Camp Para 2 Black .. Clip screw size?trying to move

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeyluke

Camp Para 2 Black .. Clip screw size?trying to move

Post by mikeyluke »

Trying to move the clip on my new Para 2.
The general consensus here says the clip screws are size T6, not this one.
T6is too big. Gotta be a 5 or 4.
Is this the mark of a fake? Kinda worried, just got it from Amazon.
What do you guys think?
Mike
MattM68

Re: Camp Para 2 Black .. Clip screw size?trying to move

Post by MattM68 »

I think you might need a different torx kit. Just stop by your local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes. It shouldn't be expensive, and it'll be well worth it. :)

Matt

EDIT: I just saw on your other post that you just bought a new set. I wouldn't still consider the possibility that you just have a bad fitting T6. Keep us updated!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea that's a bit strange. Torx drivers fit a bit loose in the hole from my experience, and T6 is the clip screw on any spydie I've messed with.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Torx bits can vary depending on manufacturers. I use T5,T6 and T7. When you have a complete set then you just need to use the bit that fits the screw best.

If you are worried about your PM2 then post some photo's of it and our resident experts will help you out :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:Yea that's a bit strange. Torx drivers fit a bit loose in the hole from my experience, and T6 is the clip screw on any spydie I've messed with.

Most, but not all. The current G10 Manix 2 uses a T8. I still have a few of them that I swapped over onto a Yojimbo 2. The screw heads don't look as nice as the T6 heads, but the larger heads seem to strip much less. I chose to use them in my Yo 2 because they're also a tad bit longer, and protrude just a tiny bit past the inside of the liners, which makes me feel safer when it comes to stripping liner threads.

As far as the Para 2 goes, they should definitely be T6, but whatever fits best is what fits best. Not all bit drivers are created equally, and some that even have brand names on them aren't made with the best quality. I have actually taken knives to hardware stores just to test fit the bits in various screws to see how they fit. It's also a good idea to monitor wear on the bit tips...they do get rounded off after a lot of use and need replaced.

Ran across this pic, thought I'd add it for reference.

Manix 2 screws:
They were the same on the DLC Manix 2 as well

Typical clip screws:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've swapped the clip position on about 12 Para 2s. All with the T6 bit from my Husky Torx set (which is still going strong after 5 years of use).

I would guess your Torx bits are a bit out of spec (assuming you have a real Para 2).
:bug-red-white