Dinosaur Bone C04 - Executive "Gift" Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Re: Dinosaur Bone C04 - Executive "Gift" Knife

Post by jabba359 »

I know a guy with one of these. Don't know if he wants that knowledge made public, so I'll point him to this thread. Perhaps he has pictures he's willing to share.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:All in good fun guys. It is a pretty awesome concept and a knife I haven't seen many pics of either.

Forum culture is pretty funny too. Some forums you get chastised if you make a new thread instead of searching and bumping a thread, while others freak out if you bump an old thread. Personally I kinda like seeing the old threads especially when they cover classic knives, because it's like a peak into what was going on at the time that those knives were current, and where else can you get that? On some models I've even done searches just so I could find threads that date back when those knives were released, just to read about all the excitement that everyone had when they were new and to try to live through those posts.

Agreed. This is a VERY friendly forum, probably the best I'm a member of and there are about 11 or 12. I've seen people get ridiculed to the point they quit enjoying the particular forum because they started a topic that been recently discussed. Myself, I don't really care, if I don't like the topic or I've had enough, I just ignore it. Simple! :D
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

As to the recent value of these, one with a crack in the bone handle sold for $750 a few months ago.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Wow. Theoretically you *might* see $1k on a mint piece now days.

I know there are a few low run pieces in the Q lineup like the Coke or Coors knives for instance, and maybe this question should have its own thread but, if the Dino Executive isn't the rarest, most valuable Spydie, what is?
Cory

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I don't see what makes the Dino Executive so desirable. It's just a regular Spydie customized by Santa Fe Stoneworks and distributed through Spyderco. There were 30 made IIRC. There are plenty of other Spydies with the same handle material, and you don't see them fetching such high prices.
dubya3 wrote:I know there are a few low run pieces in the Q lineup like the Coke or Coors knives for instance, and maybe this question should have its own thread but, if the Dino Executive isn't the rarest, most valuable Spydie, what is?
Well, I was the second highest bidder on a Cranberry Lum prototype (1 of 1 or 2). It sold for a total of 1,367. Also, I have seen both generations of the S90V PM2s sell for >750. Finally, the World Trade Centers can vary widely in price (I got mine for 330), but I have seen some as high as 800+.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I like seeing old threads as well.

I have a dinosaur bone scale on a Delica. that ran about $350 US (including the knife) about three years ago from Santa Fe Stoneworks. Not a fair comparison as SS Delica's are readily available but gives an idea of the replacement cost of something like this.

I was told at the

One of these days I am going to go about posting some pictures, I swear.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I don't see what makes the Dino Executive so desirable. It's just a regular Spydie customized by Santa Fe Stoneworks and distributed through Spyderco. There were 30 made IIRC.
I've owned one of those 30 Dino Bone Executives and what I valued more than anything was the story behind the knife. The example I owned was absolutely beautiful with no cracks, however what captivated me the most was the opportunity to own a piece of Spyderco history. That knife was not sold or distributed by Spyderco. Sal had them made to give out as gifts to important people in his life at that time. That's a small testament to the kind of person Sal is and when I saw a chance to own a piece of that I jumped on it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dubya3 wrote:Wow. Theoretically you *might* see $1k on a mint piece now days.

I know there are a few low run pieces in the Q lineup like the Coke or Coors knives for instance, and maybe this question should have its own thread but, if the Dino Executive isn't the rarest, most valuable Spydie, what is?
Most valuable is going to be a moving target. As for rarity, that's going to be subject to interpretation. Do we count only production models, or do things like prototypes (like those Q's you mentioned), pilot runs (like the original 50 Manix 2's), and presentation pieces (like the Dino Bone Executive) count?

In any event, rarity does not always equate to value. Sal once said that only "a couple dozen" first generation Mariners were given the ti-ni treatment, and "less than a handful" of those were PE, so this is a pretty rare bird, albeit one that's not terribly high in terms of collector interest...
The production red bone Kiwi had no visible pins, the scales were glued on, but about "a dozen or so" were pinned, like the earlier jigged bone version...

