man arrested (NY) for carrying a UK Pen Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

man arrested (NY) for carrying a UK Pen Knife...

Post by dubya3 »

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/new-yo ... aw-6658431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's mind boggling to me how NY (city) operates. The gun laws are one thing but calling a regular locking folder a "gravity knife" is ludicrous! I wonder just how many cases like this there are but we don't hear about them.

I read another article where the guy carried a knock off Delica, that couldnt be flicked open, as a work utility knife and spent multiple days in jail and after a long ordeal was awarded $57K for being wrongfully arrested. Maybe he can afford a REAL Delica now anyway.

Knife laws here in MN are pretty relaxed, nothing over 4" in a folder and no autos. I do concrete work and many times on large bridge or freeway jobs we have police helping control traffic so we don't get run over. I've asked two different officers on different occasions now what the laws are and how serious an offense is and they basically said even if I had something auto or over 4" the worst that'd happen would be a citation and/or losing the knife but its all at the officers discretion so they may just tell you to put it away and scram. I showed one officer my Endura 4 SE and much to my surprise he showed me his own Spydie, a blue Endura which I thought was pretty cool.

Has anyone had a run in with authority where your EDC is in question and if so, how did it end?
Last edited by dubya3 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

SpyderEdgeForever

Re: man arrested (NY) for carrying a UK Pen Knife...

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with you, it is nonsense and ridiculous for the governments to keep up this anti-knife charade, especially against pocket and pen knives.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

dubya3 wrote:http://www.villagevoice.com/news/new-yo ... aw-6658431

It's mind boggling to me how NY operates. The gun laws are one thing but calling a regular locking folder a "gravity knife" is ludicrous! I wonder just how many cases like this there are but we don't hear about them.

I read another article where the guy carried a knock off Delica, that couldnt be flicked open, as a work utility knife and spent multiple days in jail and after a long ordeal was awarded $57K for being wrongfully arrested. Maybe he can afford a REAL Delica now anyway.

Knife laws here in MN are pretty relaxed, nothing over 4" in a folder and no autos. I do concrete work and many times on large bridge or freeway jobs we have police helping control traffic so we don't get run over. I've asked two different officers on different occasions now what the laws are and how serious an offense is and they basically said even if I had something auto or over 4" the worst that'd happen would be a citation and/or losing the knife but its all at the officers discretion so they may just tell you to put it away and scram. I showed one officer my Endura 4 DE and much to my surprise he showed me his own Spydie, a blue Endura which I thought was pretty cool.

Has anyone had a run in with authority where your EDC is in question and if so, how did it end?
Fortunately (in some respects), I live in the deep South, so the knife and gun laws are very relaxed. 4+ inch blades are legal, I believe. Only 'dirks' and automatics are illegal.

But expect the style of persecution seen in New York to slowly envelop the entire nation in the very near future, because that future is a (ironically illiberal) liberal one, where pretty much every state will be an Obama-ized California/New York. The truism "everything is political" is indeed true, especially for those 'SJW's' like Obama that are entrenching themselves within every societal apparatus (Academia, Media, Entertainment, Public Sector), apparatuses that control the minds, and if they can't reconstruct you then you'll just be 'legislated' into extinction. For example, there's many individuals in Academia that would criticize knife and gun ownership and enthusiasm, which are undoubtedly very white, as examples of 'unconscious racism', and hence they politically persecute these individuals accordingly, which is why you have retarded knife and gun laws.

The idea that a 10 round magazine is somehow less dangerous than a 17 round magazine simply because less people will die when the inevitable (implicitly conceded) mass shooting happens is cynically perverse, and the same calculus decrees 3 inch blades instead of 4 inch blades or anti-locks.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Do not try and make sense of liberal lefty laws it will only serve to frustrate and anger. Their laws and lofty philosophical ideas are based on a minute by minute theoretical pseudo utopian society. Which they themselves do not have to participate in because they are of a higher caste than us peasants. They know better than you do how to live your life, raise your kids, protect yourself,what foods you should eat etc.

