Spyderco Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scroop

Re: Spyderco Proficient

Post by Scroop »

Proficient has dropped at GP!
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

swigert wrote:
sal wrote:Chris designed a different blade shape for the Proficient.

sal

If you were going to use this blade for one specific task what would it be?
Why would you want to limit a knife to one specific task? :D

It was designed as a slightly more general outdoors, hunting, hiking, camping blade shape than the Bushcraft, which was aimed squarely at the woodwork side of bushcraft first and above all.

I got a message that I had a package waiting for me from UPS yesterday...originating from somewhere in Colorado :spyder: ...I don't want to get my hopes up, but it is rather hard :cool: :D

Hope folk like it.

Chris
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

C_Claycomb wrote: It was designed as a slightly more general outdoors, hunting, hiking, camping blade shape than the Bushcraft, which was aimed squarely at the woodwork side of bushcraft first and above all.

I got a message that I had a package waiting for me from UPS yesterday...originating from somewhere in Colorado :spyder: ...I don't want to get my hopes up, but it is rather hard :cool: :D

Hope folk like it.

Chris
This is great Chris. Thanks for chiming in. I own a Bushcraft seconds (cracked burl maple handle), and I love the knife. I used it camping, but have had some rust formation on the blade (camping by the ocean, lots of moisture, etc), so I'm excited about the Proficient.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for your input Chris. Always great to hear more info from the designers/collaborators.

I do really like my Bushcraft, and look forward to the Proficient. Having just spent $10,000 on plumbing repairs on my house, it may take some creative financing :) , but I do plan on obtaining one. Sooner rather than later.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
swigert

Post by swigert »

C_Claycomb wrote:
swigert wrote:
sal wrote:Chris designed a different blade shape for the Proficient.

sal

If you were going to use this blade for one specific task what would it be?
Why would you want to limit a knife to one specific task? :D

It was designed as a slightly more general outdoors, hunting, hiking, camping blade shape than the Bushcraft, which was aimed squarely at the woodwork side of bushcraft first and above all.

Hope folk like it.

Chris
Always great to hear from the designer. I think this, my south fork and the sprig could take care of any outdoor task ever!!!!

Can't wait. Thanks Chris.
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

Just been to the UPS pick up. :D

I am relieved to say that I don't think there is much danger of people not liking this one. :cool:

Being full tang, it is a solid knife in the hand but noticeably lighter than the Scandi Bushcraft. Balance is on the second finger, so sits very securely in hand. Cuts REALLY well.

Sheath is the same as the G10 Bushcraft. Think I am going to make up something in Kydex for mine. One day I may wish that I had kept it as a draw queen, but I have plans to put mine to use in some potentially very wet bush and Kydex just seems appropriate.

For folks wondering how the blade differs from the Bushcraft, here is a comparison shot.

Chris
swigert

Post by swigert »

Beautiful Chris. Congrats
BTG

Post by BTG »

Now I really can't wait, 1st preorder with Knifeworks...I've heard they get drops early..looks like only GP so far..
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Beautiful. Finally some pictures to make this thread worthwhile! Thanks for sharing Chris.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm curious... are there any benefits to the contoured carbon fiber over the contoured G10? Or is it just an issue of aesthetics?
swigert

Post by swigert »

captnvegtble wrote:I'm curious... are there any benefits to the contoured carbon fiber over the contoured G10? Or is it just an issue of aesthetics?
I think the Cf lightens it up more.
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

Weight reduction and an undeniable increase in "cool". Not sure whether one or the other is grippier in the wet.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Just got the notice, mine has shipped.....I'm going to go stand by the mailbox till it gets here..
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Yup... the proficient is available at both Knife Works and Cutlery Shoppe (my two most frequented places).
lpc

Post by lpc »

Mine arrives tomorrow from Knife Works.