Lava for dress pants???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobArt

Lava for dress pants???

Post by RobArt »

Good Morning Gents,

I have a Calypso Jr., Cara Cara & a Delica but find them all a bit too large when I have to wear dress pants in the office. Would a Lava be a good choice to carry in my dress pant pockets? I was considering a Dragonfly but I'm not too sure I like the molded clip.

Thanks!
bma

Post by bma »

RobArt wrote:Good Morning Gents,

I have a Calypso Jr., Cara Cara & a Delica but find them all a bit too large when I have to wear dress pants in the office. Would a Lava be a good choice to carry in my dress pant pockets? I was considering a Dragonfly but I'm not too sure I like the molded clip.
Lava as an office EDC is a pretty common function, I'd imagine. I'd like to get one someday, but the Caly3 CF took priority this month :)

My favorites for office carry are SS Cricket SE or SS Dragonfly SE.
The SS Byrd Robin is pretty nice too, but pretty heavy for thin dress pants (fine in Khakis, though).

Other possibilities: Navigator II, Kiwi, Kopa.

Brian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My personal feeling is that clipped knives don't go with dress slacks, period. However, that's a matter of personal taste. The Lava is approximately the same size when closed as the Dragonfly so it certainly would be a reasonable choice for a small clipped folder.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Don't forget, there is also an SS D'fly, and soon to be an etched SS d'fly. I think either would be great for office carry, but the lava is great too :D

Actually, I'd sooner reccomend a SS kiwi for the office, or one with inlays if you want some class. The kiwi is the least likely of my spidies to scare someone.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i think the kopa, kiwi, or SS dragonfly, carried in pocket, would also be good potential office/dress knives.
RobArt

Post by RobArt »

I forgot about the Kiwi! A model with some inlay would be very smart looking...good call.

Rob
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Together with the Kopa, the Lava is my main Office EDC. I don't wear it clipped to my pocket, but more discreetly IWB behind a belt.

I'm very happy with the Lava. Along with the Kopa, it's the best office knife I've seen from Spyderco to date.....with a clip. The Kiwi is another good contender.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

lava, kopa, kiwi or cricket all make great office knives. all are fairly sheeple friendly -- just a matter of personal preference.

i'd vote for the kopa, but its also the most expensive. lava is a close second for me, but any of them would be a good choice.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

Because of its low-profile clip, I only carry a Meerkat when I wear slacks. The Meerkat's clip looks almost like a pen clip, so I have not had anyone ask me what it is (if discreetness is an issue for you).

Meerkats are getting harder to find, but I wholeheartedly recommend one if you can find it.
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)
griff76

Post by griff76 »

I would highly recommend a blue almite Walker. Great looking and NKP friendly.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

RobArt wrote:I have a Calypso Jr., Cara Cara & a Delica but find them all a bit too large when I have to wear dress pants in the office. Would a Lava be a good choice to carry in my dress pant pockets?
**** SKIPPY! :D :cool:

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

RobArt wrote:Good Morning Gents,

Thanks!
RobArt, are u planning of carrying the knife clipped or unclipped in your dress pants.....?
the lava is a smaller knife than the Delica/CalypsoJr. but it weighs a little more than these knives....as I carry my clipits loose in pocket at work.....if i carry a Lava it ends up in my rear pocket b/c of the weight......i believe its around 3 oz in weight IIRC.....
I've come to appreciate (for office carry) knives that are lighter....like 2.5oz or lighter including the Kopas, UKPK, S, and Bokerplus Trance....seem to end up being carrried twice as much......just my 2cents..... :rolleyes:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
RobArt

Post by RobArt »

I would clip it to my pocket. It is nearing warmer weather in Wisconsin and I will be switching to lighter pants. Anything that weighs the pockets down tends to be irritating.

Rob
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The UKPK feels lighter than the Delica4 to me, and much lighter than the Lava. The deep pocket wire clip makes it practically disappear in the pocket. I don't wear dress pants, but I don't even notice the UKPK clipped to the pocket of my jeans.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

the lightest knives in my collection:

SPOT 1.4 oz
Caly Jr 1.9 oz
Delica3 1.9 oz
MeerKat 2.2 oz
UKPK 2.4 oz
Delica4 2.5 oz
Kopa 2.5 oz
Jess Horn Lightweight 2.55 oz
Delica4 Wave 2.55 oz
Dodo 2.6 oz

everything else is over 3 oz
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
RobArt

Post by RobArt »

I might add that the Spyderco knife purchases began by getting irritated on a job site where nobody had a knife to open some boxes - myself included. A gent on a shave site I frequent suggested Spyderco knives...and so it began.

Thanks for all the feedback gents!

Rob
CajunMike

Pictures

Post by CajunMike »

My opinion is the Lava would work well as long as the pants were not too loose. The Kiwi is my dress pants knife of choice.
Mike

We need some pictures for this thread! :D
Attachments
kiwi folded.jpg
kiwi folded.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
kiwi open.jpg
kiwi open.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
lava flowers.jpg
lava flowers.jpg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
RobArt

Post by RobArt »

Thanks for the pics!!

*Update*

Lava on the way in & pondering the Kiwi and/or Caly III.

Thanks again for the feedback gents. Definitely a fine group here...

Rob
Bluebonnets

Re: Lava for dress pants???

Post by Bluebonnets »

Hi,

I am new here and a dress designer student in California, United States. I understood the dress pants and fashion but why there are knives photo?
Last edited by Bluebonnets on Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shopping online women dresses - thetrendystyle.com in America. Worldwide shipping and free made to measure service!
yablanowitz

Re: Lava for dress pants???

Post by yablanowitz »

Bluebonnets wrote:Hi,

I am new here and a dress designer student in Sydney, Australia. I understood the dress pants and fashion but why there are knives photo?
Because this is a knife manufacturer's product discussion forum, and the knives in the photos are the manufacturer's products.
Welcome to the forum.