Pingo Ti

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brick

Re: Pingo Ti

Post by brick »

They did a really nice job matching the scales to the back spring. I'll also mention that spring force feels just right to me. Strong but not ridiculously so.
TiMaxPingo_8.JPG
I maintain that perfection of blade centering is an irrelevant and silly thing to worry about (just my opinion). But this is an expensive knife and some people are going to get bent out of shape if they expect perfection and don't get it. So here you go:
TiMaxPingo_9.JPG
And yes, I took the clip off. I've been trying some knives clipless in the LFP with my wallet and I kinda like it.
-Tim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks Brick! I definitely see what you mean about the three colors now. Like I said, I like it!

Funny, I never gave any thought to how the logo was created. I didn't relaize it was anodized, which makes perfect sense. If someone were so inclined I wonder if they could anodize the rest of the scale to hide the appearance of the logo. Basically an alternative to trying to remove the logo. Or maybe anodizing everything but the logo so that you created some sort of contrast. I like my knives stock, so it won't be me but it would be neat to see.

Blade centering is only an issue for me when the blade is physically hitting the liner. Otherwise it's just an aesthetics thing.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
brick

Post by brick »

You might be right about anodizing the entire thing. I think you just need the appropriate chemical (mild acid?) bath and DC power supply. I bet the scales would look great tumbled as well. But I'm with you...no plan to mess with it.

The blade on mine clears the scales by a mile.
-Tim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ooooh now that's a good idea. Stone wash the whole thing, keep the logo. That would look great I'll bet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
brick

Post by brick »

It turns out that the TiMax Pingo incorporates what I can only assume to be phosphor bronze washers to keep the pivot working smoothly. (Let's not explore how I know that and instead accept that I now take extra precautions to ensure the cleanliness and oiling of my knives.)
-Tim
brick

Post by brick »

I've been carrying this knife pretty much non-stop since I got it. The only down-side is that, as expected, the Ti scales scratch and scuff every time you look at them wrong. I was getting away with it until the one time I dropped it in my pocket with my keys. My plan is to just roll with it and hope for a nice patina. (I've played the "gotta keep it perfect" game before and it's a recipe for misery...not worth it.)

On the up-side I still think it makes an ideal weekday EDC for me. Weight over the FRN Pingo is noticeable but not enough to bother me. It's worth it for something that feels this solid in the hand. The Elmax blade is definitely overkill for what I need but I'll gladly take it. (It still shaves after nearly a month. If I tried to touch it up I'd just make it dull!) I'd sum it up by saying that the FRN/N690 version is obviously a better value since it does all of the same things for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price, but the TiMax Pingo brings more than enough "je ne sais quoi" to justify itself to someone who already digs this pattern.

I'm thinking that a regular production version with bug-less or even stone washed or blasted Ti scales and N690 steel to suppress costs would be a nice addition with wider appeal.
-Tim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the input Tim. I've ordered the last one that Howes had for $150 and I'm hoping to get my hands on it Friday. It's clearly an extravagant piece, but we need to spoil ourselves every now and then.

@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

brick wrote:I think you just need the appropriate chemical (mild acid?) bath and DC power supply.
Correct. I have anodized titanium with Coke, 9v batteries hooked together, and alligator clips--one clip (can't remember + or -) goes to the titanium and the other is attached to a piece of sponge with which you paint. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love my Pingo. My mother actually stole my first one when she was visiting last summer, so I had to buy another one. I'm getting her this version for her birthday this year. :)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

brick wrote:
IG-88 wrote:I got one from Howe :)
Pics or it's a [voluntarily redacted for shiny footprints]. ;)
Here you are :)

Got mine, it's a real gem! What a sweet knife!

I love the small plastic protector that Spyderco added between the clip and scale! No scratches any more, I hope to see this improvement on all knives with a scale prone to scratching! Thx Spyderco for this small but very effective protection!

I believe that the question was if the ano would turn out blue or purple.... well depending on the angle it changes from blue...

to purple :D

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That same plastic protector comes on the bolstered models too, you remove it before using. Then let the scratching begin.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the photos, you really captured the color change nicely. I got mine yesterday.

@liquid_cobra
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Thanks for the input Tim. I've ordered the last one that Howes had for $150 and I'm hoping to get my hands on it Friday. It's clearly an extravagant piece, but we need to spoil ourselves every now and then.
Slightly OT, but from what I read in the last email Howes sent me, it sounds like they are no longer going to carry Spyderco knives. Bummer, as it seems like they were fairly popular among the forum users.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

jabba359 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Thanks for the input Tim. I've ordered the last one that Howes had for $150 and I'm hoping to get my hands on it Friday. It's clearly an extravagant piece, but we need to spoil ourselves every now and then.
Slightly OT, but from what I read in the last email Howes sent me, it sounds like they are no longer going to carry Spyderco knives. Bummer, as it seems like they were fairly popular among the forum users.
What? Did they say why??

@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
jabba359 wrote:
What? Did they say why??
Very surprising if true, they dropped the Emerson line like a bad habit a year or so ago
Nate

Post by Nate »

Liquid Cobra wrote: What? Did they say why??
I also noticed that they appeared to be dropping Spyderco. It looks like they are focusing their inventory on Hinderers and customs.

From their home page:
"HKS specializes in FIXED BLADES/CUSTOM FOLDERS/UTILITY KNIVES/BUSHCRAFT/HUNTING/SURVIVAL & CAMP KNIVES"
:spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea I noticed this as well when I got their emails about all the spyderco sales/closeouts. It is indeed sad, as I enjoyed ordering from them. However, Spyderco does have quite the extensive line-up, and you can't fault them for dealing in products that they're most enthusiastic about. I'll still check back there from time to time to see if there's anything I'm interested in.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Anyone else grab one? I want this pretty bad, any thoughts on the price dropping at some point? Definitely at my threshold for a knife this size. Any enablers out there?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

New graham knives has them for 176, best price I could find. I've been carrying mine since I got it. It really is such a cool little knife.

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I got mine on close out from Howes for $150.

:) on the price.

:( on Howes closing out their Spydies.