Manix2 110V light 2 knives but different need expert PIC"S now lookclose

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobglenn2169

Manix2 110V light 2 knives but different need expert PIC"S now lookclose

Post by bobglenn2169 »

I have two of the manix 2 lights with 110 V but the knives have a little bit of differences

The thumb hole on one of the knives is closer to the spine then the other knife when I measured the different (from inside the hole to the spine one read 1.62mm the other knife was 1.84mm by looking at them you can see that there is less steel above the 1.62mm also one of the spiders is not centered on the thumb hole it is slightly off center.

I hope there is someone who really know spyderco who can help

I called up and they said I would need to send both knives in. The guy that I talked to was customer service they would not let me talk to the people that make this knives and handle them everyday

I really don't want to send them in I was told there could be a two week turnaround

I hope someone can help
Attachments
manix 2 110V light
manix 2 110V light
GetAttachment_003.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
manix 2 110V light
manix 2 110V light
GetAttachment_002.jpg (6.56 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
manix 2 110V light
manix 2 110V light
GetAttachment.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Last edited by bobglenn2169 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cujobob

Re: Manix2 110V light 2 knives but different need expert

Post by Cujobob »

Can you take some pictures of what you're speaking about? If you want something corrected or if something is wrong, you would need to send them in. Perhaps figure out which is having an issue and send just the one?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, most are going to tell you to send them in, because unfortunately that's the best course of action regardless of what's going on. It's a bummer to be without your knife for 2 weeks, but it happens. Aside from that, posting some clear side by side pics will help out a lot.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

You really need to send them in to get any real answers.

Nothing we can really do here on the forum because we in general don't work for Spyderco so there is not much we can really tell you.
bobglenn2169

Post by bobglenn2169 »

That's it they both have separate issues. I will post some pictures when I get home from work.
One of my main questions is being I discovered by measurement as well as looking at it as I said from the top of the thumb hole to the spines one is thicker than the other, being I am a newbe I thought some could tell me if is seen from time to time and if is normal variation, also like I said also the spider not being dead center to the whole is this a normal variation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bobglenn2169 wrote:That's it they both have separate issues. I will post some pictures when I get home from work.
One of my main questions is being I discovered by measurement as well as looking at it as I said from the top of the thumb hole to the spines one is thicker than the other, being I am a newbe I thought some could tell me if is seen from time to time and if is normal variation, also like I said also the spider not being dead center to the whole is this a normal variation

You are going to have to send in the knives, that is the bottom line.

The real experts all work inside the buildings were they make the knives. ;)
bobglenn2169

Post by bobglenn2169 »

I do understand. I very well may need to send them in, but right now looking for some one that has duplicates of spyderco models and may have experienced what I am speaking about.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I mean, there really isn't anything that says the bug should be dead center lined up with the thumb hole. Lots of my knives aren't. The hole placement could be off on one model but still be deemed within spec, and it may not effect the use of the knife whatsoever. Or, it could be a legit quality control issue that slipped through, but you won't know until they see it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bobglenn2169 wrote:I do understand. I very well may need to send them in, but right now looking for some one that has duplicates of spyderco models and may have experienced what I am speaking about.

All anyone can really do here is guess and that would be not even close to accurate.

To be sure Spyderco would need to see them.

When Customer Service tells you they need to see the knives, that is what that means exactly.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

What does the dealer say? In fact which dealer supplied them?
---------
Tony S
bobglenn2169

Post by bobglenn2169 »

Amazon they sent me the second knife when I was unsure about the first. I cannot find any reference on line in reference to a Fake manix 2 110V light
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

If it was me I'd return both, and buy from an official dealer.
---------
Tony S
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I know, I believe the holes are cut out via a pattern with a computer controlled laser. I would think there is more of a chance of the pattern being programmed 0.2mm wrong than it cutting it wrong. Also, they might have to "finish" the inside of the hole where the cut begins and that could give you 0.2mm of variation.

When I look at 0.5mm pencil lead, I'm not sure how you could reliably see 0.2mm with your eyes or feel 0.2mm with your fingers.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

the knives could be from different batches, what are the date codes on the boxes?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bobglenn2169

Post by bobglenn2169 »

I will post pictures, it is noticeable
bdblue

Re: Manix2 110V light 2 knives but different need expert PIC"S now lookclose

Post by bdblue »

Spyderco has said before that they implement slight changes in production occasionally so it is possible that a new knife and a new old stock knife would be slightly different. Nevertheless I find it unusual that there is a noticeable difference in 2 of the same model, considering that none of them are very old.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The only question I have is why aren't the knives boxed up and in the mail etc. to Spyderco yet?

You know like they wanted. ;)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:the knives could be from different batches, what are the date codes on the boxes?
This.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

What was the reason for getting the second, you said something about Amazon sending it because you were "unsure" about the first? Unsure as in thinking it might have been a fake? I still say return them both, get refund, and buy from an authorised dealer.

As an alternative, send both to Spyderco and hope at least one is genuine (what would they do with a fake, hopefully not return it to the sender?)

The bottom one looks wrong to me by the way, but that's purely an inexpert view.
---------
Tony S
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If the locks are both caged ball bearing locks, then they're probably both real. I don't have any to compare them to, but I own a whole bunch of Kiwis and the amount of metal between the top of the Spyderhole and the spine varies considerably. I severely doubt that Spyderco would consider an otherwise perfectly usable CPM-S110V blade "defective" due to a .22mm variance in blade height/Spyderhole placement, or a minor difference in the location of a logo.

I'm assuming Amazon has only charged you for one. If so you have three choices:

Assume at least one is a fake, send both back to Amazon, get a refund, and purchase from a reputable dealer.

Assume at least one is a fake, send one back to Amazon, and the other out to Spyderco for evaluation.

Assume both are genuine, send one back to Amazon, keep the other and use it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!