Mid knife crisis !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mic1

Mid knife crisis !

Post by Mic1 »

I am having a mid knife crisis. I thought the para 2 was maybe the best knife I had ever used. I love that it is light, strong , relatively inexpensive great ergonomics just an all around great knife. But lately I just can't put the Manix 2 down Great design also, great ergonomics, the action is so smooth,and the lock is great too. The G-10 with the S110V blade is really growing on me. The G-10 is a little heavy for running shorts or swim suite but the FRN S110V lightweight with the wire works great. Both the G-10 and Lightweight are so inexpensive for the quality. I am so torn I hold both, open them close them back and forth. Its a mid knife crisis :eek: :D
3rdGenRigger

Re: Mid knife crisis !

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Sounds like you also need a Military. And something serrated from the Salt lineup. Then you can start thinking about a mid knife crisis lol.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
swigert

Post by swigert »

Wait till you enter Taichung land!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I've been having the same "crisis". I'm going back and fourth between the PM2 being my favorite and Manix XL and although the PM2 is almost perfect, the XL just fits my hand and feels better overall plus I prefer the larger blade. My XL is a CF/s90v version and the PM2 is a s35vn so that may be part of it but overall if both were black g10 and s30v I think I'd still go with the XL. The big downside on the XL is the clip positioning, I really wish it was redesigned to the military style with the triangle pattern over the pivot but over the lanyard hole in this case. Wire clip would be even better.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Both are great knives I just seem to be gravitating towards the m2. I like how the blade is forward into the cut. It just fits my hand really well.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Interesting .l am debating between PM2 and M2 myself .I' m 55 so I don't know about that crisis but I like both so much that you can call it like that.I am gravitating towards PM 2 myself but just because it's more spydish, more tacticool and slander But when LW M2 in S110 V entered the game, the competition got fierce.My conclusion : Both are great folders.M2 has better ergonomics specially behind the choil and the blade shape is more organic IMO but it's wider in the pocket .But when those LW Manix iterations were released they almost changed the name of the game if I mai say so.As you see my conclusion is no conclusion.It's an ongoing quest for me.At the end of the day I'll flip a coin and don't look behind :confused:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Manix 2 XL is my all time favorite so far, the one that I would give up last, but I do carry the regular size G10 M2s more often because of convenience -- they're a close second. I keep on trying to like the PM2 more; I'm fond of the Millie and Para I but really like the Superleaf, sort of a cross between the M2 & PM2. I just like its blade shape better, similar to M2 but with a tiny bit more belly toward the tip, like the M2-XL. I favor the CBBL but have nothing against the Superleaf's compression lock.

However, I'm still hoping to score one of the natural G10 M4 BladeHQ PM2 exclusives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man have I been there. I once carried a Para 2 exclusively for over a year, and the Para 1 for about as long before that. When the Manix 2 was new and all the rage, I bought one on impulse and carried it about a week before selling it. I was drawn in my the jimping and lock design (I went through this phase where I thought jimping was the coolest thing ever).

After that I swore off that model for a few years until one day I was offered a good price on the M4 sprint and took a chance. That knife changed everything. I realized it wasn't the knife, it was my disliking of low hollow grinds and 154CM. Once they started making them FFG and gave them S30V, it was a game changer for me. I've found that the ergos are better for my size hand, especially behind the choil. I also like a lower thumb ramp and would love this knife even more if it didn't have any at all.

Then the LW came out and once I got over my fears of not having full liners, it sealed the deal. I haven't carried my Para 2 more than once or twice in probably 3 years. It isn't that it's not a great knife, it's just that the Manix works better for me.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Any of my knives are "the best" on a specific day. That is why I like to rotate them. I get that wow-this-is-the-best-knife-ever feeling about once a day! :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

True^
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

palonej

Post by palonej »

^ YUP!!!
I love that time in the morning choosing the pocket rider for the day!
Also choosing a different passenger at night!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Brock O Lee wrote:Any of my knives are "the best" on a specific day. That is why I like to rotate them. I get that wow-this-is-the-best-knife-ever feeling about once a day! :D
This.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

palonej wrote:^ YUP!!!
I love that time in the morning choosing the pocket rider for the day!
Also choosing a different passenger at night!
Could be challenging to decide, following how many knives you own ! :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

IMG_1498.JPG

The M2 won this morning no heavy work today just some pencil sharpening and tape.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Brock O Lee wrote:Any of my knives are "the best" on a specific day. That is why I like to rotate them. I get that wow-this-is-the-best-knife-ever feeling about once a day! :D
Me too! And when you go two or three weeks without carrying a specific knife, it's like getting a new one when you carry it again :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I like your play on words. "Mid knife crisis" compared to "mid-life crisis". It brings to mind why knives are better than girls. Our knives are always there ready to go with us from one day to the next. They never complain when another knife is picked. Girls usually don't put up with standing in line waiting to be selected for any given day. :D

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jackknifeh wrote:I like your play on words. "Mid knife crisis" compared to "mid-life crisis". It brings to mind why knives are better than girls. Our knives are always there ready to go with us from one day to the next. They never complain when another knife is picked. Girls usually don't put up with standing in line waiting to be selected for any given day. :D

Jack
Also, a midwife crisis might be bad news :rolleyes: