Spyderco Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Spyderco Proficient

Post by captnvegtble »

Looks like the new Proficient is available on the Spyderco website:
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be hitting dealer shelves soon. I really want this knife, but it's so expensive. The Bushcraft is the most comfortable knife I've ever owned.
dubya3

Re: Spyderco Proficient

Post by dubya3 »

I'm in the same predicament, my eyes are larger than my wallet. Maybe they'll get a little cheaper down the road with a sale or something.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dubya3 wrote:I'm in the same predicament, my eyes are larger than my wallet. Maybe they'll get a little cheaper down the road with a sale or something.
They almost certainly will. I'd also venture to say you'll probably be able to find a deal on a light user on the secondary market when someone needs cash.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm excited for this one. I'll grab one.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I am pretty exited about this one also, I was going back and forth between the Bradley Bowie, South Fork, and Temperance 2, and while I was hemming and hawing I happened to see this one ( thanks to a forum heads up) in the works and decided to wait, and I'm terrible at waiting, glad it won't be too much longer.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm definitely into this one. :)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Have to agree...beautiful knife, albeit expensive. Definitely want one.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

D-Roc wrote:Have to agree...beautiful knife, albeit expensive. Definitely want one.
2!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
sal

Post by sal »

It is very expernsive. Sorry 'bout that. S90V is kind of an ultimate blade material and machined and polished solid carbon fiber in an almost pefect ergonomic handle design by Chris Claycomb is an manufacturing achievement. I don't think we'll sell a lot of them due to the cost, but it is in my opinion a real classic in what it is, and it fulfills my promise to make a "NASA version of the Claycomb Bushcraft.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:It is very expernsive. Sorry 'bout that. S90V is kind of an ultimate blade material and machined and polished solid carbon fiber in an almost pefect ergonomic handle design by Chris Claycomb is an manufacturing achievement. I don't think we'll sell a lot of them due to the cost, but it is in my opinion a real classic in what it is, and it fulfills my promise to make a "NASA version of the Claycomb Bushcraft.

sal
Thanks for he input Sal. Can't wait to get one. I will put it to use for sure.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I'll definitely be getting one, it's actually a little better in price than I was expecting, should be around $260 at places like Cutlery Shoppe.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:It is very expernsive. Sorry 'bout that. S90V is kind of an ultimate blade material and machined and polished solid carbon fiber in an almost pefect ergonomic handle design by Chris Claycomb is an manufacturing achievement. I don't think we'll sell a lot of them due to the cost, but it is in my opinion a real classic in what it is, and it fulfills my promise to make a "NASA version of the Claycomb Bushcraft.

sal
Hi Sal,

No need to apologize. In fact... thank you for making this knife. I was just thinking out loud and certainly didn't mean to come across as complaining.

I have no doubt I will be getting one, the only question is when, but I will probably wait until they're on sale/discounted. The design and ergonomics of this knife are phenomenal.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Proficient is just a fantastic fixed blade. You couldn't ask for better ergos, materials and craftsmanship/machining.

I already have the Bushcraft (FB26G) but the Proficient has FFG S90V and that gorgeous contoured/polished CF plus it's 1.4 ounces lighter.

Anyway, I'll wait a few months until the street price is about $250 (MSRP $489.95).

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

its $260 at thespydercostore, or http://www.topqualityknives.com/spyderc ... dge-knife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BTG

Post by BTG »

Has anyone seen a picture, or actually laid eyes on the sheath at a show? It says leather sheath, just no pics available...I'm picturing something like the T2 sheath...I guess it just adds to the anticipation..
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

BTG wrote:Has anyone seen a picture, or actually laid eyes on the sheath at a show? It says leather sheath, just no pics available...I'm picturing something like the T2 sheath...I guess it just adds to the anticipation..
Probably more likely to be similar to the Bushcraft Sheath, which has a plastic insert inside the leather sheath where the blade sits.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

You know what I just noticed looking closely at the pictures... the blade on the Proficient appears to be a bit wider with more of an up-swept tip and slightly more belly than the BushCraft. Can someone who has seen/handled/owns the Proficient confirm this?

I was thinking the blade profile would be the same, except for the FFG. Maybe the sheath is different.
sal

Post by sal »

Chris designed a different blade shape for the Proficient.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:Chris designed a different blade shape for the Proficient.

sal

If you were going to use this blade for one specific task what would it be?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:Chris designed a different blade shape for the Proficient.

sal
Thanks Sal! Looks very close to the Bushcraft. I'm looking forward to the day when I own one.