Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
palonej

Re: D4/E4 Hardware warning for tinkerers....

Post by palonej »

Yup!!
HVAC, electrical, plumbing, refrigeration and structural for 40 years.......my Pacific Salt was TIGHT after thousands of closing a and openings.
Figured it would be cake to open her up and loosen things up a bit.......she is in Golden as we speak.....in lots of pieces!
Lesson learned!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I recall during my S&W armorers training the factory instructor ( won't mention name) told me when they received the 5 gallon buckets of screws from vendors the good ones were at the top and the out of spec garbage ones were always hidden at the bottom of the bucket by the vendors.

It's entirely possible to get a bad screw here or there but a certain amount of people that post about problems have contributed to those problems in some way. We get true expert hands on guys here, knife makers who are very good, and lots of guys like me that shouldn't be allowed near anything smaller than 1 inch bolts and railroad track repair sized tools. I no longer have the dexterity to even pick up and hold a screw for my endura.

I seem to get by without having to take any of my knives apart though. Some of My Spydercos go back to 92 and are in great condition with the lock back bearing surface smooth as glass. We are all certainly different people.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Mastiff wrote:I seem to get by without having to take any of my knives apart though.
Omigosh. ;) This is a deeply counter-cultural idea. :eek: :spyder:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Mastiff wrote:
It's entirely possible to get a bad screw here or there but a certain amount of people that post about problems have contributed to those problems in some way. We get true expert hands on guys here, knife makers who are very good, and lots of guys like me that shouldn't be allowed near anything smaller than 1 inch bolts and railroad track repair sized tools. I no longer have the dexterity to even pick up and hold a screw for my endura.

I seem to get by without having to take any of my knives apart though.
Like trainee magicians learn: the skill isn't in sawing the lady in half, it's in getting her back together in one, working, piece again ;)

And I have met supposed 'skilled workers' who- if handed a 40lb cube of hardened tool-steel- would manage to break it then lose one of the pieces.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Sounds like you have an opportunity to sell aftermarket repair kits now.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

i mainly miss the simplicity and love the Salt 1 which arrived, even if with new screws which will remain untouched....too many decades (5) of closed back knife use to feel i need to disassemble to clean, even if dropped in mud or sand, key being to swish in water BEFORE attempting to move blade
Yep. I even clean the knife out of the box from the factory before it's first opening. There is sometimes stuff from polishing hiding there and it is abrasive and collects other things as time goes by. I first clean everything, seal it with tuff glide, then wait a day or two and when dry I then use nothing but dry teflon lubes. Keeping grit out is what allows the parts to seat and smooth up over time without groves from trapped abrasive whatevers.

I despise dirty bearing surfaces on guns and knives. They ruin all that engineering work done mating steel types, and hardness's that are just right for long time use. As it is the higher vanadium blade stocks used take longer to polish and mate and I'm not going to let the process get screwed up from grit. I still have knives I've had since my childhood in the 60's and they are in better condition than when I acquired them.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

I just rinse my Delica and then use a drop of 3&1 oil
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »