Store won't be selling Spyderco Knives anymore?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
can't freehand

Re: Store won't be selling Spyderco Knives anymore?

Post by can't freehand »

Cliff Stamp wrote: you could end up with a loss of negotiation power/ability.

That's generally true but considering the nature of the cutlery industry and Spyderco's prominent, if not foremost reputation in that industry, the moment a real loss of margin is caused by Amazon is when those sellers Amazon previously ran out can then come back into play and re-undercut Amazon, presumably, which would of course cause Amazon to back off, and around we go.

I personally think its a great thing for the consumer to be able to buy so cheap from Amazon. Everyone else in the industry is totally cut-throat, especially individual consumers with capital that can afford to burn disposable income in the here and now so as to price-gouge on Ebay later on, say, an S90V Yojimbo if they get tired of looking at it amongst their socks in the dresser. Amazon's pricing empowers the disadvantaged consumer. I proudly purchased my Police 3 for $108 dollars off Amazon with two days shipping and I'd do it again.
ninewalker

Post by ninewalker »

What interests me in that article as well are the podcasters "concerns" about "Spyderco's distribution channel strategies." I've never listened to this podcast so I don't know how knowledgeable these people are. But are they so knowledgeable that they somehow have a beat on how Spyderco decides to distribute their products? Maybe they are just going by their experience, or the article is only playing up this fact, I don't know. It makes me wonder if enthusiasts think this way, i.e. "Oh no, KSF has stopped selling Spydercos. What is Spyderco doing?!", or if the podcasters are belaboring the point.

I think that Amazon selling Spydercos is only ever going to be a good thing if it keeps Sal et al in a good place. Maybe a newer policy is in order for sellers without storefronts, maybe not, I'll leave it to the guys and gals at Golden to figure this one out. All I know is that I will keep supporting Spyderco in any way I can. If that includes buying from Amazon, so be it.
sal

Post by sal »

It's further complicated by the fact that Spyderco feels that our main customer is the ELU (End Line user). Dealers and distributors are a conduit to serve the ELU. We work hard to develop good relationships with our dealers and distributors worldwide, but we never forget where our support comes from.

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
Splice

Post by Splice »

Your interaction and dedication to the ELU is what yields us die-hard fans. I have a huge amount of respect for that and I hold your company in the highest regard for not only making a stellar, innovative product, but for treating your customers like they're people.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

KSF..."well, bye"

Their prices and selection were never competitive for Spyderco. I can name 5 off the top of my head with better prices, selection, and return policies. Howes return policy was garbage too. Just my opinion though
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I think the return policy gets a bad rap. I have had experience working with KSF on a return before. I was able to come to a fair agreement with them prior to sending a blade back due to what I considered poor F&F (the fault of the manufacturer not KSF). I found them (KSF) very reasonable and considerate when we worked it out through our email exchange.
Derrick seems to be a nice enough guy and clearly is fond of knives. He's good to go in my book.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

jtoler_9 wrote:I think the return policy gets a bad rap. I have had experience working with KSF on a return before. I was able to come to a fair agreement with them prior to sending a blade back due to what I considered poor F&F (the fault of the manufacturer not KSF). I found them (KSF) very reasonable and considerate when we worked it out through our email exchange.
Derrick seems to be a nice enough guy and clearly is fond of knives. He's good to go in my book.
I disagree as I said earlier I did not have a good experience. An internet business where your customers never get to pick up the item especially one so personal like a knife should have a better return policy. How does 20% + return shipping work anyway, my $500 knife cost more to re shelf than a $100 give me a break. It shows me they are far more concerned about themselves and the inconvenience of being in business than a customers satisfaction.

I don't want to change the OPS post. Bottom line I for one have had plenty of good experiences with dealers who sell Spyderco. I have not bought a lot of Spyderco's but I have bought a lot a whole lot of knives. The customer service of your dealers is very important because they are your customers point of first contact if they have a question or a problem or have never bought your product. How they treat your customers will affect you. It is not always about the bottom dollar for the customer.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I don't think Canadian retailers have anything to worry about. Whether prices are higher or lower on Amazon is hit or miss, swinging wildly, but even Amazon isn't going to have sales like my favourite dealer does.

You also don't get much for dealer reputation on Amazon.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I also collect Star Wars figures, and a common practice is when dishonest people buy a new figure from a big box store, take it home and open the package and replace it with an older, less desirable one. The reason why this works is because WalMart and Target sell EVERYTHING. As such, the people who work there are rarely experts on any one particular thing.

The reason I do not buy from Amazon is because the people who ship and do returns work with so many different types of items, and such volume that there is no possible way they can keep track of what is being sent back to them, not to mention have the expertise to be able to identify a used knife or a counterfeit. Also many times you end up buying through an Amazon storefront... and that could be anyone.

