Chaparral FRN????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

Re: Chaparral FRN????

Post by sbaker345 »

awa54 wrote:
sbaker345 wrote: Compare it to the lightweight manix 2, which I quite appreciate, and you'll notice the blade stop is a large metal bar with 2 instead of 1 rivot per side, but also with the way the ball bearing is pushed down into the blade to wedge itself in between the bar and blade and should be self correcting at to least some degree, even if the ball bearing, tang, or blade stop bar were to wear, or shift, the design should still create a tight lockup. Just my 2 cents, not really worth much.
So you're with me on the Manix-mini concept? It would take some work to shoehorn the ball lock into the available space in a Chaparral without changing the handle dimensions, but I bet it could be done for a light use blade like the Chap.

Yes, provided the spring was scaled down as well, otherwise I can only imagine trying to close the thing.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

jabba359 wrote:Isn't the Chaparral supposed to be a backlock platform with the only difference being scale materials? I feel like the Sage series is more likely to get the ball-bearing treatment, seeing as that's the Taiwan platform for various locks.
My wishful speculation has no bearing on reality!

But then again, anything is possible... Spyderco mixes things up all the time!

After all, there are designs that have been made in both Colorado and Japan, so why not a variant on Chaparral that isn't Taiwanese?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sal has mentioned several times that the Chap lock and blade steel will remain the same, as the model is meant to be a platform to try various scale materials and designs. That they may try to stuff a smaller CBBL into a Chap-like frame at some point or try some other lock type, but that knife won't be called a Chaparral.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It really depends on the need for liners. If you could incorporate the stop pin channels into the frn and ditch the liners it could be lighter and cost less but if you have to keep the liners to make the stop pins work then it may not make a difference.

My favorite thing about frn isn't cost or weight anyway. What I like about frn is it's durability and the grip due to the texturing.
Agreed with Darby, although my wallet and wife probably like the cost savings too. Also, I feel less sad when I punish an FRN knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ninewalker

Post by ninewalker »

Ever since I got the stepped Ti Chaparral I've been wanting the CF one for more frequent use. I've grown to really like it, more so than the other knives I carry in pocket. When I read the pamphlet that came with the knife I certainly got the feeling that the Chaparral line really isn't going to be a sub $100 folder that I can use as a beater. The design philosophy seems to point to it being a more high end folder and I had a moment of feeling that it was a shame because I really like the knife. However, I quickly got over it. Now I read this thread and dare I say that my hopes have been rekindled?

It's not going to stop me from looking longingly at that CF Chaparral product page though. /sigh
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder if a place like this could produce enough of something for the Chaparral series.

http://beyondwoodproducts.com/dnn/Produ ... ife_Blocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Neat stuff Donut. Thanx.

We'll loook into it.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

No problem at all. I wish you luck in "possible" Chaparrals. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:I wonder if a place like this could produce enough of something for the Chaparral series.

http://beyondwoodproducts.com/dnn/Produ ... ife_Blocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If Sal likes it, that's all that really matters but it's not my cup of tea.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Deacon wrote:
Donut wrote:I wonder if a place like this could produce enough of something for the Chaparral series.

If Sal likes it, that's all that really matters but it's not my cup of tea.
I think your opinion matters, you ARE the person to consult about all pretty scale materials.

Which of the Kopa scales were your favorites? I remember seeing that you had some done up with other scale materials.

I got the idea from a custom knife maker who was selling a kitchen knife on BF, it is pretty nice looking IMO.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Any updates on the FRN Chap? :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I would LOVE to see another less-expensive Chaparral. I like the Ti versions, especially the C2, but they are too expensive to move ahead of plenty of other Spyderco knives on the to-buy list. Now, that said, if you made a full-CF version as well, perhaps with no or much-reduced liners, I'd probably sell something non-knife that I own so I could buy it. And I could really see an FRN version selling very well; it could slot in nicely between the Dragonfly, and the Native and Delica, in terms of blade length. What would be great is if it can sit in the general price range between the DF and Delica as well.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
sal

Post by sal »

in-the-works

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:in-the-works

sal
Exciting! If you guys go with partial liners I may have a new favourite knife when it comes out :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This is exciting. :) I would really like to see a FRN Chap. I imagine it would be an instant hit with a lot of folks. Any news on where the FRN version will be made?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sully

Post by Sully »

Big fan of my Chap 1. I assume the treatment/design of the FRN would be updated in some way, not the typical style. Will probably be popular as it won't be continuing on up that Chaparral pricing staircase to the moon. Still, I was hoping for the next Chap to introduce a new, modern material. C-Teck had sounded really interesting to me. Or a surprise material innovation. Just not Titanium again. I'm curious how it all turns out.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sully wrote:Big fan of my Chap 1. I assume the treatment/design of the FRN would be updated in some way, not the typical style. Will probably be popular as it won't be continuing on up that Chaparral pricing staircase to the moon. Still, I was hoping for the next Chap to introduce a new, modern material. C-Teck had sounded really interesting to me. Or a surprise material innovation. Just not Titanium again. I'm curious how it all turns out.
I'm hoping we won't see anymore Ti as well. I hope the copper/bronze idea comes to life in the future and I'd be very happy if a wood or bone material were to be used.

Maybe one day we will see pure gold handles :D an ounce of gold on each side? $2500 chaparral lol
-Spencer

Rotation:
Sully

Post by Sully »

Holland wrote:...... I hope the copper/bronze idea comes to life in the future and I'd be very happy if a wood or bone material were to be used.

Maybe one day we will see pure gold handles :D an ounce of gold on each side? $2500 chaparral lol
Copper/bronze did sound like it really was going to happen. Would love an African snakewood Chap!

That Gold Chap is coming,,,for 50th Anniversary, for sure! :D
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I'm in for an FRN Chaparral. Too bad the back lock cut out in the scales didn't follow a tried and true curved shape. Current shape looks like a clever also ran--not very aesthetic.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

roger-roger wrote:I'm in for an FRN Chaparral. Too bad the back lock cut out in the scales didn't follow a tried and true curved shape. Current shape looks like a clever also ran--not very aesthetic.
On one hand I tend to agree with you that the curve shape always looks nice but, on the other hand, I appreciate that they went with something a little different for this knife. Since there's no Boye dent in the lockbar I think the cut out work and looks fine.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!