A message for Golden on the Native 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: A message for Golden on the Native 5 LW

Post by araneae »

I thought the Manix was always FRCP. The Native was where confusion started and it was indeed FRN. At least that is where i thought we stood. It definitely has a different texture, whatever this N5 is made of and I prefer the older texture.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

araneae wrote:I thought the Manix was always FRCP. The Native was where confusion started and it was indeed FRN. At least that is where i thought we stood. It definitely has a different texture, whatever this N5 is made of and I prefer the older texture.
The translucent blue BD1 was. The s110v model was originally described as frn.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Here's an idea that I am throwing against the wall...Sal, how about having the Caly series molds, tools, ect shipped to Golden. Then start making the Caly 3 and 3.5 with the new back lock BUT in Golden. Far superior knife to the Native in my opinion and it has S^/_ written on it so it deserves to be made in the US. Then much later, after you have made your investment back, we can sprint that bad boy six ways till Sunday. Again, just thinking out loud friends
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It doesn't really matter to me either. I think it feels different than my frn knives too. I wasn't sure if it was just in my head or not. I thought it was confirmed as frcp but then when I went to the product page to order a forum knife it said frn so I was confused. Just curious...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It doesn't really matter to me either. I think it feels different than my frn knives too. I wasn't sure if it was just in my head or not. I thought it was confirmed as frcp but then when I went to the product page to order a forum knife it said frn so I was confused. Just curious...
Feels different and sounds different. Tap your nail or a coin against the material and it is obviously something different than the japanese frn knives. I suppose it might be frn but if it is, it's definitely not the same formula as some of the other frn. Like you though, I don't really care which material it is...just casual curiosity.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I believe confirmed FRN for the native.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It felt so light that I just had to weigh it.

Native5 Fluted Ti 116.7g
Native5 G10 2013 forum knife 100.6g
Native5 LW 2015 forum knife 68.6g
Delica4 Super Blue 65.1g
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Do you notice rubbing or a difference in smoothness when you open it one handed vs carefully opening it without putting any lateral pressure on it? I find it flexed enough to rub rather easily. But that's going off my flawed version.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

I remember this feeling. These are the kinds of threads that made me really spend back in the day...

Sounds like an outstanding knife! I've always been a fan of the Native family, and it's amazing to see how far it has come!
Nate

Post by Nate »

VashHash wrote: I missed out on this forum native kinda forgot it was happening.
I've been pointing this out here and there, you didn't miss it!

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details ... nomobile=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forum2105 is the discount code.

Seems like Spyderco listened to everyone calling for a bigger run after the 2013 Native sold out so fast, but people don't realize they're still available.
:spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah i found this out yesterday i might have to pick one up this week
swigert

Post by swigert »

I cannot believe they are still there!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I really like my Native5 (FORUM 2015 ~ C41MR5) with S90V for just $96! Not a fan of FRN specially liner-less but you have to concede the lightweight. Last year I got the KnifeCenter exclusive C41PBN Native Lightweight with CTS-XHP Blade and Brown FRN Handles for $90 and I can tell you that this C41MR5 Native has much better quality since the blade on the KC one can't be centered. For just $6 more you get better build, better steel and FFG.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone,
The lightweight Native 5 (all of them) are FRN. Hopefully this clears up any and all confusion. :)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

TazKristi wrote:Hi everyone,
The lightweight Native 5 (all of them) are FRN. Hopefully this clears up any and all confusion. :)

Kristi
Thank you very much for clarifying that
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TazKristi wrote:Hi everyone,

Kristi
Thank you for the clarification Kristi. I would have guessed by the feel that these were FRCP like the Manix but good to know that these are indeed FRN. My apologies to all for creating confusion earlier in the thread. Memory failed me...oddly enough that seems to happen more frequently with the passing years. Hmmm... :eek: :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Lance,

When they speak of the "Golden Years", the "G" is silent.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hey Lance,

When they speak of the "Golden Years", the "G" is silent.

sal
You may be right but its hard to say as I can't hear worth a dang anymore. Also reading glasses are now a permanent fixture, hair is leaving my head and growing out of my nose and ears and I'm starting to make those weird grunts that my Dad makes sitting down and standing up. Thankfully I've still got my dashing good looks and charming personality to fall back on. :rolleyes:
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Love my N5's...I have a SE and the 2015 Forum Knife!
and a g-10 (but that's not LW)
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spydieh0le wrote:Image
Love my N5's...I have a SE and the 2015 Forum Knife!
and a g-10 (but that's not LW)
Interesting pair. Can't wait to see what the baby looks like.