Best folder for skinning whitetail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jec

Re: Best folder for skinning whitetail

Post by Jec »

I know what you mean talking about how everyone will say fixed blade. Where I grew up, everyone and I mean everyone used an oldtimer stockman or a case stockman to field dress and quarter up a deer. When I first started hunting, I remember the first time I showed up to help work up a deer an older man had killed with a huge fixed blade. You should have seen the looks on the older mens faces and I was almost laughed out of deer camp and I had the nickname Rambo for a few seasons after that( I might have weighed 120 lbs at the time). This was back in the early 80's. After that, I too used an Old Timer stockman for years. I don't know a lot about Spyderco's , but I can say a Delica will work fine!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never skinned and cleaned a deer with a Delica nor a Stretch, but given the blade shapes, I think they would do just fine; especially the Stretch.

I have cleaned deer (and fox, squirrels, rabbits, birds, ducks, etc) with a Buck 110 folder, and other assorted knives in years past.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:I have never skinned and cleaned a deer with a Delica nor a Stretch, but given the blade shapes, I think they would do just fine; especially the Stretch.

I have cleaned deer (and fox, squirrels, rabbits, birds, ducks, etc) with a Buck 110 folder, and other assorted knives in years past.
I agree that any of them would work fine...the stretch probably has the best blade shape and belly for the job.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The K2 would be one of the better choices for Skinning due to the large belly and up swept tip.

Trailing points are great for skinning.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Ankerson wrote:The K2 would be one of the better choices for Skinning due to the large belly and up swept tip.

I thought about K2 it would be a good alternative to a fixed blade. 10v large frame folding knife it looks pretty good. You did cut test with one of these if I remember your chart correct how did it handle it looks beefy.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I remember Sal saying Eric designed the foundry to be a do it all knife including hunting and skinning. GreT blade shape but imho it would be to slippery. I do love mine though.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I would say Stretch.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mic1 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:The K2 would be one of the better choices for Skinning due to the large belly and up swept tip.

I thought about K2 it would be a good alternative to a fixed blade. 10v large frame folding knife it looks pretty good. You did cut test with one of these if I remember your chart correct how did it handle it looks beefy.

Handled fine and it's a frame lock so it will be very easy to clean.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For me, two things mitigate against the K2. First, it is overly large for skinning a deer. 3 1/2 to 3 3/4" blades are about optimal. Second, it is a frame lock/liner lock. I do not feel, based on experience, that they can be trusted not to fail during hard use and skinning a deer can put stress on a knife. However, if someone is comfortable with them, then that okay. They are not for me. Back locks are much safer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I would trust my frame locks to skin deer no problem no more or less dependable than a back lock. I was on an bow hunting trip in Montana for antelope. One of the older guys wanted me to sharpen his little buck back lock he bought when he first came over from Germany. There was so much grime built up in the lock I could close it like a slip joint. Any lock will do as long as it works. For me a lock back is a pain to clean where with an open frame you can just rinse in a stream or whatever Run a rag or shirt through it till you have time and a good place to take it apart. Another reason I like stainless for folders and carbon steel for fixed blades.

That begs the question would M4 make a good fixed blade.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the K2 (at least in pictures) is robust enough for skinning. With the long blade too there is a better chance to avoid getting blood in the pivot too.

I still think something like the Southfork would be ideal tho.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The K2 would be my choice ;)
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have used a PM2 and Sage 1 for processing mule deer. Processed an entire mule deer with each knife and while they are not the best tools I have used for the job they worked. The PM2 worked better than the Sage 1 for me because of the PM2's ergonomics and how I manipulate the knife to process the animal.

Each blade style has its trade offs, a slender blade profile with less belly will excel at gutting and zipping up under the hide on the legs. It will also make a better choice for removal of the backstraps with the least amount of meat loss. For the tenderloins I just remove them gently by hand without using a blade, just get your hand in behind them and separate from the spinal column. A blade with more belly excels during the major hide removal process which is of less importance to me since a considerable amount of this work can be accomplished by simply pulling down on the hide to separate it from the carcass. Everyone processes their game animals differently so you will have to determine which strengths and weaknesses fit your style best.

The K2 mentioned would be a good choice in my opinion if you are looking for a folding knife with a lot of belly and that 10v should hold a great working edge for a couple animals or more. Whatever you choose I hope you get the chance to put it to use this fall and report back on how it performed.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I was looking at the dyad it might be good as well. Having the serrated blade for the rib cage and tough joints and the little almost bird and trout blade. Its a lock back and might be a bit tricky to clean.