The only way this gets better is we stop taking the handouts ( health care, food stamps etc) and fight for our rights. I believe that you have a god given right to protect yourself, your offspring and those around you regardless if its a criminal or the government. Every animal has this basic right we seem to have forgotten this very basic right. But many continue to trade rights for "free" handouts and they know it. Fight back every chance you get. Vote write letters protest yell it from mountaintops but for god sake don't try and understand it because it does not make sense.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

This is mind-boggling to me. In Wisconsin EVERYONE carries a knife. It is almost expected. I hear autos are illegal but have never heard of it being enforced. **** lots of people open carry handguns in public. I don't understand how disarming the public will make anyone safer...
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

You need to correct your title. It should say NEW YORK CITY.

Please don't make the same mistake as everyone else and confuse NYC with NYS. There's a ton of really good people here; unfortunately, we're outnumbered by the libs in NYC.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Btw, the city is ludicrous with how they treat knife owners. wish the libs would be more sensible. :rolleyes:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A single father brings his four year old daughter into the hospital. She is suffering from a high fever and delirium, obviously a serious infection. He has no medical insurance because his was canceled by his insurance company after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in treatment and hospitalization costs for his wife who was later determined by the insurance company to have had a "pre-existing condition" which led to her illness. She died. He can't buy more because he is broke from paying off his wife's medical bills and supporting his daughter and her three siblings. So, too bad for the little girl. No money, no insurance, no help.

An older combat veteran, living on disability and ravaged by his psychological and physical injuries is living in a broken down trailer and trying to keep it together. His psychological issues keep him from being employed. He needs to eat regularly to stay healthy and applies for food stamps. But, hey, it's a 'give away' handout, so bug off old man. Get a job.

Life is complicated and complex and simple solutions usually are just that. Simple. And wrong.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Glad things turned out well for him. Still, not that it justifies the arrest, but carrying a knife in NYC clipped so that part of it is visible was foolhardy long before Vance went rogue, made a total mockery out of NYS law regarding gravity knives, and proved that crime can pay with his blatant "theft under color of authority" shaking down of merchants.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

You should vote intelligently.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:A single father brings his four year old daughter into the hospital. She is suffering from a high fever and delirium, obviously a serious infection. He has no medical insurance because his was canceled by his insurance company after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in treatment and hospitalization costs for his wife who was later determined by the insurance company to have had a "pre-existing condition" which led to her illness. She died. He can't buy more because he is broke from paying off his wife's medical bills and supporting his daughter and her three siblings. So, too bad for the little girl. No money, no insurance, no help.

An older combat veteran, living on disability and ravaged by his psychological and physical injuries is living in a broken down trailer and trying to keep it together. His psychological issues keep him from being employed. He needs to eat regularly to stay healthy and applies for food stamps. But, hey, it's a 'give away' handout, so bug off old man. Get a job.

Life is complicated and complex and simple solutions usually are just that. Simple. And wrong.
And that is very typical of today's society unfortunately. :mad:

And why people need to get a lawyer for just about everything these days, and that all takes forever and the lawyers have to get paid too.

The policies and laws are not written to favor normal people lets just say.

All it takes is one person in the process that wants to be a jerk because they can then it takes years and a lot of money to actually get it corrected.

Seen that up close and personal as in it happened to me. ;)
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

MichaelScott wrote:A single father brings his four year old daughter into the hospital. She is suffering from a high fever and delirium, obviously a serious infection. He has no medical insurance because his was canceled by his insurance company after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in treatment and hospitalization costs for his wife who was later determined by the insurance company to have had a "pre-existing condition" which led to her illness. She died. He can't buy more because he is broke from paying off his wife's medical bills and supporting his daughter and her three siblings. So, too bad for the little girl. No money, no insurance, no help.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Are these real life examples? Can you provide references to them?

Thanks.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So, let's not make this a political slug-fest... I am *very* liberal, but I'm also in favor of *responsible* ownership and use of both knives and firearms. The world and the people in it are not black and white, nor are they just D or R, there are many gray shadings.

