Who Appreciates Spyderco's Serrated Fixed Blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Who Appreciates Spyderco's Serrated Fixed Blades?

Post by JD Spydo »

For over 10 years now I've constantly used my Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 Spyderedged model. After all these years my TEMP 1 in Spyderedge and the plain edged version have both been very nice cutting tools for me and I wish at some point they would bring them back in a newer/better blade steel. Both my TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE) have probably gotten more usage than any other Spyder I've used over the years. I've been sort of disappointed that Spyderco didn't offer their TEMP 2 model in Spyderedge especially with all the fanfare that the Aqua Salt has received and I"m sure glad it's returning to the main line up.

Also Spyderco has added the Jumpmaster model in full SE and it's really gotten a big fanbase in a relatively short time period. I truly believe that if more people would try one of Spyderco's fixed blade versions in full Spyderedge they would be sold very quickly. The extra leverage you can get with a fixed blade does indeed make a difference.

I'm wondering what Spyderco fixed blade if you have one is your favorite? I'm also wondering who uses and appreciates Spyderco's fixed blades in full Spyderedge? Also what do you all mainly use your Spyderco fully serrated fixed blades for?
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Who Appreciates Spyderco's Serrated Fixed Blades?

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Do they still make any Fixed SE blades?

After reading your post again it seems I need some work on reading comprehension.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
vivi

Post by vivi »

What do you use them for? When I use a fixed blade it's typically in some sort of camping / hiking role. Cutting rope, working as a camp kitchen knife, maybe carving some wood to make stakes for my tarp etc. None of those things really require a SE, and much of that work is hindered by using one. I prefer PE FB's.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This one is really excellent in the kitchen, thin and full flat grind:

JD, was the Temperance 1 SE also FFG? I would love to see a picture of your old faithfuls...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Do they still make any Fixed SE blades?

After reading your post again it seems I need some work on reading comprehension.
YES!! Absolutely they have Spyderedged fixed blades>> The JUMPMASTER has been on the main line up for some time now>> also they've re-introduced the AQUA SALT out of the H-1 Salt Series.

And they have also re-introduced those two kitchen models like the one that Brock O Lee put up to show us. He put up the model K-04 in the picture>> they have also brought back the K-05 model as well. Both are great kitchen blades in SE. I'm hoping for more of the fixed blades to be available in Spyderedge.

As far as what I use them for?? I use my SE TEMP 1 on many different cutting jobs. If I've got something really tough to cut or sever I most usually get out my Spyderedged TEMP 1 model.

The serration pattern on the Jumpmaster model is a really nice one and I've heard nothing but good about it.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Spyderco in my opinion makes the best serrated blades I have used , no doubt if you own a Jumpmaster you know what I mean
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

JD Spydo wrote:

YES!! Absolutely they have Spyderedged fixed blades>> The JUMPMASTER has been on the main line up for some time now>> also they've re-introduced the AQUA SALT out of the H-1 Salt Series.

And they have also re-introduced those two kitchen models like the one that Brock O Lee put up to show us. He put up the model K-04 in the picture>> they have also brought back the K-05 model as well. Both are great kitchen blades in SE. I'm hoping for more of the fixed blades to be available in Spyderedge.

As far as what I use them for?? I use my SE TEMP 1 on many different cutting jobs. If I've got something really tough to cut or sever I most usually get out my Spyderedged TEMP 1 model.

The serration pattern on the Jumpmaster model is a really nice one and I've heard nothing but good about it.
I use to be a jumpmaster so you would think that knife would not have slipped my mind.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:This one is really excellent in the kitchen, thin and full flat grind:

JD, was the Temperance 1 SE also FFG? I would love to see a picture of your old faithfuls...
YES!! my TEMP 1 in full Spyderedge is FFG. At this time I don't have any way of putting up pictures of my "OLD FAITHFULS" but trust me they both are still 85% as nice looking as they were when I got them back around 04-05. I even had both of them with black blades at one time and that variant is getting really tough to find now a days.

To this day it's one of the very few outdoor/hunting type knives that was ever available with a fully serrated edge. That's why I won't give up hope for a Sprint Run of the TEMP 1 in a newer/better blade steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Jumpmaster and H-1 Enuf come to mind immediately. I'm sure there must be others.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Jumpmaster and H-1 Enuf come to mind immediately. I'm sure there must be others.
I've yet to get to use either one of these models but I've heard nothing but good about them. You would think that because of the ENUFF model being as small as it is that it would be very limited with it's potential usage>> but I've heard just the opposite. Also I've heard nothing but good stuff about the JUMPMASTER.

