Sage or Native...Your thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greatscott

Sage or Native...Your thoughts

Post by greatscott »

I am looking at picking up a Sage or a Native and was looking for some guidance. Specifically I am looking at the Ti versions of these. I am leaning towards the Sage 2 over the native because I feel the liner lock is easier to operate one handed (closing specifically), but really like the lines of the Native. This would be my EDC and would not see really heavy use. I would consider a Sage 3 but have no experience with the Bolt locking mechanism.
swigert

Re: Sage or Native...Your thoughts

Post by swigert »

Do you have the budget to get both?
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

swigert wrote:Do you have the budget to get both?
Spoken like a true Spydieholic. I will probably own both eventually, but not sure which one to get first.
paladin

Post by paladin »

All the Sage series are OUTSTANDING...

The Sage 2 requires less manipulation to close from a standard hammer or sabre grip v. the Native... as you have surmised already...

Matter of fact, it probably has the most accessible frame lock of any knife I've used...

This aids in ease of closing, but it may be "too accessible" for some folks tastes who worry about accidental disengagement (not me)...

You will indeed get both, but I'd go with the S2 first-- the Taichung F&F will knock your socks off!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Sage 2 and Native 5 G10 are both excellent. The patterns are very similar.

I would say the Sage is closer to perfection straight out of the box. Two things I 'fixed' on the Native was to camfer the edges of the G10, and to add a deep carry pocket clip. None of these were necessary on the Sage. I carry them both about equally.

I thinned out the primary grind some time ago, which made the Sage a slicer of note!

This combo is in my pocket today
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The bolt action lock is awesome, one of the smoothest knives you'll ever use! I vote sage 3.
Uke

Post by Uke »

greatscott wrote:...I am leaning towards the Sage 2 over the native because I feel the liner lock is easier to operate one handed (closing specifically), but really like the lines of the Native...
I've had a few Sages and they're great knives but for me I'd pick the Native all day long. The Native feels more compact to me and just handles that little bit better. If you're worried about closing the back lock, the Native 5's blade just drops effortlessly with pressure to the lock release which can then be tucked away with the index finger, making it a breeze to close one handed. That lock is an absolute pleasure to use..a cracking bit of engineering.

YMMV though so clearly the best course is to buy both! :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

Just a little reminder that the 2015 Forum Native is another option. Plenty of stock now (surprisingly) but they won't be around forever. Something about a combo of the maroon frn and the ti Sage sounds appealing to me this morning :)
:spyder:
APS

Post by APS »

The ti native can be easily closed one handed and the pattern in the handles is gorgeous. It will also hide wear much better. If you shop around they won't be too far apart in price. I've had both and kept the ti native.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am pretty impressed by the durability of the Sage 2's ti handles. After 2 years I have no (like in zero) 'snail trails' or scratches. It has not seen rough use, but I carried it often, and I did not specifically baby it.

The Casey Lynch ti scales on my Para2 has seen a fraction of use in comparison, and already has a few marks. I suspect it is because it has a rougher bead blasted texture, but the Sage is smooth.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They are both terrific. For me the Native rides better in the pocket and the Sage fits better in the hand. They are very close though. I find the Native easy to close one handed. I LOVE my Sage3. The bolt lock is smooth as glass and very easy to operate. You can't go wrong with either one really. I have three native5s (ti,g10 and LW) and a Sage3 and 4. I love them all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This comes down to 3 simple differences and what you prefer most out of them.

1) Materials. At this point the Native wins out on steel options, but the Sage may have the win for handle options.

2) Lock Options. This goes to the Sage obviously. For me this is why the Sage takes the win, that bolt lock is amazing.

3) Do you want a thumb ramp or not? Sage has a small one, Native doesn't. Otherwise the ergos are very similar.

That said, other than the G10 forum Native, I haven't held a Native that can compete with the Taichung fit and finish. Handle a Sage 1 and you'll understand.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sage has wire clip, +1. Native available in S90V, +1. If you are wanting to compare G10 Native to a Sage, I personally like the Sage better but you mentioned EDC and the LW Native is much lighter for toting. Also how big are your hands? If big, the Sage series (especially the S3) has more real estate for full grip. You can't really go wrong either way, and either could compete for #2 behind the Caly 3.5 for EDC supremacy.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Looking specifically at the Ti versions, I would have to give the nod to the Sage 2. To me, the ergos are more comfortable for large hands, it's a little bit lighter weight, and it's quite a bit less expensive than the Fluted Ti Native 5. Plus, I will choose a knife with a wire clip every time over a standard clip.

Both are extremely well made and worth their respective prices, but overall I just enjoy the using the Sage a little bit more.

(Sage 3 is my favorite so far due to the super smooth bolt action lock, but if you want Ti, that's irrelevant.)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

With all the great advice that has gone before in this thread there isn't much to add...

I would second the rave reviews of the bolt action lock.

My personal experience is that I like the feel in the hand of the Sage 3 over my 2015 Native (FRN vs. G10, so maybe no bearing on your choices), as the Native has sharper feeling edges, also I like the deeper carry clip on the Sage, despite the fact that it's definitely bigger in the pocket than the Native.

That said, I'm glad to own both and fully expect to get a Sage 1 and another Native of some sort before it's all over ...the fluted Ti would be my choice in an N5, but I'll have a hard time justifying it to myself at the current price; I've waaay over spent on knives lately :P
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

greatscott wrote: Specifically I am looking at the Ti versions of these. I am leaning towards the Sage 2 over the native because I feel the liner lock is easier to operate one handed (closing specifically), but really like the lines of the Native.
of cause Native5. I carry mid locks for years and never had a problem to close one handed. These are very good reliable locks.
Also I have no idea how can you resist to this

or these

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Speaking of the ti versions of these, I prefer the contours of the fluted Native 5 in the hand. But I prefer the deep carry, wire clip of the Sage 2 in the pocket.

The Sage 3's bolt action is also great.
:bug-red-white
swigert

Post by swigert »

If you want a most discreet knife the sage is the answer
remnar

Post by remnar »

I prefer the ergos and clip of the Sage, but the Ti native is exquisite.