I only buy through reputable dealers. I can see why Spyderco requires a brick and mortar storefront (to prevent drop shippers) but maybe they can find some way to vet online retailers who are not just weekend warriors.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:I only buy through reputable dealers. I can see why Spyderco requires a brick and mortar storefront (to prevent drop shippers) but maybe they can find some way to vet online retailers who are not just weekend warriors.
It might help a bit, but volume discounts were the norm in business 50 years ago when I was in retail and I'm sure they're still the norm today. So, I'd expect Amazon would still get a better price than anyone else. There may be rare exceptions, but a small retailer who assumes he would get the same price from a manufacturer that a retailer doing 10 or 100 times his volume gets "if only" he could buy direct, is almost always just deluding himself.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mic1 wrote:I disagree as I said earlier I did not have a good experience. An internet business where your customers never get to pick up the item especially one so personal like a knife should have a better return policy. How does 20% + return shipping work anyway, my $500 knife cost more to re shelf than a $100 give me a break. It shows me they are far more concerned about themselves and the inconvenience of being in business than a customers satisfaction.
Mic1 wrote:They waved it after I threatened to go on ever forum and social media site and complain.
I thought the restocking fee was waived so that you wouldn't bad-mouth them on forums...seems like it didn't work.

You have to remember that Policies are written for the worst case scenario. How many times have we seen Sal, via this forum, do something that their Policy says they won't do? My mom always said, it never hurts to ask. Sometimes being understanding of their Policy, but and then asking (not demanding) them to do something different in a polite fashion will work wonders.

At my gym it is our Policy to charge a client who cancels less than 24 hours in advance. However, we've waived that many times based on circumstance. I think it's the case that most small business owners are reasonable people who's generosity has been taken advantage of far more often than the opposite is true.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I understand a small business having a hard time competing with big stores. My family ownes a small outdoor store with a Bass Pro and Gander mountain just 15-20 minutes away. I can remember going back a few years Bass Pro was selling 870 shotguns for like $110.00 we could not buy them at that price from The distributor. That's tough to compete with and make a living.

My father owned a book company till he died, He sold books to every library in the United States, My grandfather ownes the gun store, and I own a high end remodeling company. Our business run on customer service word of mouth and providing services that the big companies can't, won't, or don't offer. Going above and beyond the customers expectations and truly caring about there experience as well as there business. Make the customer apart of the family. Be more knowledgeable about your products than a sales guy at the big company That's the only way to compete with bigger companies.

Had they just taken it back without me having to negotiate the terms of my return over emails and phone calls I would have nothing bad to say in a forum would I? Please don't try to justify self serving customer service that dog won't hunt !
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I honestly never bought Spyderco's from KSF. I've bought several other knives from them, though, and been happy with their service.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Derrick was my local knife dealer until he decided to leave the state. I was willing to pay his prices for most knives, but his Spyderco prices just weren't competitive at all. I think the recent ivory ban in Oregon has more to do with his move than anything else.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have bought several Spyderco's and one or two ESEE's and a few others from Derrick at KSF. Always had excellent service, though the prices tended to be a bit higher than some other places - perhaps that was why he still had the particular model in stock that I was looking for when other's were sold out. I never had to return a knife to him. Occasionally he would have a sale price that was lower than other stores also.

I think there was a bit of flack when he raised his concerns over ESEE starting to ship their knives in boxes instead of just in the plastic bags they used to use, stated it was costing him more to ship them because of the boxes. He might be feeling the squeeze in several different lines where there isn't a lot of room between his costs and what he feels he can charge for them. He does seem to be able to do well with Bark River knives. I hope he does well at his new location even if he won't be carrying Spyderco's. I may still buy an occasional Koster or Fiddleback Forge knife from him.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Great point, I would much rather spend a few extra dollars and get the genuine Spyderco from a trusted store than spend a few dollars less on one I do not know is for real or counterfeit.
I prefer to buy from online knife retailers. I have not seriously checked prices from Amazon to others and I would pay a few dollars more if necessary to buy from a knife dealer that I trust.

I have heard of people getting counterfeit items from Amazon.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

His company, his choice. Never bought a Spyderco knife through them as I could usually find it elsewhere at a lower price. Mostly I have bought Great Eastern Cutlery knives through KSF. Picked up one Benchmade when I couldn't find it anywhere else. All me dealings with KSF & Derrick have been positive. The move to Michigan should help his business as far as selling Bark River knives and their associated companies. I wish him all the best.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have used Derrick's site a couple of times, to buy Spyderco's, actually. I recall that he is a very nice guy and seemed to put a lot into service and communication. I feel bad that the Spyderco line is no longer something he can offer, and I wish him well.