I'm seeing a trend develop for more fixed blades on the horizon ( big & small) which tells me that we are going to see more fixed blade models.>> so doesn't it make sense that they would want to make many of these in Spyderedge?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Jumpmaster is one of the finest cutting blades I have ever handled. It is a wicked cutting machine. It would make for a serious self defense knife. I have used it for cutting brush and it is like a machine.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

JD, you are insufferable....I was going to post my reply in French just to be difficult, but as usual...I agree with you. You ask the hard questions that I do not have to...I just ordered a Jumpmaster....I think its going to be my new favorite. Not sure why it took me so long.
I totally agree with you on the Temperance....My Temperance 1 is mint. SE, a total cutting machine. I love it.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:JD, you are insufferable....I was going to post my reply in French just to be difficult, but as usual...I agree with you. You ask the hard questions that I do not have to...I just ordered a Jumpmaster....I think its going to be my new favorite. Not sure why it took me so long.
I totally agree with you on the Temperance....My Temperance 1 is mint. SE, a total cutting machine. I love it.
Oh how I would love to see the TEMP 1 in either XHP, M-4 or any other great blade steel in vogue at this time>> of course I would have to insist on SE & PE both to make it like it was the begin with. Not at all taking anything away from the JUMPMASTER because it is high on my "GOTTA HAVE" list but the handle/purchase/grip of the TEMP 1 is one of my all time favorite handles ever to come forth from Spyderco.

It would be a very affordable fixed blade and it would fill the void that the VAGABOND couldn't' for what ever reason. When they get it right the first time it's hard for me to want anything else>> even though the JUMPMASTER is on my list for sure.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I appreciate my whale rescue. Best serrated fixed blade spyderco makes...... Well once you put a handle on it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I appreciate my whale rescue. Best serrated fixed blade spyderco makes...... Well once you put a handle on it.
Hey VASH what do you mainly use that model for? Because I've thought for a long time that the whale Rescue blade would surely have other uses other than what it's named for. I'm sure that it's an excellent blade for whale rescue but I can't help but believe with the proper handle that would be a monster serrated blade.

And what type of handle did you put on it? I would think that something grippy like G-10 would be nice?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

As much as I am loving my Military SE I am thinking the Aqua Salt might be better with its more subtle serrations and better then The Jumpmaster because of its pointed blade.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
VashHash wrote:I appreciate my whale rescue. Best serrated fixed blade spyderco makes...... Well once you put a handle on it.
Hey VASH what do you mainly use that model for? Because I've thought for a long time that the whale Rescue blade would surely have other uses other than what it's named for. I'm sure that it's an excellent blade for whale rescue but I can't help but believe with the proper handle that would be a monster serrated blade.

And what type of handle did you put on it? I would think that something grippy like G-10 would be nice?
I can't lie i haven't used it yet. I used an old hickory sledge handle i cut down for now. Not fancy by any means. I kinda forgot about it in my car until recently.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I bet that the "WHALE RESCUE" model would be a very useful blade with a conventional handle on it. I just can't believe that knife is only good for one particular job. I've never owned one and now you have me wanting to test drive one :D I don't even know what they cost or where you could even get one other than Spyderco themselves?

It's really sad that the TEMP 1 has gotten lost in time because to me it's close to being close to a perfect fixed blade>> especially when it was available in both edge types and black bladed models as well. I also remember that you could at one time get the original PERRIN model in black back in 2005 or thereabout.

And how can we forget one of Spyderco's great cult classic fixed blades and I"m speaking of the RONIN model ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sort of disappointed and confused as well because we really haven't heard any praise for Spyderco's smaller fixed blades like the SPOT, RONIN, SWICK and STREETBEAT. I'm wondering if those models would have been available in Spyderedge if people would have given them a try? In the past I've heard a lot of really positive fanfare about those aforementioned Spyderco fixed blade models so I know there are a lot of you out there that use them in plain edge which is why I'm wondering why there isn't more intended uses for those models in Spyderedge.

Spyderco has come a long ways with their fixed blade line up and they just get more popular all the time>> so to me it would make perfect sense to see more of them in Spyderedge. I've often wondered how a serrated RONIN or STREETBEAT would do?
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I prefer knives made in the states so I don't have any of their fixed blades. I would love to see a fixed blade in M390 in a leaf style blade like
SPYDERCO TEMPERANCE 2 or SERRATA made in U.S.A.