I've been told this Stretch is one of two prototypes that were made...
According to The Spyderco Story, there were 30 of the Dino Bone Executives made. For perspective, I'm pretty sure there were about the same amount of these...
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I love that Stretch Paul! :cool:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Is that a liner lock on that Ocelot? Regretting even more not grabbing one when I had the chance a few years ago...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

fellyjr wrote:I love that Stretch Paul! :cool:
Me too. :D The darn thing keeps finding its way into my back pocket. It's seen quite a bit of carry time, and a fair amount of use, since that photo was taken.
NoFair wrote:Is that a liner lock on that Ocelot? Regretting even more not grabbing one when I had the chance a few years ago...
No, and yes. It's a compression lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I don't see what makes the Dino Executive so desirable. It's just a regular Spydie customized by Santa Fe Stoneworks and distributed through Spyderco. There were 30 made IIRC. There are plenty of other Spydies with the same handle material, and you don't see them fetching such high prices.
dubya3 wrote:I know there are a few low run pieces in the Q lineup like the Coke or Coors knives for instance, and maybe this question should have its own thread but, if the Dino Executive isn't the rarest, most valuable Spydie, what is?
Well, I was the second highest bidder on a Cranberry Lum prototype (1 of 1 or 2). It sold for a total of 1,367. Also, I have seen both generations of the S90V PM2s sell for >750. Finally, the World Trade Centers can vary widely in price (I got mine for 330), but I have seen some as high as 800+.

It's just exclusivity and the fact that it's an older model.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Deacon wrote:Me too. :D The darn thing keeps finding its way into my back pocket. It's seen quite a bit of carry time, and a fair amount of use, since that photo was taken.
It has that awesome "pocket worn" look to it which makes it even better looking IMO. ;)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Deacon wrote: No, and yes. It's a compression lock.
Thanks Paul. Passing on it isn't as hard to stomach now :D
sal

Post by sal »

Felly is correct n the dino bone. It was one of the early dino bones made when Santa Fe was beginning to work with the material. I had them make 30 pieces and gave them to special associates involved with Spyderco. None were sold by Spyderco.

Deacon has some really rare pieces as well. His Evrina Kopa is one of 2, I've got the other one for a display in SFO. The Mariner was an early experiment in coatings.

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wow, that Mariner is beautiful! Love the straight lines, looks somewhat industrial.
Can imagine that to a lot of people it will look like somewhat of an almost unfinished knife.
With custom cars I tend to like the simple ones in primer without much chrome most too.. ;)
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

fellyjr wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:I don't see what makes the Dino Executive so desirable. It's just a regular Spydie customized by Santa Fe Stoneworks and distributed through Spyderco. There were 30 made IIRC.
I've owned one of those 30 Dino Bone Executives and what I valued more than anything was the story behind the knife. The example I owned was absolutely beautiful with no cracks, however what captivated me the most was the opportunity to own a piece of Spyderco history. That knife was not sold or distributed by Spyderco. Sal had them made to give out as gifts to important people in his life at that time. That's a small testament to the kind of person Sal is and when I saw a chance to own a piece of that I jumped on it.

Agreed. The collector in my values the history behind the knives (or whatever I'm collecting) more so than the value, that's an added bonus.

Since I was in grade school I've carried a pocket knife and collected everything from coins and sportscards to agates (rocks) so when I discovered Spyderco it was only natural that I was drawn to the odd and/or rare pieces as well as the awesome users.

Thank you for the pictures and information on the knives above! They're all very cool pieces, I especially like the Ocelot and Stretch.
Cory

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:You could put part of this thread on the other side of the knife and you wouldn't be able to tell which side was dinosaur bone and which side was the thread :p
That certainly takes the cake as the Hilarious Post of the Week! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King