Yes, NYCs enforcement of knife carry law is regressive, litigious and nonsensical, but its previous mayor was hardly a progressive liberal! Vermont where I live has extremely lax knife and gun laws, but is arguably one of the most liberal states overall. Sadly, it takes someone with deep pockets and a great lawyer to fight this sort of regulatory foolishness.

I work (and have done so since I was 18, for years at two full time jobs at once) for my pay and don't expect a free ride, but I'm *glad* to pay in to the "social safety net" that so many conservatives call "entitlements", not just because I want it to be there if I need it, but because I think that it should be there for *anyone* who needs it. In my view even a misogynist, xenophobic gass-bag like Trump deserves to have food, a place to live and health care if they fall on hard times and circumstance leaves them unable to meet their obligations, for me that's part of what it means to be a member of humanity.

There, I'm done. Now lets all quit waving our politics around, put 'em back in our pants and talk about non-politically aligned knives, especially awesome Spydercos, like the forum name implies!!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

awa54 wrote:

I work (and have done so since I was 18, for years at two full time jobs at once) for my pay and don't expect a free ride, but I'm *glad* to pay in to the "social safety net" that so many conservatives call "entitlements", not just because I want it to be there if I need it, but because I think that it should be there for *anyone* who needs it. In my view even a misogynist, xenophobic gass-bag like Trump deserves to have food, a place to live and health care if they fall on hard times and circumstance leaves them unable to meet their obligations!
Me either I don't mind helping those who need it glad to pay for it but for how long a year how about ten years or better yet generations . When do you say enough is enough.We always talk about the truly needy but never the gross abuse that's bleeding us dry.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Mic1 wrote:
awa54 wrote:

I work (and have done so since I was 18, for years at two full time jobs at once) for my pay and don't expect a free ride, but I'm *glad* to pay in to the "social safety net" that so many conservatives call "entitlements", not just because I want it to be there if I need it, but because I think that it should be there for *anyone* who needs it. In my view even a misogynist, xenophobic gass-bag like Trump deserves to have food, a place to live and health care if they fall on hard times and circumstance leaves them unable to meet their obligations!
Me either I don't mind helping those who need it glad to pay for it but for how long a year how about ten years or better yet generations . When do you say enough is enough.We always talk about the truly needy but never the gross abuse that's bleeding us dry.
Spot on. We all need a helping hand at least once in our lives, whatever the situation may be, but to LIVE off assistance and teach your children that lifestyle burns my butt. I don't like working a 60-70 hour a week concrete construction job but I do it to support my family (and apparently many other families) and have a little play money to meagerly enjoy my hobbies.

Unfortunately there isn't much of a middle ground when it comes to assistance but there are things that can be implemented to help control the wasteful giving.

The best thing you can do is vote intelligently like Sal said earlier
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Dillholio

Post by Dillholio »

Not that it helps anybody in NYC, but in 2 days San Antonio will be relieved on its locking knife ban:

http://www.ksat.com/news/state-law-void ... -knife-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The frustrating part is even under the ban, when you would talk to most SAPD officers, they would readily admit that they didn't bother "normal" people under the ordinance, just "troublemakers," which is subjective to say the least.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:You should vote intelligently.

sal
The only problem with that Sal, is that in New York, if you're pro-knife and pro-2nd Amendment, you are part of such a small minority that the only way to "vote intelligently" is to vote with your feet, and move to a state where the political climate is more to your liking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

How does Obama have anything to do with how NYC law enforcement agencies enforce laws? I live in one of the most liberal states in the country, and I carry a Spydie all the time... the key is to do so discretely (not clipping it so it is visible). I generally just drop it in my pocket and I am good to go.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a related question to that: Generally I think it is a good idea, and I know this takes the "fun" out of a knife with a pocket clip, to keep the knife INSIDE your pocket, like Eddie said, because then they cannot see the clip, thus do not know you are carrying it, unless you were stopped and they made you empty your pocket contents. But, here is my question about this: Are there states and municipalities, where if they were to make you show the knife that you have inside your pocket, they can consider it an "illegally concealed weapon", or not?