......BIG TIME......because they're beautiful!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

:D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

RS, do you have a 2015 Forum Native? I would guess that it would be right up your alley.